Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 40D ISO Testing  (Read 1157 times)

daethon

Canon 40D ISO Testing
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:23:18 am »

I recently purchased a Canon 40D, upgrading from a decrepit 20D that was on its last leg over a year ago.  I'd found myself shooting at ISO 200 most of the time, even in broad daylight because I didn't really see a quality difference between 100/200.  

I've heard a lot about the 40D having a lot better performance at higher ISOs, so my question is this:

How do I test the performance between 100/200/400 on the 40D?  To define:  By performance I am referring specifically to:  Image Quality, Graininess, and Color quality.  

Is there a testing swatch that y'all would recommend, or should I look for a specific scene, should it be darker or brighter out...etc.  

As an aside, I was also curious about the "intermediary ISOs."  320, 1000, etc.  Someone suggested that these might be software implementations, like to achieve 320 the camera really shoots at 400 with at 1/3 stop over exposed Tv and 1/3 underexposed Av.  I ask, because if it is just doing that, I can do that on my own, and control the situation better...but, if it is actually capturing the shot "differently" then I'd use those values.  

Thanks in advance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up