Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pack for Canon 500mm f/4  (Read 10394 times)

edorm

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:10 pm »

Hi all,

As soon as Allen from Allen's Camera calls me back I will place my order for the Canon 500mm f/4 IS with a new tripod and Wimberley II head. I'm already starting to hyperventilate. I had seen a pack for the lens + camera at B&H, which was a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600AW, that I thought would work fine. However, now at B&H it has been discontinued. I'm going to look around to see who else might have one but was wondering if anyone has a different suggestion. Thanks.

John Camp

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:21 pm »

Hi all,

As soon as Allen from Allen's Camera calls me back I will place my order for the Canon 500mm f/4 IS with a new tripod and Wimberley II head. I'm already starting to hyperventilate. I had seen a pack for the lens + camera at B&H, which was a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600AW, that I thought would work fine. However, now at B&H it has been discontinued. I'm going to look around to see who else might have one but was wondering if anyone has a different suggestion. Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Think Tank; mentions that lens specifically.

[a href=\"http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_GlssTxi.php]http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_GlssTxi.php[/url]

Geoff Wittig

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »

Hi all,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178025\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try the Scopepack, from OutPack. I'm not sure where to buy it these days; I got it through a birding site. It's fairly well padded and has a good harness system, and it's also quite light. It fits the Canon 500 f:4 IS lens like a glove, with Eos-1Ds II mounted. The four side pockets in my case generally carry 2X and 1.4X teleconvertors and Whimberly's sidekick for mounting on my tripod's ballhead.

fennario

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:36:15 pm »

Hi all,

Check out Kinesis bags (http://www.kgear.com/).  They have great modular systems.

KeithR

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »

Check out Kinesis bags (http://www.kgear.com/).  They have great modular systems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178076\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also have to point out Kinesis equipment. I had a Tenba case for my 400 2.8, but a strap broke and I just never sent it back to Tenba to be repaired(still have it if your interested  ). At about that time I heard about Kinesis and looked into them. I like what I saw and ordered one of their long lens case and a harness. Liked the quality and later ordered a belt system as well.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Chris_in_Texas

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:27:02 pm »

I have to 2nd John, the Glass Taxi is a good bag, and you can also put a Chimp Cage on the front of it to hold the body or other items as well.

I use it for my 400 2.8 and it works great, both with the shoulder strap or the built in backback straps.

Thanks,
Chris

edorm

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:58 pm »

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've ordered a Glass Taxi but I'm not sure I know what a Chimp Cage is. Could you explain? Ed

I have to 2nd John, the Glass Taxi is a good bag, and you can also put a Chimp Cage on the front of it to hold the body or other items as well.

I use it for my 400 2.8 and it works great, both with the shoulder strap or the built in backback straps.

Thanks,
Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

edorm

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:39:12 pm »

I found out what a Chimp Cage is and actually have something very similar that should work. Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've ordered a Glass Taxi but I'm not sure I know what a Chimp Cage is. Could you explain? Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

matt4626

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:34:49 pm »

I recomend the Kinesis long lens case/pack. I've used one with my 500 F4 for several years and would buy it again.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 03:33:40 pm »

Ditto Kinesis.  I have one for my 400 f/2.8 and another that I used for the 300 f/2.8 and now for the 200 f/1.8.  Excellent gear.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 02:35:30 pm »

Hi,

Did you order the lens from Allen's?  How did you find dealing with them?  As I said before, I've been more than pleased with them over the last few years.

How far do you intend carrying the lens and tripod?  Will you have any other gear to carry?

I've tried a few different things but since that's never the ONLY camera gear I have along, a dedicated backpack for the 500mm really doesn't work for me.  I use a backpack for another body and a bunch of other lenses.  I hate to leave gear in the car and would hate it if I'd hiked into the woods with only my 500mm lens and then find I need a 180mm macro, or 300 2.8 or wide-angle, etc. etc.  So I tend to carry a LOT of gear along.  And it's TOUGH!!!  (I'm not as young as I used to be.)

One of the things I've been trying (only works in summer and only on smooth paths) is one of those wired fold-open shopping carts with two wheels that (even) older people sometimes use to carry groceries.  I made a wooden floor and sides out of masonite and can carry a lot of gear relatively easily.  I quite often use this when shooting models when I want to carry a light head or two and portable battery pack as well as camera gear.  Quite easy to pull along.

On rougher terrain when I'm shooting nature, I tend to keep the 500 with camera attached on the Wimberly on the tripod.  I alternate carrying that over a shoulder with holding the tripod at the balance point at my side.  It gets tiring really quickly but I can also carry more gear on my back and I can get the 500 up and ready in shooting position really quickly.   And whenever I stop (often) I can easily spread the tripod legs, set it up, and relax.

Anyway, I'm following this thread with interest to see what others are using to carry that lens.

Eldor

Hi all,

Dr. Gary

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 06:34:50 pm »

Hi all,

Moose Peterson has a great backpack that will hold a 500 f/4 and a whole bunch of other lenses besides. I have schlepped back and forth to Eastern Europe as carry on luggage the past three years and have nothing to say negative about it. Some people complain the straps are not padded enough for 50 lbs. but I have not had any complaints at all.

drgary

Jerry Clement

• http://www.jerryclement.ca
Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 07:50:17 pm »

Hi all,

It looks like everyone else that responded got it right. I have the Canon 500mm f4 and use the Glass Taxi by Think Tank to carry the lens. The bag is superb and the shoulder harness can be stored if you are only using it as a carry bag. I like their products and own a number of them. Be aware though that the 500mm f4 fills the glass taxi totaly and you would need the chimp cage if you wanted to carry a body attached to the glass taxi. I only transport the lens this way and when I get to where I will be hiking, I carry the lens and camera set up on my tripod with gimbal head. I also use leg protectors on the tripod that makes a world of difference on my shoulder. I use my  Lowe Pro slingshot 200 for misc. eq. that I will need for my time in the field.
Jerry
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:17:23 pm by Jerry Clement »

Patrick Cox

Pack for Canon 500mm f/4
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 07:22:32 am »

Hi all,

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You don't say how you intend to use this bag but I think that will impact your decision.  In addition to the TT Glass Taxi, I would look at these and then consider a shoulder harness for either one...

[a href=\"http://www.kgear.com/e/E970.html]http://www.kgear.com/e/E970.html[/url]

http://www.kgear.com/l/
Pages: [1]   Go Up