Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White balance greyed out for b&w images  (Read 3485 times)

lightmajestic

White balance greyed out for b&w images
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

Hi,
When I first started Lightroom to edit my images I noticed that clicking on the white balance - auto setting for my grayscale images produced a really nice, almost sepia tone. Now however I can't do this as the white balance appears to be inactive for grayscale images.
Apologies in advance for any incorrect terminology but hopefully you'll get the picture..

thanks
Rick

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:17 am »

This isn't really an answer, but take a look at this article on B&W conversion in LR
http://lightroom-news.com/2007/08/24/tips-...te-conversions/

Richowens

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:10:05 pm »

Rick,

This is normal behavior.

Your first images were in RGB mode even though they were monochrome. They have three channels of color, something to balance to make a white of some color.

Your current images are in grayscale mode, only one channel-gray. Nothing to balance, so the tool is inop with images in grayscale mode.

Change the image mode to RGB Before you import into LR and you will be able to give them that warm look like before.

HTH

Rich

lightmajestic

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:16:21 pm »

Rick,

This is normal behavior.

Your first images were in RGB mode even though they were monochrome. They have three channels of color, something to balance to make a white of some color.

Your current images are in grayscale mode, only one channel-gray. Nothing to balance, so the tool is inop with images in grayscale mode.

Change the image mode to RGB Before you import into LR and you will be able to give them that warm look like before.

HTH

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Rich that's the answer, my other b&w images were still in RGB mode.

cheers
Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up