Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 4140 times)

t80tank

New to the forum
« on: February 24, 2008, 07:03:15 pm »

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd post some pictures in here to be critiqued and get some hints/tips.  

PSA DC-9-30

New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 11:57:20 pm »

Interesting, dramatic subjects--you're on the right track. The second one is my favorite overall. Technically however, there is room for a good deal of improvment, especially in reducing noise, and improving overall sharpness. I would also crop the wires out of the first one. The first, fourth, and fifth ones would likely benefit from increased contrast.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 02:08:36 am by PSA DC-9-30 »

Peter Frahm

New to the forum
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:45:50 am »

Tank,

Your have pics with some good potential. Get a bigger camera...your Nikon 4300 is ok but at 4 megapixels you are missing some fun in larger files with less noise and raw possibilities. You should keep doing this, looks like you have an interest in danger under nice light, you're lucky to be able to witness this stuff.

I messed with two of them just to show what some simple stuff can do. These are all fairly easy things done in Photoshop. Playing with adding some color to the tornado shot, contrast for both, some cropping and burning and dodging. These files are small and noisy and start to degrade pretty quickly but you might get the idea that there is much more there than the files straight out of the camera will give you.

I'm not a fan of sunsets for the sake of sunsets, but I sure do like tornadoes and thunderstorms. I hope you don't mind, I cropped out the sun in your storm shot...we've seen that sun but we haven't seen that cloud before, ever. Personally speaking, it's the light I'm interested in, not the light source...

be careful man, those things will pick you up and leave you in places with no bus stops or liquor stores, bad combination.

t80tank

New to the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »

Tank,

Your have pics with some good potential. Get a bigger camera...your Nikon 4300 is ok but at 4 megapixels you are missing some fun in larger files with less noise and raw possibilities. You should keep doing this, looks like you have an interest in danger under nice light, you're lucky to be able to witness this stuff.

I messed with two of them just to show what some simple stuff can do. These are all fairly easy things done in Photoshop. Playing with adding some color to the tornado shot, contrast for both, some cropping and burning and dodging. These files are small and noisy and start to degrade pretty quickly but you might get the idea that there is much more there than the files straight out of the camera will give you.

I'm not a fan of sunsets for the sake of sunsets, but I sure do like tornadoes and thunderstorms. I hope you don't mind, I cropped out the sun in your storm shot...we've seen that sun but we haven't seen that cloud before, ever. Personally speaking, it's the light I'm interested in, not the light source...

be careful man, those things will pick you up and leave you in places with no bus stops or liquor stores, bad combination.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter, thanks for the critique. Where did you see I have a Nikon 4300? I have a Canon EOS-10D 6.3MP. I've thought of getting a new camera, but might hold off for a while. I plan on starting to shoot in RAW format from now on when I'm storm chasing or doing lightning photography. There, I want to learn more about photo editting.

Peter Frahm

New to the forum
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 12:26:11 am »

Peter, thanks for the critique. Where did you see I have a Nikon 4300? I have a Canon EOS-10D 6.3MP. I've thought of getting a new camera, but might hold off for a while. I plan on starting to shoot in RAW format from now on when I'm storm chasing or doing lightning photography. There, I want to learn more about photo editting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I downloaded a few of the pics and the exif info on your "cherokee tornado" shot showed a nikon 4300...it's the only exif I looked at. I just double checked and that's the only one that's tagged with that camera.

t80tank

New to the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 08:37:05 am »

I downloaded a few of the pics and the exif info on your "cherokee tornado" shot showed a nikon 4300...it's the only exif I looked at. I just double checked and that's the only one that's tagged with that camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=177627\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okay. It might be becauset that was scanned image. I forgot to mention that that picture was taken when I was still using a film camera. I started using my EOS 10-D in 2004.
Pages: [1]   Go Up