Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod height  (Read 5855 times)

amoergosum

Tripod height
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:49:35 am »

How important is it to you to have the camera at eye level on a tripod?
Would you choose lighter weight&portability over proper height (for your body)?

DarkPenguin

Tripod height
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57:52 am »

Isn't proper height the height you need for framing your shot?

EBBS

• http://www.mattebbers.com
Tripod height
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:13:51 pm »

Proper height for my body is important to me.  I want to be comfortable while shooting.  Being bent over all the time can get old.  I figure if I get a tripod tall enough for me with camera attached to stand comfortably I can always go lower to frame certain shots.  Its easer to make a tall tripod shorter than it is to make a short tripod taller.
Every day is a good day, just some are b

DarkPenguin

Tripod height
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:32 pm »

That's why I got a camera with live view.

DonWeston

Tripod height
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:23:12 pm »

That's why I got a camera with live view.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Very important to me, especially the older one gets and our parts wear out...  . Am thinking about changing what I have to a taller model as I write this. At present I have an old Gitso 1228. Also I have found I like 3 section models more then the 4 sections which I have now....fwiw....

I know you did not ask the latter, but.....

Misirlou

• http://
Tripod height
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:48 pm »

Another big factor is camera size/viewfinder position. If you're shooting a medium format camera with the standard waist level finder, you tripod can be a foot and a half shorter than if you're shooting a 35mm SLR. If you're using a view camera, you'll probably need to be able to see the entire rear of the camera, from every angle, including from above the top corners.

Personally, I can't stand a tripod that's even a little too short. If I can't stand behind it comfortably, then I'm not likely to use it. Which means I'll end up handholding anyway. So for me, a tripod that was 6 inches too short would be comepletely useless.

Paul Sumi

Tripod height
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 03:00:09 pm »

Its easer to make a tall tripod shorter than it is to make a short tripod taller.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Another factor is that one doesn't always work on level ground (at least I don't).  A taller tripod comes in very handy on slopes, bodies of water, etc.  Overhead shots are also easier with a taller tripod.

Oh - and a taller tripod also means that I don't have to use a center column.

Paul
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:44:37 pm by PaulS »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Tripod height
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:08:54 pm »

Oh - and a taller tripod also means that I don't have to use a center column.

Yes, and remember that if you do raise the center column you've effectively turned your tripod into a monopod...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

tjwilson

• http://www.thomasjwilson.ca/
Tripod height
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 07:57:27 am »

I went for proper height over weight (and cost) when I got my Manfrotto 55X.  They call it "classic" because it is your basic, no nonsense, rock solid, heavy as a switch engine, pass it down to your grand-children kind of tripod.  If I had the money I would have likely gotten a carbon fiber version in the same height, but the difference in cost over the difference in weight was astronomical.

The centre column on this model is substantial but I rarely need it, and when I do it's to a minimal extent.  As someone else stated its easy to make a tall tripod shorter if your willing to hump around the extra weight... but a shoulder strap really helps.
Thomas J. Wilson
Black & White Landscape Photography
http://www.thomasjwilson.ca/

Arizona

Tripod height
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 10:24:43 am »

Isn't proper height the height you need for framing your shot?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bingo

Proper height for the shot does not mean eye level. I got a tripod that has Ground-Level Set. I got a tripod I can constantly travel with so it does not quite reach eye level but that means far less to me than bulk and weight do because I don't use eye-level exclusively. The actual functionality of the tool does mean a lot though, fast set up and take down. I use it from ground level, to many of the mid levels up to the full height at times.

Edited to say, I took the center column off and never use it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:25:32 am by Arizona »
Glen

John S C

Tripod height
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:42:52 am »

Proper height for my body is important to me.  I want to be comfortable while shooting.  Being bent over all the time can get old.  I figure if I get a tripod tall enough for me with camera attached to stand comfortably I can always go lower to frame certain shots.  Its easer to make a tall tripod shorter than it is to make a short tripod taller.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would agree with that. Also you need to judge what the weight difference is between the shorter and the taller one. It may not be a lot.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
Tripod height
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 07:34:18 am »

It was only when I started to use a Gimbal head with my tripod that I realised it was not tall enough. Now having to stoop to use it comfortably - well, it is not comfortable. So I will buy a taller tripod. I had never been concerned before, but then much of my tripod work has been macro so hardly needed the height I guess.
Pete Truman

TaoMaas

Tripod height
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 08:13:17 am »

How important is it to you to have the camera at eye level on a tripod?
Would you choose lighter weight&portability over proper height (for your body)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=176661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you need to consider the situations in which you anticipate using your tripod, then base your decision on that.  Are you wanting a tripod that you can take hiking or will you be working fairly close to your car?  My main tripod can handle pretty much anything I care to ask it to do.  The trade-off is that it's heavy.  These days, I've been finding myself hiking back into areas more, so now I'm looking for something that can be carried easier.  A lightweight tripod that I have in hand is more useful than an heavy, expensive tripod that's back in the trunk of my car. lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up