Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using tripods without center column?  (Read 3903 times)

Statistician

Using tripods without center column?
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:43 pm »

I have what seems like a very basic question. Can the Bogen 055XB tripod be used without the center column?, What I mean is, can a head be attached to the legs with the center column removed?

Same question about the Slik 700DX.

What is the norm, if any, for such tripods ($150-300 price range)?

Thanks.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:59 pm »

I have what seems like a very basic question. Can the Bogen 055XB tripod be used without the center column?, What I mean is, can a head be attached to the legs with the center column removed?

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you mean, can you take out the column and attach the head, then the answer is no. There may be some sort of flat plate that you can purchase that replaces the column -- someone else will have to chime in.

My first Bogen from twenty years ago had a nifty feature in which the center column could be split in half. Its replacement didn't have this feature -- so I took a hacksaw and cut off the bottom 3/4 of the center column. Seriously. Worked with it that way for several years. (Then I went out and bought a Gitzo Systematic tripod, which doesn't have a center column.) Make sure you file down the edges if you go the hacksaw route.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:30 am »

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=174931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

on my bogen 3221 (which looks similar to the 055xb) there is a removable triangular piece on the bottom of the center column which can replace the center column and the head screws on it.

I often use my tripod in this configuration as it is lighter and allows very low camera height without inverting the camera on the bottom of the center column.

I looked at a photo of the 055xb and it looks like it should perform the same way. The photo on the B&H site showed the adapter mounted on the bottom of the center column, just like on my tripod.

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Hank

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:06 am »

If your ambition is removing the column so you can shoot low to the ground, we have found a better alternative.  Get a Bogen Super Clamp with a 3/8" stud (about $35) and screw your head onto that.  Then you can clamp it wherever you want on one leg of the tripod- top to bottom.  It's immensely useful for macro shooting, but also for shooting in tough locations without room for a tripod.  I clamp it to pipes, railings, whatever on industrial shoots when I'm up on towers.  It's also terrific for clamping to the top of a stepladder when a little extra elevation is needed on landscape shoots.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:32:05 am by Hank »

TurnerJon

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:10:44 pm »

Bogen has a short replacement column available. .

http://www.adorama.com/BG055LLA.html

Statistician

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:52 pm »

on my bogen 3221 (which looks similar to the 055xb) there is a removable triangular piece on the bottom of the center column which can replace the center column and the head screws on it.

I often use my tripod in this configuration as it is lighter and allows very low camera height without inverting the camera on the bottom of the center column.

I looked at a photo of the 055xb and it looks like it should perform the same way. The photo on the B&H site showed the adapter mounted on the bottom of the center column, just like on my tripod.

-bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I received my 055xb yesterday. Indeed, there is a triangular piece that can replace the center column just as you described.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up