Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak ID Lustre APS profile  (Read 3162 times)

EvoM

Kodak ID Lustre APS profile
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »

Hi, I have an ongoing battle trying to get a decent profile on my Z3100 44 for Kodak Rapid Dry Lustre 260GSM after trying to trick it using various starting paper prints e.g. Photo Gloss etc.

Just wondered if anyone using that paper and has APS installed could send me their profile so I can see if it's any better. (Mac if that makes any difference).

All my attempts result in darker prints than every other paper we use! I can't understand why the Kodak paper is pring darker (about 1/2 stop in camera terms). Colour is okay, just darker.!!

PM me if you can help. I'm getting desperate!!....

thanks

Evo.

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:30:26 am »

What paper type are you using when you profile the Kodak paper?  Based on HP's Tech Newsletters I think they recommend "Photo Semi-gloss/Satin paper (less ink"

When you softproof in Photoshop what does it look like?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:35:39 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

EvoM

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:20:47 pm »

Hi Ron,

Yes, tried that particular starting point too as recommended in the HP list.... still prints dark.

In CS2's soft proof, the Kodak profile looks same density but a bit more saturation & slightly more red so not a dramatic difference as we see in the final print which is darker. At the moment we add a curve adjustment making it lighter so it prints about right but I'd much rather sort out what is happening by getting the profile right and also we have to remember to do it!

As mentioned all other papers, canvas etc come out pretty close to what we see in CS2 but the Kodak prints darker. Do you think it just hasn't got the same gamit or something?

Do you have an APS profile that I could try...would it work anyway? I'm hoping the extra patched might somehow give a more accurate profile.

thanks, Evo

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:18:41 am »

Hi Evo,

I don't have an APS profile for the Kodak Rapid Dry Lustre 260GSM paper.  I don't have any of the paper and its unlikely I'd buy any.  I think I'd prefer the HP Pro Satin or ID Satin as I know it has a coating optimized for the HP inkset.

Anyway, I guess you probably have a substantial supply of this paper and its probably also a long time favorite.  

I wish I could help though.  Since you say that the darkness is consistent if you were printing with Qimage you could set up a "filter" that you could apply to all images when printing on the Kodak Lustre.  That might be easier than applying curves all the time in Photoshop.  Just a thought.
Regards,
Ron

EvoM

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »

thanks Ron, I have only one roll as a trial. It's more expensive here in Oz that HP ID satin.

Only things I like about it is it's "tougher to mark" surface and a "Kodak" back watermark...don't like HP's, it's a dead give away it's an inkjet print!

I mainly want something for some wedding albums that have flush mount pages so I need something less scratch resistant (than HP ID satin) although it would also be handy for loose customer prints.

I'll keep looking & testing I think.

Thanks again for your help.

Evo

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:57:12 pm »

Good points, Evo.  I can see why it appeals to you.

I'll keep an eye open and let you know if something pops up on this paper.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up