Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Filters Please  (Read 3653 times)

howard smith

Help with Filters Please
« on: July 13, 2005, 08:32:35 am »

A filter is similar to another lens element.  It is just flat (or should be).  "Cheap" (as opposed to inexpensive) filters may not be flat.  A neutral density filter has two surfaces, obviously.  Flat surfaces reflect light and can cause flare.  To reduce this, filters are coated.  "Cheap" filters do not have as good coatings.  Good glass and coatings cost money.  But they may not be readily apparent to the buyer, especially if the filter is bought on-line based on price.  (A 'cheap" filter may look like the good one.)  Do your homework the same as when you buy a lens.  Name brands are usually a reliable indicator, but like lenses, may vary.

Help with Filters Please
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 05:39:34 am »

I don't like filters and own only one: B+W MRC CPL. I hear only good things about these filters and my experience with their CPL approves this. Therefore I suggest that you get a B+W filter as well. If available, get the MRC version.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Help with Filters Please
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:02:07 am »

OK here's the deal. I own a Sony F828, and after purshcasing a polarizer filter with a 1 2/3 stop, I noticed I could get a shallower DoF in sun situations due to being able to shoot wiht a larger aperture. I also know that I can use the filter like a ND filter so as to use longer shutter speeds with my not small enough F 8.0 max aperture.

Anyway, I've decided I need some ND filters. With the research I've done, I've had mixed results with brands, but I think B + W is out of my wallet. I've heard good things about Heliopan, but that might be too expensive also. What brand do you recommend as good but not so expensive? The polarizer I got was a Kenco for 50.00, but I haven't heard much good about them. Should I replace it and stay away from Kenco?

My camera has a max A of F 8.0 and S of 30 seconds.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Help with Filters Please
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 09:35:44 pm »

Specifically, I need this information if anyone can help:

What brand do you recommend?

What ND filter spread stops do you recommend for my stop and shutter speed max as given above?

What is a good and reliable place to buy online?

howard smith

Help with Filters Please
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 03:04:30 pm »

I have had good results with B+W, but there are likely others as good or better.

I have a 1 stop and 2 stop ND.  They can be stacked to get 3 stops, usually plenty.  (I use a MF camera and film, so the lenses stop down plenty and I can choose slow film.)

I have had consistently good service from Abe's of Maine and B&H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up