Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blow out the background  (Read 2077 times)

Colorado David

Blow out the background
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:09 pm »

I have a question for Nikon users.  What is your favorite fast lens for isolating a subject and blowing out the background and foreground and why?  Do you prefer a prime or a zoom?

Thanks,
David

GregW

• http://
Blow out the background
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »

It depends on the body used but I'd generalise the following in my case.  85mm f/1.4 and 24-70mm f/2.8.  The 85mm has a beautifully smooth bokeh, is small, fast, tack sharp and lightweight compared to the more convenient faster focusing zoom.  As for preference it really depends on application and body.

Of real irony to me is that just as we get a body which can make full use of Nikon's excellent primes, we get two of the best zooms ever made which challenge to the need to use primes at all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:05:07 pm by GregW »

Colorado David

Blow out the background
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:51:17 am »

Thank you Greg.  The 85mm is one that I am considering.  I have pretty well decided to buy the two new zooms this year.

Colorado David

Blow out the background
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:04 am »

While I appreciate Greg's post, I was hoping to get a little more acitivity, a greater depth of experience from users.  Perhaps if I had worded my question to allow for some bickering or brand loyalty to creep into the discussion I would have gotten more response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up