Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon ---> Canon converters from 16-9  (Read 4899 times)

Mark F

Nikon ---> Canon converters from 16-9
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:43 pm »

In a recent topic discussing the Canon 17-40mm, the discussion got around to the new Nikon 12-24mm and someone pointed to the web site www.16-9.net for a review. Seems like a well thought out review, but equally interesting to me is that they sell a Nikon to Canon converter for the lens. You lose auto exposure and auto focus, but since it would be for landscape, I think I'm willing to live with that.  The illustrations in the review really make the 16-35mmII look noticeably inferior compared to the Nikon.

Does anyone have any experience with this converter or UK company? The converter goes for close to US$300, too much to just experiment with and I wouldn't buy the Nikon lens unless the converter really works.

Thanks.
Mark

akclimber

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:40:15 am »

Mark Welsh, owner of the 16-9 site and designer/distributor of the adapters, is a forum regular over on Miranda's site and DPR.  He's been on a quest for the best WA's for his Canon gear and took it upon himself to design the first Nikon G to EOS adapter with aperture control just so he could use the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8.  The adapters come in two flavors: without an aperture lever (you rotate the lens in the adapter to change the aperture), which is shipping first for about $130, if I recall correctly, and a more expensive version with an aperture lever which will soon be available.  I have a lever-less adapter on the way so I can try a Nikon 14-24 on my 5D (I'm currently enjoying a Sigma 12-24 but would like better IQ).  A number of other Miranda site regulars have had an opportunity to try the lever-less adapter and had favorable reviews.  I'd be happy to post my thoughts on both the adapter and 14-24 when they land here in Juneau (soon, I hope).

FWIW, altho Mark is selling the adapters, his glowing review of the 14-24 has been backed up by others.  I don't get a sense of his findings being at all self serving (as others have suggested).  In fact, in a recent post on Miranda's site, Mark notes that at 14-17, ghosting can become an issue with the lens due to the front element extending when zoomed out, thus protruding out from the protection of the built in lens shade.  So, looks like all is not completely rosey with the lens and Mark has pointed this out.

Anyway, I look forward to trying out both the adapter and lens.

Cheers!

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:35:04 pm »

Mark Welsh, owner of the 16-9 site and designer/distributor of the adapters, is a forum regular over on Miranda's site and DPR.  He's been on a quest for the best WA's for his Canon gear and took it upon himself to design the first Nikon G to EOS adapter with aperture control just so he could use the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8.  The adapters come in two flavors: without an aperture lever (you rotate the lens in the adapter to change the aperture), which is shipping first for about $130, if I recall correctly, and a more expensive version with an aperture lever which will soon be available.  I have a lever-less adapter on the way so I can try a Nikon 14-24 on my 5D (I'm currently enjoying a Sigma 12-24 but would like better IQ).  A number of other Miranda site regulars have had an opportunity to try the lever-less adapter and had favorable reviews.  I'd be happy to post my thoughts on both the adapter and 14-24 when they land here in Juneau (soon, I hope).

FWIW, altho Mark is selling the adapters, his glowing review of the 14-24 has been backed up by others.  I don't get a sense of his findings being at all self serving (as others have suggested).  In fact, in a recent post on Miranda's site, Mark notes that at 14-17, ghosting can become an issue with the lens due to the front element extending when zoomed out, thus protruding out from the protection of the built in lens shade.  So, looks like all is not completely rosey with the lens and Mark has pointed this out.

Anyway, I look forward to trying out both the adapter and lens.

Cheers!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the information. I would really appreciate hearing from you after you have gotten your adapter and used it.  I'm especially interested whether there is any change in the infinity focusing ability. I picture the adapter being like a thin extension tube and if so, that would normally affect the focusing at infinity. But that isn't indicated in the ad, so maybe not....
Mark

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:54:11 pm »

I'm especially interested whether there is any change in the infinity focusing ability. I picture the adapter being like a thin extension tube and if so, that would normally affect the focusing at infinity. But that isn't indicated in the ad, so maybe not....

It's not an issue. Canon lenses have a shorter mount-to-sensor focus distance than Nikon, so Nikon lenses need the extra distance provided by the adapter to focus properly at infinity.

akclimber

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:45:42 am »

Thanks for the information. I would really appreciate hearing from you after you have gotten your adapter and used it.  I'm especially interested whether there is any change in the infinity focusing ability. I picture the adapter being like a thin extension tube and if so, that would normally affect the focusing at infinity. But that isn't indicated in the ad, so maybe not....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=173192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My pleasure.  Mark has gone to great lengths to ensure infinity focus works as expected.  The adapter also has an AF confirm chip that can be calibrated to whatever Nikon lens you'll be using most with the adapter.  The default calibration is for the 14-24.

I'll be sure to report back when the goodies arrive.  I'm headed out into the -20 wind chill today with the Sigma and other lenses.  Wish the Nikon was in my pack!

Cheers!

Mark F

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:36:16 pm »

Thanks again, I'll be looking for your post.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up