Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 and Epson R1800 print issues  (Read 3080 times)

julmacinnis

CS3 and Epson R1800 print issues
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:10:42 pm »

Hey all, first time poster here as I just learned of this great forum!!......

I just migrated to a wonderful MacPro and upgraded to CS3. Now when I try to print using my Epson R1800, I am getting crappy, very dark, rasterized photos. I downloaded and installed the most recent Epson print driver -- even chatted with Epson tech support and still no issues resolved! I am trying to familiarize myself with the new printer settings and have turn "color management off' as I did with CS2....

Anyone else figure this out yet? Epson told me there are some bugs with Leopard and CS3 and that the new update will fix that -- but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a workaround until then? or knows anything more than I do? Maybe I'm not selected the right printer settings as the panel is quite different from CS2!

Thanks!,
Julia
www.juliamacinnisphotography.com

Farmer

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:29:30 pm »

Hey all, first time poster here as I just learned of this great forum!!......

I just migrated to a wonderful MacPro and upgraded to CS3. Now when I try to print using my Epson R1800, I am getting crappy, very dark, rasterized photos. I downloaded and installed the most recent Epson print driver -- even chatted with Epson tech support and still no issues resolved! I am trying to familiarize myself with the new printer settings and have turn "color management off' as I did with CS2....

Anyone else figure this out yet? Epson told me there are some bugs with Leopard and CS3 and that the new update will fix that -- but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a workaround until then? or knows anything more than I do? Maybe I'm not selected the right printer settings as the panel is quite different from CS2!

Thanks!,
Julia
www.juliamacinnisphotography.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172608\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In Photoshop choose "Let Photoshop Manage Colours" then choose the printer/paper profile that you need and in the printer driver select "No Colour Management".  Make sure you have the CS3 10.0.1 update which addresses numerous printing issues.
Phil Brown

julmacinnis

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 11:06:11 pm »

In Photoshop choose "Let Photoshop Manage Colours" then choose the printer/paper profile that you need and in the printer driver select "No Colour Management".  Make sure you have the CS3 10.0.1 update which addresses numerous printing issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172613\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks -- didn't know about the update but just did that.  And when I printed, no difference in what I have been getting.  super dark images!  

Any other thoughts?  Epson said something about an update to Leopard that may help but not sure when that would happen.

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:24 pm »

Thanks -- didn't know about the update but just did that.  And when I printed, no difference in what I have been getting.  super dark images! 
Any other thoughts?  Epson said something about an update to Leopard that may help but not sure when that would happen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you using Epson drivers or the built in Mac drivers?  If you didn't install any specifically and it just recognised the printer, it's built in drivers and you don't want to use those.

On the US and UK Epson websites there are beta 10.5 drivers for many of the printers - so you might also want to try that.

Also, when you say dark, what are you comparing it to?  Is you monitor calibrated?  Under what lighting conditions are you viewing?  What paper are printing to?
Phil Brown

Dinarius

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:25:06 am »

I find that if I use matte paper, the image is always darker than what I am seeing on my profiled monitor. If I use any form of gloss paper, the image pretty much matches what I am seeing.

At the moment, I have the following chosen:

Document (Profile:Adobe RGB (1998)
Photoshop Manages Colors (with color management disabled in the Epson dialog)
Printer Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)
Absolute Colorimetric

Also, I'm never quite sure which Rendering Intent to choose.

Thanks.

D

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 03:57:37 am »

I find that if I use matte paper, the image is always darker than what I am seeing on my profiled monitor. If I use any form of gloss paper, the image pretty much matches what I am seeing.

At the moment, I have the following chosen:

Document (Profile:Adobe RGB (1998)
Photoshop Manages Colors (with color management disabled in the Epson dialog)
Printer Profile: Adobe RGB (1998)
Absolute Colorimetric

Also, I'm never quite sure which Rendering Intent to choose.

Thanks.

D
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172661\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK - some problems there.

The Printer Profile needs to be one that mentions your printer and the paper that you are using (you can do what you've done, but it means changing the printer driver settings to except Adobe RGB data and you really don't want to go down that path).  So look for your printer's name and then the acronym for the paper you're using (PGPP is Premium Glossy Photo Paper, for example).

Rendering intent you want either Relative Colorimetic (with Black Point compensation ticked) or Perceptual.  Soft proof both and see which one you prefer, and do some test prints.  It will likely vary from image to image as to which does the job for you.
Phil Brown

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:13:57 am »

Farmer,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

A few questions......

I am currently using a test/sample pack containing various Hahnemuhle papers. The one I have in the printed at the moment is a textured matte called 'German Etching'. Since this doesn't appear in the Printer Profile list, I have chosen SPR2400 Archival Matte. (I am using an Epson R2400). Make sense? I guess that when you have a matte paper (or any other finish for that matter) that doesn't appear in the list, you have to approximate. Correct?

Secondly, when it comes to making guide prints for designers and printers, presumably I should tick 'Proof' at the top of the dialog, allowing 'Proof Setup' to switch to Working CMYK. Right?

Finally, on the issue of guide prints, what's a good day to day paper to use that mimics the semi-coated papers that are used in offset printing?

Many thanks.

D.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:21:23 am by Dinarius »

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 04:54:19 am »

Farmer,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

A few questions......

I am currently using a test/sample pack containing various Hahnemuhle papers. The one I have in the printed at the moment is a textured matte called 'German Etching'. Since this doesn't appear in the Printer Profile list, I have chosen SPR2400 Archival Matte. (I am using an Epson R2400). Make sense? I guess that when you have a matte paper (or any other finish for that matter) that doesn't appear in the list, you have to approximate. Correct?

Secondly, when it comes to making guide prints for designers and printers, presumably I should tick 'Proof' at the top of the dialog, allowing 'Proof Setup' to switch to Working CMYK. Right?

Finally, on the issue of guide prints, what's a good day to day paper to use that mimics the semi-coated papers that are used in offset printing?

Many thanks.

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172671\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You should be able to get profiles from Hahnemuhle's website for their papers for a number of printers.  You can use a profile for another paper if it's similar, but it's less than ideal.  Driver settings will typically have some advice on the 3rd party papers as to which paper type to select (this is not the same as matching to the correct profile, though).  If you can't find a suitable profile, you should invest in a custom profile for any papers that you're using frequently.

Don't tick proof, don't switch to working CMYK :-)

Converting RGB to CMYK isn't a simple thing to do well and trying to get your printer to simulate press isn't a walk in the park, either.

There are plenty of "proofing" papers (typically having that term in their name) available for inkjet printing and it's what you will likely want to use for doing such proofs.  You need to read into color management a bit more and get a proper understanding so you can then look at printing proofs for press.

There are some genuine experts in the field on these forums who will likely be happy to help you, but it will help if you've read into it some more yourself.

Generally speaking, you're looking at needing a RIP to do what you want to do properly.
Phil Brown

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:35:27 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up