Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giottos Tripods & Ballheads  (Read 22730 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Giottos Tripods & Ballheads
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 03:25:22 pm »

I've had the Carbon Fiber Giottos for 2 years and have had no problems with it.  It requires some adjustment occasionally, but overall a nice, lightweight tripod, plenty sturdy.  It's very versatile too, and I have to say, well built.  I use a Kirk Ballhead (the bigger one) and a D2H / D2X and haven't had any problems.
Of the 10 tripods in our studio, ( Bogen, Majestic, Gitzo, Hercules and others), this one gets loaded for outdoors the most.   I'd say the Giottos is a good all around choice.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

JohnKoerner

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »

I've had the Carbon Fiber Giottos for 2 years and have had no problems with it.  It requires some adjustment occasionally, but overall a nice, lightweight tripod, plenty sturdy.  It's very versatile too, and I have to say, well built.  I use a Kirk Ballhead (the bigger one) and a D2H / D2X and haven't had any problems.
Of the 10 tripods in our studio, ( Bogen, Majestic, Gitzo, Hercules and others), this one gets loaded for outdoors the most.   I'd say the Giottos is a good all around choice.

Mark

Thanks Mark, that is exactly the kind of use to which I intend to put my tripod, versatile outdoor photography.

Jack

KimAre

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 07:48:22 pm »

In fact I was earlier taken with a Manfrotto model that I saw at the (only) pro camera shop in San Antonio.  I do not remember the model number, but it has a center column that pulls up and then snaps to various angles to the vertical without fooling with any locking knobs at all.  I too do macro work (bugs), so that center column was inviting.  Unfortunately Manfrotto has not yet rolled out that feature in a carbon fiber model; but supposedly it is coming.

Actually Manfrotto has two models like that in Carbon. 055MF3 and 055MF4

A brand that should be taken into consideration is Benro Flexpods, they're identical to Induros carbonflex, just cheaper.

Another alternative could also be Benbo with B.

And at last, if you want Gitzo look for GT2530EX or GT2540EX

matt4626

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »

I've never heard of anyone who was sorry they purchased a Gitzo. That's not true of other brands.

JohnKoerner

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »

Actually Manfrotto has two models like that in Carbon. 055MF3 and 055MF4

A brand that should be taken into consideration is Benro Flexpods, they're identical to Induros carbonflex, just cheaper.

Another alternative could also be Benbo with B.

And at last, if you want Gitzo look for GT2530EX or GT2540EX
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178117\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting, most of those "contortionist" pods look like they are a copy of the Giottos' design.

I decided to go with the Giottos MT-8361 MT III and the Giottos MH-3300 Pro Series II extra large ballhead with MH-658 quick release plate. They simply seem to offer the most for the money. I am expecting them to come in around the middle of next week, so we will see.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »

Well, I received my Giottos MT-8361 MT III tripod and the Giottos MH-3300 Pro Series II extra large ballhead with MH-658 quick release plate.

After using it in a variety of situations, I can say this is truly a wonderful tripod, especially for the money. While I was tempted to buy some of the more popular brands (Gitzo/Benro), again I couldn't stop reminding myself that their comparable products are trying to copy the Giottos' multi-functional capabilities, which told me that the Giottos musta hit a homerun with their original and innovative multi-functional design.

Now that I have actually received this product, I can say this tripod is solid as a rock and leaves nothing to be desired. It also comes with a wonderful padded carrying case and toolkit, as well as an additional padded carrying strap (that most of the other manufacturers don't even add-in with theirs). After receiving this tripod, the question I keep asking myself is why would anyone spend more money to buy less tripod, with less extras? I decided to spend less money on more tripod, that had more extras, and I am absolutely happy that I did.

This Giottos tripod is a beautiful, sturdy, unbelievably versatile piece of equipment ... that comes with more accessories and functionality than tripods that cost twice as much ... and so I just wanted to let those who have PMd me know that this is a product that did not disappoint.

And finally, the Giottos MH-3300 Pro Series II extra large ballhead is likewise better than I had expected.

Thanks for reading,

Jack
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:17:19 pm by JohnKoerner »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up