Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one  (Read 15974 times)

samuel_js

phase one
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 04:21:01 am »

Check out

No matter what, the only thing you you can Apple blame for is that they update thei OS, how can they dare ?
Wow what triggered this ? I think I have find a therapist
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You'll get the next update for Leopard In the next days. It will be about 500 Mb download just to fix bugs. Yes, how can they dare...  

The question is, why should PhaseOne or others rush to update their software to support an OS full of bugs?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:23:18 am by samuel_js »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
phase one
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 07:35:09 am »

Apple does include RAW support for cameras they think there is a demand for or what they think are key cameras like Canons and Nikons top range. 1000 sold worldwide per year is no demand in this terms. And with Apples current strategy digital backs do not seem rated as "key systems", which may change with a new product manager or change with shift of public interest.
As Apple like to be seen as the OS to be used by photographers/creative types they damn well should support those all image file types/products, even if they are not that huge they are still very important, if Apple want to be taken serious in Imaging. But maybe that's one reason Aperture isn't so popular.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

woof75

phase one
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 08:14:05 am »

As Apple like to be seen as the OS to be used by photographers/creative types they damn well should support those all image file types/products, even if they are not that huge they are still very important, if Apple want to be taken serious in Imaging. But maybe that's one reason Aperture isn't so popular.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To be honest I think apple is doing quite well when it comes to being taken seriously in imaging.
The thing that bothers me with this phase thing is I understand if they have limited resources to get the thing to work with Leopard but why couldn't they just update the site, if your offering a download that you know doesn't open in the most up to date OS why not just have a little note by it and keep an eye on your own tech forum to let people know how to sort out the problem?? It's not exactly customer focus.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
phase one
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:14 am »

To be honest I think apple is doing quite well when it comes to being taken seriously in imaging.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmm...Aperture even with it's big head start isn't doing that well, even amongst Apple users compared to LR. I believe part of the problem is having to update the OS for each new camera. And you have to add all cameras, not just the most popular.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
phase one
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 09:56:20 am »

Close enough mate its only a few kilometres difference

Simon
Cheers! Right so I am half Dutch, but I might as well be half Danish.
I think we should lump the Kiwis in with the Aussies. After all they are both on the wrong side of the planet
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

JDG

phase one
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:22 am »

re-done
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:48:01 am by JDG »

JDG

phase one
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 10:47:35 am »

Actually I just did a little search on Phase One's website in their "knowledge base" and I typed in Leopard and got this link:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

So they have had it up since 1/15/08.

Sometimes their searches can be a little tricky in the knowledge base, but other times I actually find an answer that is relevant or just post here and we'll try to help you.

L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Phase One Dealer of the Year
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer
lance@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I remember seeing those articles way back in november when I upgraded to Leopard, and to be fair when it comes to their forum there are like 80 threads asking the same questions about when software will be released, so I wouldnt expect them to answer every thread.

Hello,

I remember about 3 years ago when I was making the decision on Phase or Leaf one of the reasons I went with Leaf ,and there where a few other reasons as well was its ability to process in Photoshop CS2.

Phase of course had to be processed in Capture.

When I contacted Phase head office at the time , I was told that Photoshop was for designers not photographers and that they believed that the soft wear was superior.

Boy talk about Dutch arrogance.

So of course I went with Leaf and personally it has been the best decision I have ever made.

I remember when I heard that they finely made there Raw files compatible with Photoshop it was with a bit of smugness.

Cheers

Simon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Umm, Photoshop is made by Adobe, and therefore it was up to Adobe to make their product compatible with phase one files. You cant blame Phase One for another companies software.

lance_schad

phase one
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 12:03:36 pm »

I just was on the PhaseOne partner site and saw that 3.7.8 was up. I am downloading it now . As soon as it finishes (sloooow d/l) I will check it out, read the read-me and post the information along with links.
It is not up on the end-user site yet. So real soon.

Lance

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Phase One Dealer of the Year
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

billy

phase one
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 12:49:22 pm »

Quote from: lance_schad,Jan 30 2008, 12:03 PM
I just was on the PhaseOne partner site and saw that 3.7.8 was up. I am downloading it now . As soon as it finishes (sloooow d/l) I will check it out, read the read-me and post the information along with links.

great. the 'partner site' must not be open to the public, correct? I am assuming I will be able to download from the actual phase one website soon ( today! ). do you know if I will be able to process canon 1ds mk3 files on my Mac OSX 10.3.9 with this update? I was just about to go purchase 10.4(tiger) so i could use V4 but rather not spend the extra money on updating my operating system! Thanks in advance.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
phase one
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 01:16:53 pm »

Quote from: billy,Jan 31 2008, 06:49 AM

great. the 'partner site' must not be open to the public, correct? I am assuming I will be able to download from the actual phase one website soon ( today! ). do you know if I will be able to process canon 1ds mk3 files on my Mac OSX 10.3.9 with this update? I was just about to go purchase 10.4(tiger) so i could use V4 but rather not spend the extra money on updating my operating system! Thanks in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

about bloody time!

yay, no more useless canon software!

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

lance_schad

phase one
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 02:11:24 pm »

Quote from: billy,Jan 30 2008, 01:49 PM

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The tech-notes read that 10.3.9 or higher minimum sys req. It also states that you can Process 1Ds Mark III files.
It has a two page release note document.
We are going to run this through its paces this afternoon and hopefully have a link for you to the download.

lance schad
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
phase one
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 03:22:51 pm »

Cheers! Right so I am half Dutch, but I might as well be half Danish.
I think we should lump the Kiwis in with the Aussies. After all they are both on the wrong side of the planet
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170981\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gidday Andy,

More than happy to be lumped in with the Aussies.

That's why we are called Anzacs as we have fought and died in two World wars together, oddly enough saving Europe.

As for being on the wrong side of the planet, it sure is the hot side at the moment, 33 degrees Celsius yesterday.

Sorry if I offended you but my point was that at the time Phase were being rather arrogant about there soft wear.

All the best.

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
phase one
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 03:48:40 pm »

Check out
I really doubt that there is a conspirace from Apple at work here. From my experiences in hard- and software development it's usually a lack of resources (financial and/or manpower) or nobody feeling responsible.

No matter what, the only thing you you can Apple blame for is that they update thei OS, how can they dare ?
Wow what triggered this ? I think I have find a therapist

Hi, you've got some good points so no worries about therapists..... And from what I've read you're a guy that see's both sides of the story - software and photography.    

Maybe I'm mistaken again but it seems a lot of the imaging and RAW file handling depends on Core Image and I've gotten pissy even childish PM's (on another forum) from one of their team leaders basically saying, " nyah,nyah, nyah your RAW files will never, ever happen on Apple...HaHa so there take that".  So my view is that while a company like C1 could pay the fee and get the new OS code, they still are left hanging for other parts of the system which is developed in house.

As an aside, I've also met Joseph Shorr, the Aperture program manager, at an event who asked me to send him a personal e-mail with my feedback on Aperture. I sent him several pages of feedback and several other messages and not once even got a simple "Thank you" reply.  Aperture is the program that showed the most promise but now stuck in the mud.  So maybe your bug reporting was much more useful than mine?

Apple's current emphasis seems to be in the direction of the simple home user, an to provide the digital hub for the home. They do not seem to be interested in Pro work even though as was mentioned above they tease us the possibility of it now and then.  

Can you imagine what they could do if instead of working on ways to put TV shows on an ipod, they instead worked on high end digital photo imaging tools?

I've been a long time Mac user but always fail to see why so many people rush in to defend Apple like they were family.  My Mac.... It's a tool and I recognize the advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,
Eric
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:51:37 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

JDG

phase one
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 04:37:05 pm »

Hi, you've got some good points so no worries about therapists..... And from what I've read you're a guy that see's both sides of the story - software and photography.     

Maybe I'm mistaken again but it seems a lot of the imaging and RAW file handling depends on Core Image and I've gotten pissy even childish PM's (on another forum) from one of their team leaders basically saying, " nyah,nyah, nyah your RAW files will never, ever happen on Apple...HaHa so there take that".  So my view is that while a company like C1 could pay the fee and get the new OS code, they still are left hanging for other parts of the system which is developed in house.

As an aside, I've also met Joseph Shorr, the Aperture program manager, at an event who asked me to send him a personal e-mail with my feedback on Aperture. I sent him several pages of feedback and several other messages and not once even got a simple "Thank you" reply.  Aperture is the program that showed the most promise but now stuck in the mud.  So maybe your bug reporting was much more useful than mine?

Apple's current emphasis seems to be in the direction of the simple home user, an to provide the digital hub for the home. They do not seem to be interested in Pro work even though as was mentioned above they tease us the possibility of it now and then.   

Can you imagine what they could do if instead of working on ways to put TV shows on an ipod, they instead worked on high end digital photo imaging tools?

I've been a long time Mac user but always fail to see why so many people rush in to defend Apple like they were family.  My Mac.... It's a tool and I recognize the advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,
Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is a good point, Aperture showed alot of potential but never really panned out.  I always thought it was funny how the aperture promo video showed a photographer appearing to shoot tethered with a phase back, when you could do neither!

The running thought that Phase did not have developer seeds of leopard is simply ludicrous though.   No company professionally developing mac software would not have a running subscription to it.   Like it has been said throughout this thread even students can get it.  Having spoken to Phase One support a while back, what they told me was the leopard changed quite a bit in relation to file handling between the last pre-release and the final release in the fall.  they said that c1pro actually worked quite well up until the public release.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
phase one
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »

Absolutely right: there was times when a new OS was out here in Asia, and not in Europe, sometimes weeks before.

Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170776\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What a pile of BS. Apple systems betas for Leopard had been circulating for over 6 months before release on the Apple developer connection from which ANYONE can download them for free provided they agree to the usual click-through NDAs

On the other hand, it is true that for a small company, tracking the evolution of a new OS can be a really painful experience.

Anyway, I have heard it said that Phase  have some strong links with Microsoft. Maybe MS expects us all to move to Windows ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
phase one
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 07:20:32 pm »

hi Edmund,

Sorry for my BS! I am effectively not very aware how this works, but have been rientated by Brumbaer and hist informative post. It's in my brain now!

What I meant to say was about the final release, earlier available in some parts of the world: that's my experience.

Best regards,
Thierry

What a pile of BS. Apple systems betas for Leopard had been circulating for over 6 months before release on the Apple developer connection from which ANYONE can download them for free provided they agree to the usual click-through NDAs

On the other hand, it is true that for a small company, tracking the evolution of a new OS can be a really painful experience.

Anyway, I have heard it said that Phase  have some strong links with Microsoft. Maybe MS expects us all to move to Windows ?

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

woof75

phase one
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 08:33:08 am »

hi Edmund,

Sorry for my BS! I am effectively not very aware how this works, but have been rientated by Brumbaer and hist informative post. It's in my brain now!

What I meant to say was about the final release, earlier available in some parts of the world: that's my experience.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171128\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why doesn't it surprise me that someone from Sinar doesn't know how apple OS releases work.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
phase one
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 08:35:59 am »

oh, so sorry for not knowing this in details: I deeply apologize!

Why doesn't it surprise me that someone from Sinar doesn't know how apple OS releases work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
phase one
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 11:27:15 am »

Worth noting that FlexColor is compatible with Leopard, so maybe blaming Apple is a bit of a scapegoat.

Jo S.x
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed. No problems at all, day after day, with Leopard on a MacBook, FC 4.8.4 and H3DII-39. Flawless operation.

jimgolden

• http://
phase one
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 11:47:34 am »

uh...yeah...phase is tanking b/c you cant get it to work on leopard...WOW

no one can get anything to run on leopard! well not quite, but it seems like it!
I bought a MacBook after leeopard's release, "somehow" I was apple to get one w/ Tiger on it...

seems to me the golden rule w/ OS is dont be the first release scapegoat...I've followed that for over 12 years and almost never been stung...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up