Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one  (Read 15973 times)

woof75

phase one
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:45:44 pm »

There are all kind of issues with capture one and the new Leopard operating system, for one, you cant seem to install it, it just crashes, luckily I could copy the folder from my old computer but there's still lots of people complaining about frequent crashes and no word from Phase. What gives? I haven't heard a peep from them and that used to be their selling point, rock solid software. Is phase going under? Whats happening?

lance_schad

phase one
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:04:01 pm »

There are all kind of issues with capture one and the new Leopard operating system, for one, you cant seem to install it, it just crashes, luckily I could copy the folder from my old computer but there's still lots of people complaining about frequent crashes and no word from Phase. What gives? I haven't heard a peep from them and that used to be their selling point, rock solid software. Is phase going under? Whats happening?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is some documentation out there on how to install 3.7.7 on Leopard. Here is a link to one that we have posted on our website.
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com/category/the-tech-support-guru/]http://www.captureintegration.com/category...h-support-guru/[/url]
It is pretty straightforward and running pretty stable for our clients. There still is no support for tethered canons though, only Phase One digital backs.
3.7.8 is right around the corner from what I have heard.

Lance

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Phase One Dealer of the Year
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer
lance@captureintegration.com
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
phase one
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:12:34 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170724\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a brand new Macbook Pro 2.2ghz with 10.5.1 and just finished a shoot of over 750 actuations without a single hick up from C1 DB 3.7.7. All shot tethered from my H2/P45+ camera.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

woof75

phase one
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:17:05 pm »

There is some documentation out there on how to install 3.7.7 on Leopard. Here is a link to one that we have posted on our website.
http://www.captureintegration.com/category...h-support-guru/
It is pretty straightforward and running pretty stable for our clients. There still is no support for tethered canons though, only Phase One digital backs.
3.7.8 is right around the corner from what I have heard.

Lance

Lance Schad
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, easy as that, why doesn't phase one have this listed on their user forum site? It drives me mad, phase has been a great company and I really think their starting to slip.

samuel_js

phase one
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:57:41 pm »

Thanks, easy as that, why doesn't phase one have this listed on their user forum site? It drives me mad, phase has been a great company and I really think their starting to slip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This issue with Leopard has been posted on all forums on Earth, months ago... PhaseOne has none obligation to rush updates just to satisfy all people in the world that needs the last of the last. I think they are doing the right thing. They are a bit of Digidesign (ProTools), well known for being the last to update their software but always stable. They still don't have update for Leopard either. They just say "stay with what you have and you won't find any problems, and when we are 100% sure everything will work with the update, then you will get it".

Actually the problem in this case is Apple. Leopard has billions of bugs and is causing the biggest problems in their history, except the 9 to X transition.

I still don't understand you guys installing your "games" in your working machine. You're just screaming TROUBLE!

And still, Leopard and C1 works flawless if you setup it right.

/Samuel

lance_schad

phase one
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:34:16 pm »

This issue with Leopard has been posted on all forums on Earth, months ago... PhaseOne has none obligation to rush updates just to satisfy all people in the world that needs the last of the last. I think they are doing the right thing. They are a bit of Digidesign (ProTools), well known for being the last to update their software but always stable. They still don't have update for Leopard either. They just say "stay with what you have and you won't find any problems, and when we are 100% sure everything will work with the update, then you will get it".

Actually the problem in this case is Apple. Leopard has billions of bugs and is causing the biggest problems in their history, except the 9 to X transition.

I still don't understand you guys installing your "games" in your working machine. You're just screaming TROUBLE!

/Samuel
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually I just did a little search on Phase One's website in their "knowledge base" and I typed in Leopard and got this link:
[a href=\"http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1382&LanguageID=1&layoutid=SupportSite%20-%20Main]http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main[/url]

So they have had it up since 1/15/08.

Sometimes their searches can be a little tricky in the knowledge base, but other times I actually find an answer that is relevant or just post here and we'll try to help you.

L

Lance Schad
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

woof75

phase one
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:04:06 pm »

Actually I just did a little search on Phase One's website in their "knowledge base" and I typed in Leopard and got this link:
http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Suppo...Site%20-%20Main

So they have had it up since 1/15/08.

Sometimes their searches can be a little tricky in the knowledge base, but other times I actually find an answer that is relevant or just post here and we'll try to help you.

L

Lance Schad
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Theres a long thread on there with a bunch of people that were trying to find the answer to the problem as recently as yesterday and they were all asking for a response and none came. They should make this info more easy to come by. On the download page theres no little note saying important must read note before downloading, it wouldnt be hard.

mattlap2

phase one
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »

/Samuel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are correct that the problem is Apple, and on more than one front.   I know as recently as 2 years ago that none of the digital back manufacturers were big enough to be eligible to get developers versions of new operating systems.

They had to wait til they were released in order to get their hands on copies and then they could begin developing upgrades to their own software.    

Everyone was behind the curve when Tiger came out as well because of Apples reluctance to share.

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
phase one
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »

I bought MackBook pro with Leopard pre installed and try to connect my Aptus 75S to it. Spent a day fighting to to connect tethered, caledl Leaf several times. Fresh reinstall the whole computer, spend two hours with Rick Adshead, went to Calumet for help, tried to downgrade to Tiger....
Send the Mac back to Amazon. Leopard can not be downgraded to Tiger and would not connect with my back even with busters and all the help.

Greatings from Buenos Aires everybody
Andre

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
phase one
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »

Absolutely right: there was times when a new OS was out here in Asia, and not in Europe, sometimes weeks before.

Thierry

You are correct that the problem is Apple, and on more than one front.   I know as recently as 2 years ago that none of the digital back manufacturers were big enough to be eligible to get developers versions of new operating systems.

They had to wait til they were released in order to get their hands on copies and then they could begin developing upgrades to their own software.   

Everyone was behind the curve when Tiger came out as well because of Apples reluctance to share.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

josayeruk

phase one
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:44:45 pm »

Worth noting that FlexColor is compatible with Leopard, so maybe blaming Apple is a bit of a scapegoat.

Jo S.x

TMARK

phase one
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:27:47 pm »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:51:21 am by TMARK »

BJNY

phase one
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59:50 pm »

This is really strange as a friend of mine, who is a student, signed up for Apple's developer's program and received every beta version of Leopard during its long time of announcement. And this friend is just joining the program because he likes to be in the loop of information. He is not a big software developer. Just writes little apps for fun, now and then.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly.
Students can join for $100
Non-students at $500 (I joined for a year to get discounts on hardware, getting the beta software was a bonus).
Guillermo

BJNY

phase one
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:02:21 am »

Give yousrself a break.
You can't possibly believe that Phase is going under because you can't find something on their site.  By that token, Nikon, Canon, Mamiya, Sinar, Leaf, State Farm, and Chase Manhattan NA are all about to file for Chapter 11.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Especially given Phase One's recent alliance with Micro$oft.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:08:45 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
phase one
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 01:30:17 am »

There's a smack of truth to the talk about Apple not being helpful and in some cases gets political.  Who gets seeded and who gets support is at the whim of some rather green managers.  I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the fault is Phase - I mean they must be on the bad side of Apple since they didn't get support for their RAW files in Core image or Aperture either (while Leaf and others did).  I hope I'm wrong but Apple probably will never support Phase backs and it probably has to do with one or two stubborn middle managers.
Rolleiflex USA

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
phase one
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 01:51:24 am »

Hello,

I remember about 3 years ago when I was making the decision on Phase or Leaf one of the reasons I went with Leaf ,and there where a few other reasons as well was its ability to process in Photoshop CS2.

Phase of course had to be processed in Capture.

When I contacted Phase head office at the time , I was told that Photoshop was for designers not photographers and that they believed that the soft wear was superior.

Boy talk about Dutch arrogance.

So of course I went with Leaf and personally it has been the best decision I have ever made.

I remember when I heard that they finely made there Raw files compatible with Photoshop it was with a bit of smugness.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

brumbaer

phase one
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 02:39:51 am »

There's a smack of truth to the talk about Apple not being helpful and in some cases gets political.  Who gets seeded and who gets support is at the whim of some rather green managers.  I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the fault is Phase - I mean they must be on the bad side of Apple since they didn't get support for their RAW files in Core image or Aperture either (while Leaf and others did).  I hope I'm wrong but Apple probably will never support Phase backs and it probably has to do with one or two stubborn middle managers.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Check out
[a href=\"http://developer.apple.com/products/]http://developer.apple.com/products/[/url]

You pay, you get the seeds. No green managers involved. You get one support incident with the smaller developer package, 8 with the bigger one. For application development you shouldn't need one anyway.

I had Leopard installed on my main system about 2 month before release. That means it was stable and complete enough to be used 2 month in advance and available to anybody willing to pay at least 500$ a year.

On every single bug I mailed, I've got a response.

I'm sure that Apple sees neither Phase, Leaf, Sinar nor Hassie as competition, their market is just so pittingly small from Apples point of view. If Apple would see them as a real thread, Apple would just buy them. All of them at once.

When a company is not "OS X.YYYY" ready it's more likely the companies fault than Apples.

Most likely there are no resources to work on it, just enough to do with existing problems.
Or it's deemed not worth to invest in the current software, because the next release is already around the corner.
Or the developers just can't get it running.
Probably the guy who wrote an essential part of the software is no longer with the company.
Or the product manager just forgot about it or decided to wait for the final release (offically because he wants to be sure that the OS will not change, in reality because he has no resources and hopes that all will work out well) or whatever.

I'm not saying that this is what exactely happens in each and every company, but its not Apples fault, if a company has no supposedly compatible product with a new OS on release.
Supposedly, because there can alway be last minute changes in the OS, or things not found while testing, because users use a product different than developers do. But problems resulting from this should be sorted out quickly.

Apple does include RAW support for cameras they think there is a demand for or what they think are key cameras like Canons and Nikons top range. 1000 sold worldwide per year is no demand in this terms. And with Apples current strategy digital backs do not seem rated as "key systems", which may change with a new product manager or change with shift of public interest.

If your product is not one of those included by Apple, you will have to ask for being included and provide samples and documentation. Many companies may fail at this step, because it has to be organized and somebody has to do it, "but hey I have better things to do than write documentation for Apple, rev 7.5.8 has to be finished, and nobody will use Aperture anyway, because our super duper what ever it is called is so much better". Probably Aperture support is not really wanted if the software is not free, because it might result in lower sales in the end.

I really doubt that there is a conspirace from Apple at work here. From my experiences in hard- and software development it's usually a lack of resources (financial and/or manpower) or nobody feeling responsible.

No matter what, the only thing you you can Apple blame for is that they update thei OS, how can they dare ?

Wow what triggered this ? I think I have find a therapist

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
phase one
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 02:45:07 am »

There's a smack of truth to the talk about Apple not being helpful and in some cases gets political.  Who gets seeded and who gets support is at the whim of some rather green managers.  I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the fault is Phase - I mean they must be on the bad side of Apple since they didn't get support for their RAW files in Core image or Aperture either (while Leaf and others did).  I hope I'm wrong but Apple probably will never support Phase backs and it probably has to do with one or two stubborn middle managers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

remember when apple did that teaser video with a photographer shooting with an h25 back? doesnt apple support phase yet? what a joke.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Andy M

• http://
phase one
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 03:16:14 am »

When I contacted Phase head office at the time , I was told that Photoshop was for designers not photographers and that they believed that the soft wear was superior.

Boy talk about Dutch arrogance.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170869\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sure hate that Dutch arrogance  

Phase One’s head office is located in Copenhagen, *Denmark*.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
phase one
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 03:26:47 am »

I sure hate that Dutch arrogance  

Phase One’s head office is located in Copenhagen, *Denmark*.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Close enough mate its only a few kilometres difference

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up