Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APS and 17x22 paper  (Read 6056 times)

marty m

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 335
    • http://
APS and 17x22 paper
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:13:58 pm »

This may have previously been reported, if so, I apologize for reporting on something everyone might already know

Many months ago Panascape reported that the newly revised APS would not work with the largest profile TC 9.18 "set" on 17x22 but would work on 17" roll paper.  Ever since then I have tried to order any new paper in a 17" roll so I can profile it using TC9.18.

Epson Exhibition Fiber makes that impossible.

So I decided to try several 17x22 sheets of Entrada and Museo Max and see what happens.

It prints the entire largest profile on one sheet.  The description on the bottom is not included.

The paper then completely exits and unloads from the printer, although this appears to be unintentional.  After the time counts down for drying, the printer attempts to find and scan the paper, and then reports an error.

Then load the paper.  Start the APS again and tell it you want to profile a page that was previously printed.  It will do just that.

So as far as I can tell, the APS will profile 17x22 paper using the largest profile TC 9.18 "set."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:21:52 pm by marty m »
Logged

chris anderson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 09:43:16 pm »

i have profiled on 13x19 through aps as well
   C


Quote
This may have previously been reported, if so, I apologize for reporting on something everyone might already know

Many months ago Panascape reported that the newly revised APS would not work with the largest profile TC 9.18 "set" on 17x22 but would work on 17" roll paper.  Ever since then I have tried to order any new paper in a 17" roll so I can profile it using TC9.18.

Epson Exhibition Fiber makes that impossible.

So I decided to try several 17x22 sheets of Entrada and Museo Max and see what happens.

It prints the entire largest profile on one sheet.  The description on the bottom is not included.

The paper then completely exits and unloads from the printer, although this appears to be unintentional.  After the time counts down for drying, the printer attempts to find and scan the paper, and then reports an error.

Then load the paper.  Start the APS again and tell it you want to profile a page that was previously printed.  It will do just that.

So as far as I can tell, the APS will profile 17x22 paper using the largest profile TC 9.18 "set."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Logged

marty m

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 335
    • http://
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:26:46 pm »

Quote
i have profiled on 13x19 through aps as well
   C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170444\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
But with which target -- the small one, the medium size or the largest?

After I posted the above, I found a vague reference in the notes for the last version of APS that it will work on multiple sheets or something like that.  I had assumed that multiple sheets are not allowed because Robert/Panascape reported that it would be very difficult to make that change.

So can it now profile 13x19 using the largest TC9.18 target -- which would definitely require more than one sheet?  (That target barely fits on one sheet of 17x22)

Or are you using one of the smaller targets?
Logged

ltphoto

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:13:28 am »

Quote
But with which target -- the small one, the medium size or the largest?

After I posted the above, I found a vague reference in the notes for the last version of APS that it will work on multiple sheets or something like that.  I had assumed that multiple sheets are not allowed because Robert/Panascape reported that it would be very difficult to make that change.

So can it now profile 13x19 using the largest TC9.18 target -- which would definitely require more than one sheet?  (That target barely fits on one sheet of 17x22)

Or are you using one of the smaller targets?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170460\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With the latest version I can profile on any size paper from letter on up. With letter size it takes six sheets, but it can be done. That is with the largest target size.

Roy
Logged

chris anderson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:29:52 pm »

Quote
With the latest version I can profile on any size paper from letter on up. With letter size it takes six sheets, but it can be done. That is with the largest target size.

Roy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170560\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]



yes the 9.18 target
Logged

marty m

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 335
    • http://
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 01:07:45 am »

Duhhhh. . . .  

OK, this has to qualify as the dumbest post and thread I ever initiated.  (To be clear, I am criticizing myself, not any of those who responded and corrected me.)

I never realized that the last release of APS allowed for sheets as small as 13x19 or smaller.  Many months ago someone argued that it was impossible to change the APS to use sheets that small, and the best we'd ever get is 17" rolls.  He claimed to be in contact with Spain.  I was convinced.

So it just never occurred to me that he was wrong, and the APS now does sheets.

I just finished using two 13x19 sheets, and just like you said -- it works.

One other observation, but you all probably know this.  Use the default setting, not the fit to page setting.

I was getting error messages last week on a 17x22.  I'm guessing it was caused by using the wrong setting, so I'll try the default setting next and see what happens.

Thanks again to Chris Anderson and ItPhoto for setting me straight.
Logged

neil snape

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1446
    • http://www.neilsnape.com
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:24:29 am »

Yes this was changed a while back. As I had posted here and in my review it's doable, but a little tedious with small sheets.

But wait, there's more (as Russell Brown would say), you can then profile any other printer you like including small format.

So your Z becomes an automated reader and top end profiler.
No one can argue the benefit of the spectro in this case.
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:30 am »

Quote
Yes this was changed a while back. As I had posted here and in my review it's doable, but a little tedious with small sheets.

But wait, there's more (as Russell Brown would say), you can then profile any other printer you like including small format.

So your Z becomes an automated reader and top end profiler.
No one can argue the benefit of the spectro in this case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, yeah!!!!   That's one of the reasons I bought the Z3100 and APS.  Its like having the Eye One iO and Profile Maker built into your printer.  Very easy to use and no hassles.  Kudos to the team in Spain for making this leap in printers.
Logged
Regards,
Ron

AImagery

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 03:35:25 pm »

Quote
Yes this was changed a while back. As I had posted here and in my review it's doable, but a little tedious with small sheets.

But wait, there's more (as Russell Brown would say), you can then profile any other printer you like including small format.

So your Z becomes an automated reader and top end profiler.
No one can argue the benefit of the spectro in this case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170873\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Neil,

Can you explain step by step how to profile other printers with Z3100.

Thanks.
Logged

neil snape

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1446
    • http://www.neilsnape.com
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 01:31:34 am »

Quote
Hi Neil,

Can you explain step by step how to profile other printers with Z3100.

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's just a step change where you save out the charts in the format you want, and select read charts later. Then run APS again  after you charts are dry, feed them into the Z as requested. The media requests terminology is not perfectly clear, but in the end it works . APS has redundancy built in so if there is an error it will post an alert and ask to remedy the problem while in operation.
Logged

AImagery

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 09:21:36 am »

Quote
It's just a step change where you save out the charts in the format you want, and select read charts later. Then run APS again  after you charts are dry, feed them into the Z as requested. The media requests terminology is not perfectly clear, but in the end it works . APS has redundancy built in so if there is an error it will post an alert and ask to remedy the problem while in operation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Neil.

But I don't understand how to print the chart trough other printer.

Will APS recognize (let's say for argument sake) Epson, Canon or other HP printer and print chosen chart through this printer?
If not, how can I create a chart file which will fit on several 13X19 or 8X10 papers and will be compatible-readable by APS-Z3100
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:20 am »

Quote
Thank you Neil.

But I don't understand how to print the chart trough other printer.

Will APS recognize (let's say for argument sake) Epson, Canon or other HP printer and print chosen chart through this printer?
If not, how can I create a chart file which will fit on several 13X19 or 8X10 papers and will be compatible-readable by APS-Z3100
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not at my computer/printer now but the APS targets should be on your PC/Mac.  How they get managed printing across sheets on other printers isn't clear to me.  Maybe Neil can help explain.

I think I placed some of the targets on the z3100 wiki a while ago if you want to look there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:18:30 pm by rdonson »
Logged
Regards,
Ron

chris anderson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 12:41:31 pm »

Quote
I'm not at my computer/printer now but the APS targets should be on your PC/Mac.  How they get managed printing across sheets on other printers isn't clear to me.  Maybe Neil can help explain.

I think I placed some of the targets on the z3100 wiki a while ago I you want to look there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


I am very interested as well. I found the charts, but how do you size them for other printers, 13x19 or muliiple 8x10 sheets?
               C
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 02:35:55 pm »

Quote
I am very interested as well. I found the charts, but how do you size them for other printers, 13x19 or muliiple 8x10 sheets?
               C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the question for sure.  As far as I can tell that's handled by APS on the Z as I just checked and the TC9.18 target is still 2700x3012.  What to do with the target on other printers so that it can be read by APS on the Z is currently the gnawing question.

I found the targets on my machine:

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advanced Profiling Solution\References\Printer\DJ_Zx100
Logged
Regards,
Ron

chris anderson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 111
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 04:44:28 pm »

neil,
  Please tell us how to profile smaller printers!!!
                    Chris
Logged

michael

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5084
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 09:13:01 pm »

Charlie Cramer has developed a method for using a Z3100 and APS to profile other printers. He is in the process of writing the article and it will appear here when it's completed, probably in a few weeks.

It definitely is possible, but it is somewhat complicated.

Michael
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
APS and 17x22 paper
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:27 am »

Quote
Charlie Cramer has developed a method for using a Z3100 and APS to profile other printers. He is in the process of writing the article and it will appear here when it's completed, probably in a few weeks.

It definitely is possible, but it is somewhat complicated.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Excellent!!!   Thanks, Michael.  We'll anxiously await Charlie's article.
Logged
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up