Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink Out Problems with Epson 2200  (Read 2932 times)

misterpatrick

Ink Out Problems with Epson 2200
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »

Hello all,

having some problems with my Epson 2200. The matte black ink indicator is suddenly showing that it is empty. Putting in a new cartridge is not resolving it. I spent an hour on the phone with tech support but nothing fixes it. I can send it in for a diagnostic, but that's $50 plus the courier fee over and back. There is a flat rate to fix it for $259 plus freight which runs around $30. This is the second 2200 that has died on me.

So, the question is, has anyone had this problem and what was the fix? I am trying to decide whether I just need to buy a new printer and be done with it or spend the time and money getting this one repaired. Thanks!

martinog

• http://www.artesheila.com/foto.html
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:51:35 pm »

Hi,
I also have a 2200 limping along with a CIS and had a problem with the magenta cart. I took it out wiped the chip with alcohol and so far so good. Whether it was reseating it or the alochol I don't know but worth a try. When mine finally stops I will be buying a 3800 or hopefully a 3880

Regards
Martin

misterpatrick

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »

I tried wiping it once and it didn't do anything and other carts don't help. I spent an hour on the phone with Epson Tech support but to no avail. I was hoping someone here has had a similar problem. I am more-or-less happy with the 2200, but don't know if I want to spend the $300 to get it repaired. Of course, I'm also not sitting on $1,200 for the 3800 at the moment.

grepmat

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 03:25:42 am »

I had this problem with my old 2200. By the way, did you by chance have that ink run low or out on you when the problem occurred?

I made a very extensive search for potential solutions, and found that others had had the same problem, though not frequently by any means. I tried everything, to no avail. If you truly have the same problem I had, there is no easy fix.

Forget the diagnostic. It would just be wasted money. You are facing two choices: send it in for the flat-rate repair, or buy a new printer.

The price for the flat-rate repair is not terrible, actually. However, the 2200 is by now an ancient machine. If you can spare the money, you will want to consider a new printer, preferably an upgrade to a 3800. That was my choice, and WOW, what an improvement in every single respect! (Wait another week for PMA before choosing this option, just in case.)

Best of luck, and let us know how it turned out.

grepmat

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:28:19 am »

P.S.: Sorry, I didn't see your second post's comment regarding the 3800 - I didn't mean to be insensitive or off-topic. It's a tough choice that you are facing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up