Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APS: Q on Profile Editing  (Read 2078 times)

walter.sk

APS: Q on Profile Editing
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:17:52 am »

I have been getting good results from profiling papers and my monitor with the Z3100ps using APS.  I have two questions, one simple, one maybe not so simple.

1)  Do I do any possible harm by leaving the colorimeter permanently plugged into a USB port?

2)  I took a look at Optimizing and Editing my printer profiles.  I got to a window showing a washed out image with a red X over it, over a Softproof Direction button, and a better version of the image with a green check over the Printer Direction button.
If I pressed either button, the images switched places.  Also, the provile selected was not one of the ones I had developed.  When I selected ones I had worked on, there was no change in the Softproof window (the red X remained, as well.)  

Moving on to the next window, I got the larger image with the before and after sides.  What am I to correct, and how?  I am confused about the whole process.  My softproofs seemed to me to be fairly accurate in predicting how the prints will look, and my monitor profiles are consistently in the upper end of Excellent as indicated by the APS software.  

The documentation in the APS software doesn't seem to clear up my confusion.  Also, wouldn't it make more sense when editing the profile to have two identical images side by side to more accurately gauge the changes, rather than one image with different halves, with no direct way to compare the changes on identical parts of the image?

I hope my questions are decipherable.

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:29:02 pm »

1) I've left my colorimeter plugged in for a few years without any noticeable negative effect.

2) I'm not sure I fully understand your issue.  Editing the profile looks like this for me.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:45 am »

The colorimeter will draw a small amount of current on the usb bus. I always unplug the device after use, and only plug it in again for APS. I use an external monitor profiler anyway, so only needed the i1 for launching APS.
The editing of profiles has never been clear. Hence the quite good UI which is graphically oriented. Think of it this way, the profile for media has multiple paths derived from the measured data. One direction is the measurement data to a common space (Profile Connection Space) which is a self defined or grid placed description of these colours. Yet your monitor or printer cannot directly use these values so it is transposed to rgb. Which direction of the profile is less than pleasing is the sense that you need to correct. For example if it prints fine but the on screen image is too dark then you'd adjust the monitor side. If the image is fine onscreen, yet it prints too dark or too red etc, then you'll adjust the printer side.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:50:43 am »

Well said, Neil!!!!
Regards,
Ron

AImagery

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:00:43 pm »

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows when APS will be supported by MAC OS 10.5 aka Leopard?

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:47:30 pm »

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows when APS will be supported by MAC OS 10.5 aka Leopard?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169622\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I believe the official HP line is sometime in the first quarter.  X-Rite implied sooner than end of March, as they allegedly finished their side and handed it off to HP in mid-December, but they don't call the shots.  

I've run into an odd problem that causes my printer to crash repeatedly in 10.5.1 when using the PS PPD that came with APS, so I've recently started using the raster driver instead.  I don't know what happened, but it initially worked fine with Leopard, unlike APS, and has only developed problems over time.  

I'd love to be able to run APS without a reboot and to get my PS driver functionality back, but I've learned about wishing for earlier release dates.  Sometimes you get what you ask for, and new headaches to boot.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up