Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Devlin's G9 article  (Read 24585 times)

HiltonP

• http://hiltonp-twotrains.blogspot.com/
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

Congratulations on producing an informative and most enjoyable article.
It was a pleasure to follow your tale of discovery with your "petite, shapely and easy going" new friend.

The sample photographs were sufficiently varied in setting and composition so as to provide good insight into the G9's capabilities.

I for one look forward to reading more of your articles. Thank you.
Regards, HILTON

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:47:56 am »

Who does Nick Devlin believe he is? Bill Murray? Well something was "lost in translation" :  . Seriously, the article was well written, informative but gave some comic relief to most of the dry articles we see in photographic web sites. I'm glad to see there's at least one professional photographer that doesn't take himself to seriously.

dkosiur

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:22:15 pm »

Good review. Many thanks.

But I wondered why Nick bothered to buy the Lensmate tube for his G9? I can understand an extension like that makes for a more stable grasp of the camera, but that only seems to be the case when using an optical viewfinder. But I never use the optical viewfinder on my G9, and it sounds as though Nick doesn't either. And the Lensmate extension gets in the way of the optical viewfinder, anyway.

So, Nick, why the Lensmate extension?    

dave

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:34:26 pm »

So, Nick, why the Lensmate extension?   

dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Short answer: 'cause it came with the camera!  

Long answer: it really, really, really improves the feel of the camera in the hand. As I said in the review, I really liked carrying the camera by wrapping my hand around the Lensmate.  It felt really good and stable.  

Reasons two, it made a big difference on stability for me when shooting, even when composing with the LCD. It also allows the camera to sit level with the lens extended for better stability or self-timer shots.

Reason three: it protects the lens. My fiancee's daughter dropped her Nikon P&S with the lens extended last month, from about 8 inches off the floor. Now it just makes an ugly sound when the lens tries to retract. Dead as a doornail and economically unrepairable.  These motorized zooms are comprised of lots of little plastic gears just aching to be broken or misaligned. The Lensmate offers very effective protection against that.

Reason Four: it's a passble lens shade.

C'est tout.

- N.

ps. thanks all for the kinds comments. Keeping the questions coming if you have any.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:37:27 pm »

A good read and a good review.  Recommended for all considering the G9.

The Lensmate adapter really does improve the handling of the G9 - to me anyway.  Mine also has the grip attachment and a wrist strap.

Like the G7, the G9 has a near-cult following.

... and now there's a cable release attachment from Richard Franiec!  I just got mine and it works very well.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:21:57 pm »

It's a treat to read a report by someone wha actually has fun using a camera.
Nice review.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

picnic

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:07:36 pm »

Short answer: 'cause it came with the camera!   

Long answer: it really, really, really improves the feel of the camera in the hand. As I said in the review, I really liked carrying the camera by wrapping my hand around the Lensmate.  It felt really good and stable. 

Reasons two, it made a big difference on stability for me when shooting, even when composing with the LCD. It also allows the camera to sit level with the lens extended for better stability or self-timer shots.

Reason three: it protects the lens. My fiancee's daughter dropped her Nikon P&S with the lens extended last month, from about 8 inches off the floor. Now it just makes an ugly sound when the lens tries to retract. Dead as a doornail and economically unrepairable.  These motorized zooms are comprised of lots of little plastic gears just aching to be broken or misaligned. The Lensmate offers very effective protection against that.

Reason Four: it's a passble lens shade.

C'est tout.

- N.

ps. thanks all for the kinds comments. Keeping the questions coming if you have any.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169280\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All good reasons.  Really enjoyed the review.  My question has to do with the Lensmate (which I too own).  How did you manage to put it in your pocket with it on?  I find myself with it off most of the time because I want to carry it in a small handbag or pocket (but, whoops--came back to say---I agree, it helps in the handling tremendously--I also added an L bracket since I thought I would shoot IR with it more---but succumbed to having a DSLR body converted).    The G9 is the first small cam I've bought since the original G1 and it comes close--but still....

I like the grip--have that also, like the images---even bought a Voigtlander 35mm VF since I also have a problem using the LCD--really dislike using an LCD though I like the live histo LOL.  And--I'm still having a love/dislike problem with the camera.  I never can 'quite' get myself to carry it alone for any situation where I may want to 'seriously' take photos--though not a planned shoot.  I suspect its more me than the camera.  I"m working on it though.  One of these days I'm going to get myself to walk out the door without the 5D (maybe LOL).

Diane
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:09:07 pm by picnic »

nokinq

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:22 pm »

Very good review of the G9 I bought the G7 for the very same reason i.e. convenience when holidaying however the lens attachment would not appeal to me as I find the ability to fit it in my jacket pocket or a slim pouch on my belt to important to give up.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:08:52 pm »

There is a temptation with any camera, or any other gadget for that matter, to find and acquire the extra accessories to make it that bit better. Whilst I applaud the innovation and thinking that has gone into many of these, what for me is simply great about the G9 is its simplicity. It can be used as a simple point and shoot, but there's sufficient sophistication to make it so much more flexible without having to buy extra bits. Clearly an electronic gismo will rarely deliver the same as a physical one, but I do think Canon have delivered well with the G9. Its now my carry everywhere camera, and more to the point its also my gets used nearly everywhere camera!

Great review - thanks Nick. So nice to read something objective. My M8 hasn't travelled for a while either...
Pete Truman

GregW

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

Is there is anyone out there with a G7 and would like to shoot RAW? http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

A friend pointe me to this a couple of months ago.  It been pretty robust in my exerience.  It's not designed to overwrite your existing Canon firmware which is an additional bonus.

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 11:12:38 am »

Excellent article, I like my G9 as well, no attachments, but have found the info on this link very useful for those somewhat noisy iso 800 shots I tend to shoot.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=20662

Sfleming

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »

Surprised I had to dig back a couple days to find the thread on this excellent article.  I don't drop in all that often any more.  Like once a week whereas a couple years ago it was twice a day. Or more.

I really really liked this article.  I usually end up skimming these sorts of articles by about one third of the way through.  This one held me almost to the very last paragraph.  Almost.

Really liked the images.  That green Buddha with the mist is mesmerizing.  Like to see it larger.

The author's prose was refreshing.  Tasty.

I spose it helps that I luuuuuuv my G9.

[ imagine a 'thumbs up' icon here]

Stephen Scharf

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:02:11 am »

Nick,
A well-written, informative and enjoyable article. I also think the photographs are terrific, too, some are quite poignant.

I've had a G9 I've been using for about 4 months now. Like you, I am unsure about the camera in some respects. While I very much like the body and features, and how easy it is to access controls on the camera, I have issues around the image quality. I have a couple of F-series Fujis, and while they do not shoot in RAW, they quite simply mop the floor with the G9 when it comes to noise performance shooting in low light at high ISO. Really, there is no comparison. I find the G9 limiting in some sense because it really only meets my requirements for image quality at ISO 80. To be honest with you, I agree with Phil Askey in his recent comments on DPReview that I've haven't seen an improvement in image quality since point-and-shoots were at 6 megapixels resolution. I would really prefer a Raw-shooting G9 body using a 6th generation 6 megapixel Fuji SuperCCD sensor and a useable optical viewfinder. That would be a sweet camera in my book.

I will agree though, that the IS on the G9 works very well, and really does allow you to get impressively sharp photos at ridiculously low shutter speeds in low available light.

So, while the jury is out on the G9, I am still using it, and getting some very nice images. But, I've also taken to bringing one of the little Fujis along with me if I am going out at night or into situations with low light.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:03:51 am by Stephen Scharf »

macgyver

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 12:16:47 am »

I would like to see a raw comparison between a g9 and a hacked g7.

Kevin Gallagher

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 07:14:32 am »

Nick, great article and for me, perfectly timed!! Been looking for something small, my middle aged body has been complaining lately!

GregW..thanks for the link to the firmware..very interesting indeed.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

John Camp

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 05:48:24 pm »

I've had a G7 and played with my son-in-law's G9, and also have an M8. I agree with everything Nick said; the G9's a brilliant piece of work. But the Leica's image quality is better. It's not as small, but you can easily carry it just as Nick said he carried the G9, with a handstrap. You can stick a 21 on the camera, carry a 35 and a 90 in your pockets; or, if it's bright, a WATE and the standard TE, plus a 75 or 90.

Pocket-fitting or not-pocket-fitting seems to me to be the critical point; if I were willing to take a along a camera that it didn't fit in my pocket, might as well shoot the Leica. If I decided I needed or wanted to a camera in my pocket, I'd have made up my mind in advance that I'd be giving up picture quality. (Which is usually fine with me; I'm not usually traveling to take photos.)

When I travel to travel, I currently carry a Leica D-Lux 3, which I stupidly bought for fashion reasons, and is not nearly as good a camera as the G9; it is, however, more expensive. 8-)  The D-Lux does have a better lens, I think. My dream camera of this sort would be a Fuji sensor of ~8-10mp in a G9 with a Leica zoom. All the parts are there, just not from the same people.

One thing that most people don't talk about, concerning the Leica, is that if you take along an assortment of lenses (a WATE, and fast 21, 35, 50, 75, 135), that means, for me at least, that I'm often leaving $10,000+ in lenses in a hotel room. I do it, but I'm always relieved to get back and find them still there...

JC

atassy

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 04:57:18 am »

thanks for an excellent article! i too, bought the g9 a couple of months ago, looking for that easy travel companion that wouldn't compromise on quality (not too much at least)...

i'm especially glad that nick mentioned one particularly annoying bug: the display can't really be turned off. or if you turn it off, it still turns itself back on whenever the camera receives some sort of input from some of its sensors. extremely annoying and a real, practical disadvantage.
like nick i also programmed the 'quick function' button to turn off the display but that didn't change it's non-compliance with my simple wish.

i do hope that canon will fix this in a firmware update. this is simply 'unacceptable behaviour' from any camera.

two things that nick suggests i had actually adapted myself, well before reading his article. i'd just like to point them out here to re-affirm their usefulness.
one's the wrist strap. it does support nicely the way you'll be handling this little thing.
the other is the lensmate hood. it's a great accessory for the reasons stated. only one addition: i wasn't aware of the metal version from lensmate, so i bought canon's plastic piece to go with the wide angel converter. stay away from this. the lensmate sounds so much better, i'd always prefer solid metal (especially when screwing on the conversion lens!) to that icky, flimsy plastic thing that canon is dishing up.

if the g9 fairy visited me in my sleep and i had only one wish, it would be for more reach on the wide-angle end. i'd happily give up a tiny bit on the tele side for that. this would save people like myself from having to carry a fairly chunky conversion lens.

apart from this i can only agree that the g9 is a fun piece that's  capable to deliver some fairly decent quality images. it's certainly got its place in my pocket.

Rob C

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43:33 am »

Don´t want to start any fisticuffs here, just posing a question: those who already own high-grade cameras, why would you also own a cheaper, less good camera? If an image is worth making, then surely it is worth doing so at the highest level open to you; if it isnt worth the effort, how can it be worth shooting in the first place? What on earth can you want to do with second-best?

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:01:26 pm by Rob C »

michael

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:54 am »

When they make a Nikon D3 or Canon 1Ds MKIII that fits in a pocket your point will be valid. (Or didn't you actually read the article?)

Michael
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:46:29 am by michael »

JohnKoerner

Nick Devlin's G9 article
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:22:11 am »

the G9's a brilliant piece of work. But the Leica's image quality is better ...

concerning the Leica, is that if you take along an assortment of lenses (a WATE, and fast 21, 35, 50, 75, 135), that means, for me at least, that I'm often leaving $10,000+ in lenses in a hotel room.

Well, I would hope that $10,000 worth of equipment would ultimately produce "better image quality" than a $450 point-n-shoot ... but the question is, does it produce $10,000-worth better images?  

I have also just recently purchased the G9, and I agree there is no other camera that can touch it for the price range. And in RAW mode, with favorable lighting, the images from the G9 are about as clean as one could hope for.

No, the G9 is not as versatile and precise as a good DSLR in every condition, nor was it ever meant to be, but in many (if not most) situations it is infinitely more convenient to carry and use.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up