Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch out for the 1D MKIII Recall  (Read 2929 times)

Charlesu

Watch out for the 1D MKIII Recall
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:08 pm »

I've had a very bad experience with the MK III recall and wanted others to be aware before they send theirs in.  I was contacted in early December about sending mine in and was told an email woudl arrive with instructions, a mailing label, etc.  I was told the repair would PROBABLY take 1-3 days but they were telling people up to 5 days.  

I had a couple of more jobs to knock out before the holidays but shipped the camera about a week later.  I got an email from Canon on 12-27 saying that they had received it on 12-20 and would start working on it on 12-27 and that it would be returned within 7 business days.  And then......silence.

A week went by.  I was OK because I had nothing scheduled into the New Year and was expecting the camera any day.  But then 7 business days had come and gone and no camera.  And no email.  And no phone call (they already had my number and I had included it with the camera).  

So I called Canon last week and was told that the mirror replacement had been completed but the body had started throwing error messages.  So, they had shipped the camera from Virginia to New Jersey to be repaired by CPS.  No word except that it was there and being repaired.  Most importantly, no warning to me about the delays.  

So I called CPS and was told that the camera was indeed there sitting in a locked cabinet waiting for evaluation.  They said they expected it would be returned to me within a week.  They confirmed that the mirror had been replaced but that the camera had indeed started throwing error messages.  They gave me the two error numbers and that was all they could tell me.  

Today the camera arrived back from Canon's repair center in California (not on the east coast as I had been told)!  It was wrapped in bubble wrap with my original note and a repair order from Canon saying that the AF mirror had been adjusted and the latest firmware installed.  No other explanation about the delays, additional problems, etc.  

So apparently the mirror was not replaced.  I have no idea how or why the camera got to California.  There was no explanation of the additional repairs that was needed.  No apologies for the delay and the lack of keeping me updated.  Nothing.

On top of this all, I lost a commercial client.  I had to postpone their job until this past weekend (when I was able to get a loaner from CPS).  I had worked with them before so they seemed ok with the delay.  Unfortunately, they weren't.  When I showed up there was another pro there doing the shooting.  They greeted me nicely but explained that they had gone ahead and booked another photographer.  

Had I been informed of the delay, I could have renegotiated with my client sooner or requested a loaner from CPS earlier.  Or made some other kind of arrangement.  In a pinch I could have done the shoot with my 5D but it would not have been ideal.

So, be very wary of Canon's expectations about your MK III repairs.  Also, don't believe them when you call and ask for an update or the location of your camera.  I think I was just completely sold a bill of goods.  Canon had my camera for nearly a month and apparently didn't even know where it was a good bit of this time.  So much for a 1-3 day turnaround.

I do thank CPS for getting me a loaner 1DMKII N out, even if my client had already hired someone else.

Charlesu

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:52:29 am »

So it's been suggested that I call Canon to let them know just how poorly they've handled this.

Several questions come to my mind.  Do I call the folks who called me and incorrectly set my expectations about turnaround?  Or do I call the people who lied to me about my camera's status and location?

Once I call them, how do I get to someone who's empowered (I hate to use that word) and who gives a damn about customer experience instead of someone working in a call center for $10 per hour?

If anyone has a suggestion, or better yet a contact name and number, I'd love to hear it.  

At this point I'm considering a switch to the evil emprire.  I've been with Canon since the AE-1. I have re-evaluated with each major leap in technology and still stuck with them.  But this screw up on their part cost me in the wallet and in reputation.

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »

Did you send the camera through CPS with the priority labels ? In my welcome packet, they emphasize that you *must* do so to get expedited service. As things happened, it looked like Canon had no means of knowing that you were a working professional with a deadline to get your camera. The delay is still unacceptable, but note that the time estimate was given as a "probable".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:47:40 pm by luong »
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards

Charlesu

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

Did you send the camera through CPS with the priority labels ? In my welcome packet, they emphasize that you *must* do so to get expedited service. As things happened, it looked like Canon had no means of knowing that you were a working professional with a deadline to get your camera. The delay is still unacceptable, but note that the time estimate was given as a "probable".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, they said when they called me that we CPS members were getting expedited handling.  I think the holidays caused some delay.  But shipping the camera to California without warning me of the delay is unforgivable.  Plus, they never documented what repairs were made.  I called today and got additional info on that.  Whoever I spoke with had access to super secret internal documentation about my repairs.  Of course it was for internal use only.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:48:42 pm »

My experience of canon service in the UK is just as awful. CPS or non CPS
Fixed in only 3 days! Yeah right. It turns out that 3 days once they decided what the problem is, received payment [if out of warranty] and got parts in, watered their garden, keyworded their holiday last year.....
3 weeks I seem to think it took for the 'professional' sevice!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:48:59 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up