Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DMkIII & WiFi  (Read 3666 times)

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
1DMkIII & WiFi
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:27:14 pm »

I'm playing with my new WFT-E2A (WiFi) on my 1D Mark III and getting it set up and running was pretty simple.  That is once I found the MAC address for the thing as we use a MAC-filtered access list as part of our wireless security.)

The one thing I've found which frustrates me is that when hooked up with the images going to the computer, the camera's image number isn't being updated.  And that results in name conflicts when you you shoot images in the camera without the WiFi.  It's like the in-camera counter stops when the WFT-E2A is connected and active.

I have not found a way to get images written to a memory card in the camera AND sent via WiFi at the same time.  I'm guessing that if this can be done, then the image numbering might work.  I've tried all the settings in the Recording Func and Media settings menu and nothing I do allows writing to a card AND sending via WiFi at the same time.  (I can write identical images to both memory cards, different formats to each card, or only to one card at a time but not a card and the WiFi.)  There must be something I'm overlooking here.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

francois

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:45:42 am »

…The one thing I've found which frustrates me is that when hooked up with the images going to the computer, the camera's image number isn't being updated.  And that results in name conflicts when you you shoot images in the camera without the WiFi.  It's like the in-camera counter stops when the WFT-E2A is connected and active.…
This works exactly like tethered mode. The in-camera counter is being correctly updated (that counter counts the total number of photos taken). So file number in the filename is not in synch with the total number of photos taken. I'm not aware of any work-around although I believe that you can fool the (filename) counter into accepting a higher file number (not worth it IMO).
Francois

Eldor

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 08:32:45 am »

This works exactly like tethered mode. The in-camera counter is being correctly updated (that counter counts the total number of photos taken). So file number in the filename is not in synch with the total number of photos taken. I'm not aware of any work-around although I believe that you can fool the (filename) counter into accepting a higher file number (not worth it IMO).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply, Francois.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?  It just doesn't sound right to me.  The way it is, there's just too much chance of filename conflicts (as I've been finding out).

This makes using tethered/WiFi modes far less useful (to me at least).

Do you know of any way with the MkIII to get images saved to BOTH the memory card and the tether/Wifi?  If that can be done, perhaps the filenames would stay in sync.  (And I'd actually prefer that, as I'd have TWO copies of an image for security.)

Cheers!

Eldor

francois

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:05 am »

Thanks for the reply, Francois.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?  It just doesn't sound right to me.  The way it is, there's just too much chance of filename conflicts (as I've been finding out).
Unfortunately, I guess it's the way it was designed. Yes, I agree it's confusing.

This makes using tethered/WiFi modes far less useful (to me at least).

Do you know of any way with the MkIII to get images saved to BOTH the memory card and the tether/Wifi?  If that can be done, perhaps the filenames would stay in sync.  (And I'd actually prefer that, as I'd have TWO copies of an image for security.)

Cheers!

Eldor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166490\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I haven't been able to get my hands on a 1Ds Mk3 yet (Switzerland is always on the slow side), so I can't really help. But I think that WiFi mode is similar to tethered shooting and with Mk2s, I haven't  been able to do it (tethered + file on memory card)…  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:28:27 am by francois »
Francois

Eldor

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:37:47 am »

I haven't been able to get my hands on a 1Ds Mk3 yet (Switzerland is always on the slow side), so I can't really help. But I think that WiFi mode is similar to tethered shooting and with Mk2s, I haven't  been able to do it (tethered + file on memory card)… 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, I'm as sure as I can be that before I got this rig I read an article or review somewhere that said writing to both the card and the computer was possible with the MkIII.  But of course I can't remember where I saw that, which is why I was asking here.  I recall that this "feature" was being presented as something new in the MkIII.

Another thing that is new is the ability of the camera to write simultaneously to both CF and SD cards, with either the exact same file, or a different version of the file.  For example you could have RAW going to the CF and small JPG to the SD (or whatever combo you wanted).  Or you can have the camera automatically switch to the other card when the first one is full.  Lots of neat improvements.

Anyway, this particular feature (writing to the camera and computer) I really believe is possible with this model, but I haven't figured out how to do it.  IF I find out, I'll post here, but for now I'm going to keep looking.

Cheers!

francois

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:56:53 am »

Well, I'm as sure as I can be that before I got this rig I read an article or review somewhere that said writing to both the card and the computer was possible with the MkIII.  But of course I can't remember where I saw that, which is why I was asking here.  I recall that this "feature" was being presented as something new in the MkIII.

Another thing that is new is the ability of the camera to write simultaneously to both CF and SD cards, with either the exact same file, or a different version of the file.  For example you could have RAW going to the CF and small JPG to the SD (or whatever combo you wanted).  Or you can have the camera automatically switch to the other card when the first one is full.  Lots of neat improvements.

Anyway, this particular feature (writing to the camera and computer) I really believe is possible with this model, but I haven't figured out how to do it.  IF I find out, I'll post here, but for now I'm going to keep looking.

Cheers!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eldor,
I found a couple of press releases:
Major advances have also been made in recording, storage, and playback.  For example, in addition to the RAW and JPEG options found in previous EOS Digital SLRs, the EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLR now offers the “sRAW” recording format.  “sRAW” has all the flexibility of standard RAW data recording, but at one quarter  the resolution and approximately half the file size of conventional RAW images.  Another breakthrough option is the ability to record to external USB storage devices connected to the camera via the optional WFT-E2A Wireless Transmitter (see below for more information on the WFT-E2A).  Yet another new option is automatic switching of recording media; when the current recording medium becomes full, the camera switches to another automatically and continues recording without interruption.  With separate recording, a captured image can be recorded in varying sizes on different media.  Each recording medium can be set to record a specific image size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, sRAW) for each shot.  With recording of identical images, the same image is recorded to all recording media.  This is also possible with RAW+JPEG and sRAW+JPEG.  Any image stored in a memory card or external media can be copied to another installed or connected recording medium.

and

The new accessory dedicated Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2A allows wireless transfer and backup, as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode.  The new transmitter is much smaller and lighter than its predecessor and more affordable as well.  The WFT-E2A has many useful capabilities besides wireless transmission of digital photos.  In addition to supporting the EOS-1D Mark III Digital SLR’s Remote Live View functions, it can also be connected to various Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as high-capacity hard drives or convenient flash drives with much larger storage capacity than the memory cards in the camera, for instant backup as images are captured.  Whats more, the WFT-E2A can be connected to portable GPS devices to record GPS information (longitude, latitude, altitude, UTC) which is added to file metadata and displayed on the camera’s LCD screen below the histogram.

You might want to ask C. Westfall on the Digital Journalist [a href=\"http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0711/tech-tips.html]website[/url].
Francois

dtrayers

• http://
1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 03:32:32 pm »

I'm playing with my new WFT-E2A (WiFi) on my 1D Mark III and getting it set up and running was pretty simple.  That is once I found the MAC address for the thing as we use a MAC-filtered access list as part of our wireless security.)

The one thing I've found which frustrates me is that when hooked up with the images going to the computer, the camera's image number isn't being updated.  And that results in name conflicts when you you shoot images in the camera without the WiFi.  It's like the in-camera counter stops when the WFT-E2A is connected and active.

I have not found a way to get images written to a memory card in the camera AND sent via WiFi at the same time.  I'm guessing that if this can be done, then the image numbering might work.  I've tried all the settings in the Recording Func and Media settings menu and nothing I do allows writing to a card AND sending via WiFi at the same time.  (I can write identical images to both memory cards, different formats to each card, or only to one card at a time but not a card and the WiFi.)  There must be something I'm overlooking here.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166422\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not at my primary laptop right now, so I'm doing this from memory.  I assume you are using the Canon supplied software (EOS Utility and DPP).

You need to go into the preferences of EOS Utility and there set the option to use the original file name.  That's the name where there is a unique four character prefix and then a sequential number.

There is also an option to also record the image to the card as well as the computer.

If you want to send one format to the computer and keep the other on the memory card, set your camera to record the RAW to one card and a JPG to the other card.  Then set the playback mode to playback from the card with the JPG.  This is also the file sent to the computer when you are using a WFT.

I use this technique all the time.  Give it a try setting it up and let me know if you have troubles.
- Dave

Eldor

1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your info.  You're right... it works!

The only way, it seems, of using the EOS Utility properly (without resulting in file naming conflicts) is to set the option to NOT change the filename.  Anything else seems to not be able to tell the difference between one body and another.

I really hate the original filenames, and don't care much for the Canon software either.  I've got a naming convention that I've used for close to 10 years now and I'm real happy with it and I hate to change.  I was hoping to have more flexibility in image naming with EOS Utility but alas, that's not the case.

What I'm doing now (thanks to your pointer) is having the images saved to both a memory card in the camera and the computer at the same time, using the original filename the camera sets.  Afterwards I can use BreezeBrowser Pro to batch rename the images to the convention I use.  Not quite as smooth as I'd like, but certainly I can live with it.  

I've been using Chris Breeze's suite of programs for several years (BreezeBrowser Pro and DownloaderPro) and with them have developed a workflow that I'm really comfortable with.  I always use the first three positions of the filename to identify the camera body used, followed by an underscore, followed by a sequential number.  The filename in the camera might be "_P7X0123" but my system names it "p7x_00123".  The Canon utilities don't allow me to do this.

I tested the trial version of Breeze's DSLR Remote Pro software and it has a really nice interface.  In the live view mode there is a much nicer grid available than with EOS Utility's live view.  And get this, it allows AUTOFOCUSING!!!  (The Canon utility doesn't.)  But unfortunately it doesn't offer the same flexibility of file naming that BBPro or DLPro offer and you cannot even maintain the filename that the camera chooses (and rename it later).  

So right now the best option appears to be the EOS Utility, with the original filenames.  Hopefully in the not too distant future, Chris Breeze will update his DSLR Remote Pro software to beat Canon's offering in that regard.

Cheers!

Eldor

I'm not at my primary laptop right now, so I'm doing this from memory.  I assume you are using the Canon supplied software (EOS Utility and DPP).

You need to go into the preferences of EOS Utility and there set the option to use the original file name.  That's the name where there is a unique four character prefix and then a sequential number.

There is also an option to also record the image to the card as well as the computer.

If you want to send one format to the computer and keep the other on the memory card, set your camera to record the RAW to one card and a JPG to the other card.  Then set the playback mode to playback from the card with the JPG.  This is also the file sent to the computer when you are using a WFT.

I use this technique all the time.  Give it a try setting it up and let me know if you have troubles.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166781\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dtrayers

• http://
1DMkIII & WiFi
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:18:23 pm »

Eldor,

I been using BB and DL Pro for years too.  I do just as you describe, I use BB-Pro to rename everything after I get it to the computer.
- Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up