Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best material for Lightbox exhibition  (Read 18323 times)

ricgal

Best material for Lightbox exhibition
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:44:19 pm »

I am producing a body of work that i wish to exhibit on lightboxes-  The final images are scanned 5 x 4 neg film-  I have a z3100 and would like to print myself but i know pigments are not very translucient so i am wondering about the alternatives-  Duratran+lightjet?
Wisdom appreciated!
Ric
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:08 pm »

I am producing a body of work that i wish to exhibit on lightboxes-  The final images are scanned 5 x 4 neg film-  I have a z3100 and would like to print myself but i know pigments are not very translucient so i am wondering about the alternatives-  Duratran+lightjet?
Wisdom appreciated!
Ric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Epson has just released a very nice media for this. I just finished building a profile for them. I used a 7880 and the output was quite nice. I don't know how it would work on a Z3100 (you'd be on your own for a profile) but the material which is on 24" rolls makes a very nice backlit print!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:38:25 pm »

Epson has just released a very nice media for this. I just finished building a profile for them. I used a 7880 and the output was quite nice. I don't know how it would work on a Z3100 (you'd be on your own for a profile) but the material which is on 24" rolls makes a very nice backlit print!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew,  does the product have a name?

The Z3100 has a built-in spectro so creating a profile is easy.  Figuring out a paper type to use isn't always so obvious.  Does this product take a heavy ink load?  What's the paper type used on the Epson?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:39:27 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:45:40 am »

Andrew,  does the product have a name?

The Z3100 has a built-in spectro so creating a profile is easy.  Figuring out a paper type to use isn't always so obvious.  Does this product take a heavy ink load?  What's the paper type used on the Epson?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Z3100 can't profile transparent materials - it's a shame...
But hey, we can't have everything...  

M
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

jpjespersen

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:35 am »

Is it possible to profile transparent materials with the EyeOne Pro.  I too do lightbox prints usually on duratrans.  I just tested out some backlit inkjet paper from inkjet art, but was perplexed at how to profile it.
Thanks,

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:59 am »

M
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know the name (I'm on the road, don't even recall if the box I got had a name). I think its just called Epson Transparent blacklit media at this time.

The Z isn't going to handle a profile on this media, that requires a very special Spectrophotometer.

Richard Galosy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:44:42 pm »

I am producing a body of work that i wish to exhibit on lightboxes-  The final images are scanned 5 x 4 neg film-  I have a z3100 and would like to print myself but i know pigments are not very translucient so i am wondering about the alternatives-  Duratran+lightjet?
Wisdom appreciated!
Ric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ric,

I've used the Z3100 to prnt on HP colorlucent backlit material with success. I profiled it on the Z and then printed successfully. When it is too light when on the light box I increase the saturation about 10 points (it varies on the image) and darken in curves about 5-10% (again depending on image). I've also printed on Kodak ID premium luster paper and when on light box it displays ery nicely.

Richard Galosy
517-719-1913
RichardGalosy.com
Richard Galosy
Richard Galosy Photography
Woodland, CA 95695
517-719-1913
rgalosyphoto@aol.com
richardgalosy.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »

Ric,

I've used the Z3100 to prnt on HP colorlucent backlit material with success. I profiled it on the Z and then printed successfully. When it is too light when on the light box I increase the saturation about 10 points (it varies on the image) and darken in curves about 5-10% (again depending on image). I've also printed on Kodak ID premium luster paper and when on light box it displays ery nicely.

Richard Galosy
517-719-1913
RichardGalosy.com
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So far I never had backlit media that could create enough density/saturation to show the full contrast possible on a lightbox. I practice I always recommend to print two and sandwich them on the lightbox to get that contrast. Is it different with the media discussed here ?

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:44 pm »

M
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166503\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

True, it depends on the backing for me.  If the backing is clear the machine fails.  If the backing is reflective like paper it works OK.
Regards,
Ron

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 03:11:23 pm »

I've been printing backlits on an HP5000 for years now, using the pigment ink set. I've had good success with the HP Colorlucent media, as well as Kodak universal backlit film.

You might start with those.

Profiling has always been a tough issue for backlits. I've only gotten good results using HP's profile (canned) via the windows drivers, bypassing my RIP.

You might want to contact HP and see if they can build you a profile for their media on the Z3100. Should be the fastest way to good prints.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

ricgal

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:24:30 pm »

Thank you all for your input-  I will have a go-  I am imagining that pigment ink is a bad starting point because it is by nature opaque.  How does Jeff Wall do his stuff?  Can Duratran go through lightjet and has anyone been able to compare it to inkjet on backlit?
Thanks
Ric

Lorenz

• http://www.l-arts.de
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:24 pm »

hi everyone,

we print several thousand square feet of backlit prints every month.

in the past we used Kodak's 1200i in combination with Qi Pigment ink and the Kodak Universal Backlit 8mil film. Resulted in wonderful prints that feature one unique plus: the transmissive and the refelctive results are equally good. unfortunately Encad/Kodak simply ended their support on these printers and getting spare parts for our fleet of five 60" beauties put us on the market for something new...

after researching the current media for our HP Z6100 printers with the current Virvera inks we have had to acknowledge that pretty much the only campatible backlit (at least for the moment) is HP's new Premium Vivid Color Backlit Film. does take an incredible anmount of ink without bronzing (major drawback of the Vivera inks) and has in incredible gamut.

BUT you will have to find your way into a profile that was set up with a spectro like the X-Rite DTP41T or the Barbieri Spectro LFP RT. for a decent backlit used in a lightbox profiling with the built in i1 will not work well - the visual impression of the backlit was simply much, much to light plus strange color shifts. simply pulling the curves up did not work - the "right" profile solved the issue...

regarding shaddows and really, really dark tones - no problem with the vivera inks on the media. Black as black can get...

regards,

lorenz

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

BUT you will have to find your way into a profile that was set up with a spectro like the X-Rite DTP41T or the Barbieri Spectro LFP RT. for a decent backlit used in a lightbox profiling with the built in i1 will not work well - the visual impression of the backlit was simply much, much to light plus strange color shifts. simply pulling the curves up did not work - the "right" profile solved the issue...

I used both Spectrophotometer's, the final profile for Epson was done using the Barbieri which is quite cool.

ricgal

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:06:03 am »

hi everyone,
after researching the current media for our HP Z6100 printers with the current Virvera inks we have had to acknowledge that pretty much the only campatible
regarding shaddows and really, really dark tones - no problem with the vivera inks on the media. Black as black can get.......................................

regards,

lorenz
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Lorenz,  really useful
Ric

ricgal

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 04:27:58 pm »

The Hp Premium Backlit film is only available on 36" and up by the look of things-  does anyone know if their are 24" alternatives?
Thanks
Ric

pulley

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:49:47 pm »

Try Lexjet or IJ Technologies.

Also, when using pigment ink, use front print backlit film. Dye inks are better suited for reverse print backlit film.

Lorenz

• http://www.l-arts.de
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 09:26:09 am »

@Ric

rumors are that arkwright is the OEM for hp on this particular media... :-)

take a look at www.arkright.com and look for 566.50 in the aquaous section.

please note that there seems to be a deal between hp and arkwright on the media weight. the arkwright media is slightly thinner which will ultimately lead to a whatsoever lower price :-).

the media is avail in 24 inches - so you should give it a try...

we are currently crosschecking the media in house for our purposes.

bye,

lorenz

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »

thats www.arkwright.com

Bill

@Ric

rumors are that arkwright is the OEM for hp on this particular media... :-)

take a look at www.arkright.com and look for 566.50 in the aquaous section.

please note that there seems to be a deal between hp and arkwright on the media weight. the arkwright media is slightly thinner which will ultimately lead to a whatsoever lower price :-).

the media is avail in 24 inches - so you should give it a try...

we are currently crosschecking the media in house for our purposes.

bye,

lorenz
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167779\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

ricgal

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 01:58:40 pm »

thats www.arkwright.com

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks-  I'll take a look!

worldburger

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 02:59:15 pm »

Wow, great discussion.  Perhaps we can revive it a bit?

(Background: I have the Epson 7900 and their DisplayTrans Backlight Media)

Lorenz: Did you ever find out whether Arkwright's 566.50 film was the same as HP's, as suspected?

Andy/Digitaldog: I picked up the "Epson DisplayTrans Backlight Media".  Is that the film you profiled for Epson on the 7880?  You created the 7880 Backlit profile for Epson, I don't suppose you know who created the profile for the 7900 published on Epson's Support site (link below)?  Considering the fact you profiled the film for Epson, do you have any knowledge-gem's on how to massage the best print out of the film?

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support...tform=Macintosh

EDITED:
I've printed pairs (one with their ICC, the other with color management off) of test prints (granger + gamut charts, 21-step wedge, various gradients).  I've only gotten good prints at 2880.  Printing on the 1440 setting yields very strange results in the darker areas of all the test prints where it looks like smearing or ink mixing along the printhead movement-axis.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:24:06 pm by worldburger »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up