Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and Bridge Compatability  (Read 3138 times)

annbrooks1

Lightroom and Bridge Compatability
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:21:33 pm »

I have Photoshop CS3, the latest Camera Raw update and Lightroom. For sometime I have been using ACR to process RAW images with no problems. Recently I have been using Lightroom (whch I like) but changes I make to RAW images in Lightroom are not visible when I view these same images in Bridge and vice versa.

Also, when I process a RAW image with ACR, the image views in Bridge are not updated with these changes. When I removed Lightroom from my computer, changes made to the RAW image with ACR were visible in Bridge.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to overcome this frustrating problem.

Ann.

michael

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »

In Library / File / Catalog Settings / click on "Automatically write changes into XMP.

An XMP is a so-called side-car file that carries all the edit information.

Alternatively you can save your raw files as DNG format, which contains all its raw file attributes as well as all metadata editing changes that would otherwise have to be written to an XMP.

This is how different applications know what the other has done.

To do this for existing files in Lightroom select all the files (CMD/CTRL / A) and then use Metadata / Save Metadata to File. This will create XMP sidecar files for everything selected and Camera Raw will now be able to read Lightroom edits.

Michael

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:54 pm »

I use DNG and manually Save Metadata at key points in the workflow:

1. Immediately after initial import (this saves out all my settings that were applied during import)
2. During multiple passes of Editing/Rating (saves pick flags, stars, labels etc.)
3. Develop - I save often while adjusting Develop settings
4. Prior to Editing in CS3 or exporting

Also, periodically I will select a whole folder or collection and save out the metadata to all of them at once, just in case I forgot before.

Even though Lightroom lets you work indefinitely without "saving", it turns out that saving the edits out to the files is just as important as ever. There's inherent risk in only having your edits contained in the LR database. (Not to mention the original reason for the post.)

I don't like to use the "Automatically Write Changes to XMP" because it does this after EVERY edit. Constantly saving not only slows down my workflow but makes me nervous about file corruption.

From Camera Raw, you can save your edits the same way, without converting/opening/saving the file in Photoshop or another format; the Done button accomplishes this.

If you make changes in Camera Raw/Bridge and want Lightroom to see those edits, select the folder in Library and use the Library > Synchronize Folder command.

This all works the same whether using DNG or native camera files with sidecars. (Just be sure to take good care of those sidecar files.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 11:48:18 pm by Nat Coalson »
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

annbrooks1

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:44:43 am »

Thanks for your advice. I have converted to DNG and all is working fine.

I presume the way to Save Metadata is METADATA, Save Metadata to Files or cmd/S?

Ann.

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:12:13 am »

Yep, Command-S (Control-S on Windows)... just like with other programs.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up