Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iomega Ultramax 1TB  (Read 13628 times)

amsp

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« on: January 09, 2008, 03:02:15 pm »

I just bought two of these, anyone have any experience with it?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:01 pm »

I just bought two of these, anyone have any experience with it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Forgive the obvious point, but haven't you got the purchase and the question in the wrong order?

Jeremy

amsp

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:18 pm »

Forgive the obvious point, but haven't you got the purchase and the question in the wrong order?

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for that helpful answer (note the sarcasm). I did extensive research before placing my order, but if someone here has some real insight into why this would be a bad purchase I can always cancel my order.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:26:55 pm by amsp »

tgphoto

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:00:17 pm »

Iomega has a less than stellar track record (anyone remember JAZ drives?), and my personal experience with having 3 Zip Drives (and a number of Zip disks) fail, plus an Iomega CD-RW drive crap out after 2 burns left me with no confidence in the company to deliver a product I felt I could use for archival purposes.  Their drives are (and have always been) targeted at the budget-conscious consumer, rather than the serious professional.  Not exactly the kind of equipment you want to entrust your life's images with.  My advice is stay away.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:03:23 pm by tgphoto »

amsp

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:25:19 pm »

My problem with Iomega, and every other brand of pre-packaged hard drives for that matter, is that they don't disclose what's under the "hood". My first thought was to put together a kit myself with WD drives, but that would have been considerably more expensive. What the Ultramax has going for it though is price, FW800 and fan cooling.

amsp

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:58:22 am »

The drives arrived today, so far so good. First impressions:

1.) Solid build
2.) Nice design
3.) Surprisingly quiet

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:39:32 pm »

I bought two 120GB Iomega pocket drives. One failed within a week, the other is still going (I believe - both were for images for clients on consecutive shoots). 50% failure rate worries me a little with you putting a lot of faith in 1TB drives. But you own them, so good luck.

mats

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:21 am »

I have two !tb drives and both work great. They are now about 1 year old. A freind has another two that have also been problem free. All our drives are Rais 1 configured to help with file safety. Have had no problems , they seem well built but I have not looked inside to check which drives they contain.

Mats

patrickfransdesmet

Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:23 am »

I 've bought a 1TB and a 1,5 TB
they differ in case size, too bad, I can 't stack them now
Otherwise fine units, but makes a noice I cant' live with all day
so I mount them when I need them and copy from my internal HD
I would like them to be more silent
But they are rotating disks at high speed, It' physics

no problems for the moment, extremely fast
also suited for video streams in HD !!!

buy it !

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Iomega Ultramax 1TB
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 06:48:21 pm »

After having a few problems with my Lacie Extreme Disk D2 500GB (circuit board under warranty, and then the power supply, not under warranty) and Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme 1.2GB randomly not working on FW800, I purchased a new Iomega Ultra Max 1.5TB.

I've had the unit for about 3 months configured in RAID 0 to give me a single 1.5TB disk. It's quiet and had performed flawlessly. It looks great sitting next to my MacPro 8-core. I use it for redundant back ups of my internal MacPro RAID 0 1.5TB made from 2 750GB Seagate drives.

The only feature that I wish it had was auto shut-off. The Lacie drives power down automatically when the Mac is shut off. For me it's not really a big deal though as I have it all plugged into a APC 1500 Smart UPS which I turn off after I power down my MacPro.

So far, I highly recommend it.

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up