Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mac pro & leopard - storage solution  (Read 6492 times)

Mike W

mac pro & leopard - storage solution
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:48:24 pm »

Hi Folks,

If this question has arised before, I apologise.
I've used the search-function, but that didn't give any results.

I'm wondering:

Is it possible to use the 2nd (or 3d, 4th) disk bay in a Mac Pro as a internal back-up disk?
Will time Machine let you select an internal disk to back up to? Or only external?
Will time machine let you back-up to a SECOND external HD?

I'm looking to limit the amount of external hard drives. I have three at the moment.

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:40:52 am »

Is it possible to use the 2nd (or 3d, 4th) disk bay in a Mac Pro as a internal back-up disk?
Yes
Will time Machine let you select an internal disk to back up to? Or only external?
Internal or external or even a partition on the boot drive.
Will time machine let you back-up to a SECOND external HD?
At this time, Time machine can only backup and restore to one HD. You can change the hard disk (ex: use HD1 for week 1 and then change for HD2 for week 2 and then change to HD1 for week 3 etc…).
Francois

Mike W

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:25:20 am »

Thanks Francois,

This is good news! Too bad TM can only back-up to one other disk. But I could always do that manually.

regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:14:05 pm by Mike W »

dseelig

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:04 pm »

I will never use an internal drive as a backup. A few years ago i had a surge strike happen both my internal drives went but my external drives had no damage.

Roy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:25 pm »

I will never use an internal drive as a backup. A few years ago i had a surge strike happen both my internal drives went but my external drives had no damage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181913\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I find it very convenient to use an internal drive for Time Machine backup; however, it is not my only backup.

Once a week I make a full bootable backup on an external drive using SuperDuper. I keep that disk in a Pelican case in a separate building from my computer.

Time Machine keeps copies of whatever changes during the week, and beyond.

Time Machine isn't a great backup solution because it requires a lengthy recovery process in the event of a total disk failure. The Time Machine disk is not bootable. It is a great way to recover a file that was accidentally changed or deleted and it requires no user action to stay up to date.

SuperDuper creates a very useful bootable backup that will quickly have you up and running after a disk failure.

The two are complimentary and I recommend using both for comprehensive and convenient backup.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up