Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firmware for 300D  (Read 3795 times)

giles

Firmware for 300D
« on: July 15, 2005, 07:54:20 pm »

Pro: you get access to some features such as mirror lock up that are otherwise not available on the 300D.

Con: you have to read the 10D manual for some features, and not all the 10D features work on the "hacked" 300D even when they appear to be available in the menus.  This makes using the camera more complex.

I put the "Wasia" firmware on my 300D right after I purchased it.  No problems observed.  (Not that I've done as much photography with it as I wished to.  But that's another story.)

Would you use one or more of the hacked features?  If not, easy answer.  If you would, you'll have to decide.

Giles

shootergirl

Firmware for 300D
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:14:10 am »

I've been running the Undutchables version for several months and have been absolutely thrilled with it! I haven't had a single problem. I like that when I'm feeling lazy I can switch to the simple modes (such as portrait or sports) and still get a RAW file with a large/fine JPEG embedded. It was like getting a new camera without the expense. <grin> My opinion is to do it. If you don't like it, you can always reinstall the old firmware (be sure to keep a copy on your computer somewhere).

If you'd like more info, there's a Yahoo group that I belong to just for Canon hacks. Look for "Canon Digicam Hacking." They have the hacked files there along with installation instructions.

FWIW, I was nervous as heck uploading the hacked firmware. I had visions of the camera exploding or something. <grin> But it was easy to do and I've never regretted it.

Donna

macgyver

Firmware for 300D
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 03:19:20 pm »

I just spent my camera budget for a long long time on a new lens....so new camera is a bit in the distance.

I'm thinking I might try it, but really, all I want is the ISO 3200.  I shoot a lot in bad light.  How does 3200 from the Rebel look?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Firmware for 300D
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 11:59:35 am »

I've been running it since the first week - no problems, works great, free!

macgyver

Firmware for 300D
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 05:35:37 pm »

Does anyone here know anything about the reliability of any of the several firmware modifications avalible for the Canon 300D?  I've been reading about several different firmware hacks that open up some of the restricted features of the rebel, but I'm wary of doing something like that to my camera.  Mr. Reichmann referred to some of these modifications, but really didnt elaborate about them.  Any advice would be welcome, thanks guys.

Firmware for 300D
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:06:49 am »

I - personally - wouldn't bother. The 350D will give you much more and in a much more convenient way, albeit at a higher price.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

shootergirl

Firmware for 300D
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 09:18:58 am »

I - personally - wouldn't bother. The 350D will give you much more and in a much more convenient way, albeit at a higher price.

I'd rather save my money now to put toward whatever replaces the 20D in a year or two and use the hacked firmware (which is free). But of course at the rate that things are changing, there will probably be a 20D replacement by Christmas! <grin>

Donna

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Firmware for 300D
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 03:34:14 pm »

I just spent my camera budget for a long long time on a new lens....so new camera is a bit in the distance.

I'm thinking I might try it, but really, all I want is the ISO 3200.  I shoot a lot in bad light.  How does 3200 from the Rebel look?
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b
Pages: [1]   Go Up