Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will we see softproofing and sharpening?  (Read 3819 times)

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
Will we see softproofing and sharpening?
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:14:43 pm »

I made the mistake of upgrading to Leopard before I realized that it would render Photoshop CS useless.   At first it didn't bother me, expecting that Adobe would soon release a patch putting me back in business.

I now know that it's dead forever.

I had been thinking about getting Jeff's sharpening software as a plug-in for CS, now that's on the back burner.

I have been experiencing some issues with Lightroom when printing - the colors have a red cast to them at times.  I know that I've correctly installed the drivers (Epson 2200) and having watched the Lightroom video tutorial on print setup several times, I'm certain that I've correctly configured the print settings.  My monitor is calibrated.

I never switch the rendering methods - never knew that there was such an animal until watching the video.....anyways....

I'm not satisfied with the quality of my prints.  Color is the primary issue, followed by sharpness.

I'd like to wait for Lightroom to catch up as it's pretty clear that these are two areas where we would all expect improvement.    Problem is I won't live forever.

What can I do in the meantime to improve my images (short of buying the new PS)?  I'm even at a larger disadvantage as I purchased the entire CS suite at that time and find that PS is the application I use the most by a wide margin.  Adobe would allow me to upgrade just one application.

Will Lightroom 2.0 be released before June 08?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:47:32 pm »

Will Lightroom 2.0 be released before June 08?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anybody who knows, can't say...anybody who says, can't know.

As far as your 2200 under Leopard, well, that's gonna be a problem because the 2200 doesn't have a fully Leopard compatible driver and the odds are, Epson won't rev it because it's too old.

At this point, you've got a pretty serious mismatch of technology...you're running a WAY OLD version of Photoshop and a really old printer and yet you've updated to the most recent OS. You were bound to get bitten by compatibility issues...and you really should consider downgrading back to Tiger until such time that you have the time & money to upgrade Photoshop and your printer to current offerings.

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »

Thanks Jeff.  Is it really the technology that I'm using?  I do feel a bit better knowing that it's not user error.

I'm more than willing to upgrade my printer if that will solve the problem.  I'm somewhat inclined to purchase PS3 for what it offers over Lightroom but I hesitate as I feel that LR accomplishes almost all of what I need to do most of the time.  With it being non-destructive editing my feeling was I could wait for PS4 and do the layer stuff at a later time.

Adobe is also creating some confusion with their new push to break PS into several niche products.  I assumed that LR would be their photography vehicle with enhancements that added in nearly all of the necessary functionality found in PS.  This is also factoring into my hesitation to upgrade PS.

Then there is that Lightroom tutorial where you and Mike nudge each other about the future upgrades.  That was what, six months ago?  I guess as an application matures it gets more difficult to keep the code functioning and time lines increase.  LR went from Alpha to Beta1-4 to V1 in how long?  This current version has to be long in the tooth and due an grade soon.

NDA SmenDA.  How many beers does it take before you really talk?    

I guess I need a printer recommendation too.  Photography is just a hobby for me so print volume will not be a concern.  Quality is key.  Is there a pro-sumer model that may fit the ticket?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Marlyn

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 04:29:40 pm »

Thanks Jeff.  Is it really the technology that I'm using?  I do feel a bit better knowing that it's not user error.

I'm more than willing to upgrade my printer if that will solve the problem.  I'm somewhat inclined to purchase PS3 for what it offers over Lightroom but I hesitate as I feel that LR accomplishes almost all of what I need to do most of the time.  With it being non-destructive editing my feeling was I could wait for PS4 and do the layer stuff at a later time.

Adobe is also creating some confusion with their new push to break PS into several niche products.  I assumed that LR would be their photography vehicle with enhancements that added in nearly all of the necessary functionality found in PS.  This is also factoring into my hesitation to upgrade PS.

Then there is that Lightroom tutorial where you and Mike nudge each other about the future upgrades.  That was what, six months ago?  I guess as an application matures it gets more difficult to keep the code functioning and time lines increase.  LR went from Alpha to Beta1-4 to V1 in how long?  This current version has to be long in the tooth and due an grade soon.

NDA SmenDA.  How many beers does it take before you really talk?    

I guess I need a printer recommendation too.  Photography is just a hobby for me so print volume will not be a concern.  Quality is key.  Is there a pro-sumer model that may fit the ticket?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

On the Printer.  Hard without knowing your budget, but I'd highly recomend the Epson 3800  (Yes it costs more than the 2400, but  as has been pointed out before the difference in cost over the 2400 is basically the amount of Ink in it).

K3 ink set, A2, Small footprint (as can be for an A2 printer), fairly light (one person can easily move it), desktop, 80ml Ink cartridges etc etc.   Quality is superb, but not a roll printer.  

It does have the 'black swap' when going between Photo and Matte, HOWEVER, both cartridges are in the printer full time, and it only uses a tiny amount of Ink to do the swap, which is automatic.  (about $2 worth I think).

I have one, love it.

Regards

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up