Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Canvas on Z3100  (Read 3129 times)

wsolum

Cutting Canvas on Z3100
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:13:26 pm »

I used to print canvas on my Espon 2200 all the time and I'm used to having to manually cut it.  With the 2200, the printer will mark a 1 pixel wide line straight across the page width after the print to aid cutting with scissors.

Today I'm using canvas for the first time on my Z3100 and I expect to have to manually cut it but I haven't found any instruction in the manual.  Is there a way to get the printer to mark a straight line so I can cut it or do I have to unload the paper after each print and cut it with a T-Square?

Thanks,
Wayne

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Cutting Canvas on Z3100
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:47:58 pm »

The usual method is to press "paper advance and cut" three times then run a scalpel or xacto knife across the canvas at the edge of the output tray where there's a little notch and a metal ledge.  The knife rides across this notch fairly reliably for a reasonably square cut, although you still need to pay attention and pull a little tension to make it cut cleanly.  Then release the feed lever on the left and manually roll the canvas back up until it's under the front rollers and drop the feed lever again.

I generally print all of my canvas jobs at once on a big spool and then cut just once as above, and then trim them out with a very large trimmer (such as a Dahle rotary) for neat and square.

walter.sk

Cutting Canvas on Z3100
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:37 am »

The usual method is to press "paper advance and cut" three times then run a scalpel or xacto knife across the canvas at the edge of the output tray where there's a little notch and a metal ledge. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't locate the notch and metal ledge.  Is it where the silver colored front of the printer meets the gray horisontal piece on which the blue line is screened? If so, it looks as if it could easily be scratched or damaged by passing a blade through it.  Or is it hidden by the printer's cover,  which would then have to be lifted to access it?

namartinnz

Cutting Canvas on Z3100
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:04:21 pm »

I use Qimage for all my canvas and photo printing. One printing option is to make a border line around the edges of the print . Once the print is complete, I lift the leaver, pull the canvas out then just cut along the line with scissors. I then roll the canvas back up to the edge, the Z3100 performs a routine to make sure the canvas is aligned, then it's good to go.

Neal

Frank Remar

Cutting Canvas on Z3100
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 10:09:50 am »

Last summer Geoff Wittig pointed out that there is a cutting slot on the back of the door that accesses the single sheet tray.  I have been using this slot ever since with Black & Decker electric scissors.  Lift the paper release lever and roll the canvas back on to the spindle, then drape the canvas over the top of the printer.  The bottom stationary blade of the scissors fits perfectly into the slot and cuts the canvas like a hot knife through butter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up