Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds MarkIII + EOS Utility + Lightroom= Crash  (Read 3929 times)

mborosch

1Ds MarkIII + EOS Utility + Lightroom= Crash
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:33:47 am »

1Ds Mark III + Teathered + EOS Utility + Lightroom = CRASH

I picked up my 1Ds Mark III on Monday got it home test it out and everything seemed to work just fine including teathering the camera to the MacBook Pro.  Tonight I wanted to test out a couple other features and really check the files out.  However I ran into some problems.

First thing I noticed was as soon as the shutter was fired and the image transfers to the computer you get a new window “Quick Preview” and it’s just that a quick preview of the image.  If you close the quick preview it does not come back the next time you fire the camera.  

However if you have Lightroom running and set up to watch a folder and then automatically move the images to another folder (which is required in LR) and the Canon Quick Preview comes up, it will lock the camera up and the blue download status bar stays blue.  The next time you fire the shutter you see a Busy symbol with a yellow triangle and an explanation mark in the camera software window.  You will no longer be able to download or teather more images.

If this does happen I’ve either had to quit or force quit all applications, disconnect the camera and then restart EOS Utility (Leaving lightroom closed) fire the shutter with EOS utility and let the Quick Preview come up then close the quick preview and finally restart Lightroom.

In my opinion it’s that Quick Preview and Lightroom that are conflicting.  Quick Preview is trying to show you the file and Lightroom is trying to move the file to a new folder.  The EOS Utility does have preferences for “Linked Software” I even changed that to “None” and still the same problem.  

I’m going to call Canon again tomorrow to go over this in more detail now that I’ve found out exactly what causes it and how to work around it, but in my opinion this is a bug and we should be able to turn that Quick Preview Off.  

Thanks
Mark

mborosch

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:41:11 pm »

To answer a couple questions I received:

Question:
What computer are you using ? what Mac OS ? did you use the software that came with the 1ds Mark III or did you download/install the latest updates on Canon web site ? Are you using a USB extension cord ?

Answer:
I'm using a 15inch MacBook Pro 2.1 GHz processor with 2 gigs of memory Mac OSX 10.4.11.  I'm using the software that came with the camera and since it was just released in the past week and half the software should be current and I did not see anything new updates on the Canon website.  The only way to teather the camera is with USB.

Question:
Make sure that you've linked software turned off in EOS Utility.

Answer:
Linked software was turned off.  I even tried turning it on and then off.  I even tried linking Lightroom, but that just brought up the import dialog box and wanted to import every time I fired the shutter instead of just auto importing.

I still really feel that the conflict is with the Quick Preview and Lightroom trying to move that file while Quick Preview is up.

jeremydillon

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:20:04 pm »

This works fine on my old capture pc (pentium 4, 1gb ram!!) ... takes about 5 seconds to show me a preview in lightroom though.

flashfredrikson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:09:21 am »

Hi Mark,
just tried the exact same setup on a Mac Pro 4x3 Ghz and this problem did not occur. I only used the Eos Utility running in the background, every capture came into lightroom perfectly, the Quick Preview window doesn't pop up (i guess i switched it of once in the eos utility camera control window).
But hell it is slow compared to C1 and a phase back or a mk II.
I know this won't help you at all, but i think the conflict is somewhere else.

I will try it again on my MacBook Pro 2.0 and come back here.

cheers,
martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up