Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website Video Player  (Read 11820 times)

wilburdl

• http://darnellwilburn.com
Website Video Player
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »

Just curious if anybody is putting video on their website and if so what program are you using. It seems as if, even though video is the next big thing on the web, there aren't that many programs that caters to them (at least not in my search). The one I've come across that seems most promising is http://www.wimpyplayer.com/ But I would like to get more input before I make a purchase.
Darnell
Editorial Photographer | Cartoon

airchinapilot

Website Video Player
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:28:39 pm »

Just curious if anybody is putting video on their website and if so what program are you using. It seems as if, even though video is the next big thing on the web, there aren't that many programs that caters to them (at least not in my search). The one I've come across that seems most promising is http://www.wimpyplayer.com/ But I would like to get more input before I make a purchase.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is your application?

YouTube is the easiest way, but then you are sharing your video with everyone and you deal with YouTube's crappy one-size fits all compression.

I work for a company that has a Java video player but it isn't for everyone. We aim it mostly for companies that want to protect their content.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Website Video Player
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:23:49 pm »

It all depends on your very specific needs - what size, quality, bandwidth, target market, etc.?

GregW

• http://
Website Video Player
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 06:47:46 pm »

I edit raw sequences with Apples Final Cut and prepare it for distribution with Quicktime Pro.  Files can be optimized for download or streaming depending on your own requirements.  As it's a stable product it's well supported by most hosts, browsers and client computers.  

If you are looking to host elsewhere and embed in to your site e.g. YouTube you could look in to http://revver.com/ I use a site which has just switched to this service because it offers much higher quality files; which as a user I really appreciate.  I can't comment on how good it is for content creators as I host my own content but it may be worth a look.

wilburdl

Website Video Player
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:41:25 pm »

I'm interested in posting some behind the scenes footage on my site and thought it be another way of familiarizing myself to potential clients. I was looking for something clean and simple--no branding.
Darnell

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Website Video Player
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:41:59 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=158534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Darnell,

Firstly, I enjoyed viewing your website.  I really like the design and you show a lot of really strong work!

I have some questions for you:

Do you know how to add / design web pages for your site?  Or did someone else design and build the site for you?

Are you familiar with video editing software such as Apple's final cut pro?

I've built my own website using Adobe Go Live software and it's pretty easy to add video to a web page using this.  I'm sure there are other more modern tools to do this as well. Simply put, one creates a quicktime (if you'd like to use quicktime) video compressed for web streaming and just place it in a web page. It's pretty easy once you're familiar with the page design software.

You can check out my site if you'd like to see the size and quality of the videos. Some were made a while ago and are of lower quality playback while most of the videos at the top of the page use H.264 compression which looks pretty good.  www.brucealangreene.com

It seems to me that since you're hosting your own site, you don't need to go the utube route and can just create a page to show your videos.

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

wilburdl

Website Video Player
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »

Thank you. I designed/built my site myself and have redesigned and refined it over the years. I like designing it, it's the putting it together and making it work that I don't care for though.

I'm just getting into video--so I'm very much a novice (as in iMovie). I can post the video but I don't know how to implement the controls (play, volume, stop) to make it truly functional. If I was to encode the video as a quicktime movie I wouldn't have to worry about creating/buying a player?
You're videos look great. Is it because of the new Flash update?

Darnell,

Firstly, I enjoyed viewing your website.  I really like the design and you show a lot of really strong work!

I have some questions for you:

Do you know how to add / design web pages for your site?  Or did someone else design and build the site for you?

Are you familiar with video editing software such as Apple's final cut pro?
I've built my own website using Adobe Go Live software and it's pretty easy to add video to a web page using this.  I'm sure there are other more modern tools to do this as well. Simply put, one creates a quicktime (if you'd like to use quicktime) video compressed for web streaming and just place it in a web page. It's pretty easy once you're familiar with the page design software.

You can check out my site if you'd like to see the size and quality of the videos. Some were made a while ago and are of lower quality playback while most of the videos at the top of the page use H.264 compression which looks pretty good.  www.brucealangreene.com

It seems to me that since you're hosting your own site, you don't need to go the utube route and can just create a page to show your videos.

-bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Darnell

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Website Video Player
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 02:04:38 am »

Thank you. I designed/built my site myself and have redesigned and refined it over the years. I like designing it, it's the putting it together and making it work that I don't care for though.

I'm just getting into video--so I'm very much a novice (as in iMovie). I can post the video but I don't know how to implement the controls (play, volume, stop) to make it truly functional. If I was to encode the video as a quicktime movie I wouldn't have to worry about creating/buying a player?
You're videos look great. Is it because of the new Flash update?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, I think you're in good shape.

If you place the quicktime in your layout, you won't need to build a player, but the viewer will need to have the free apple quicktime player installed. I think most who want to video on the web will have done that. Some people put a link to the quicktime download page on the apple web site to help those who haven't yet installed the free player.

iMovie should be good enough for basic video editing, but I'm not sure about making the web compression in iMovie itself. You may need to buy (actually activate) quicktime pro. I think you pay $30 on the apple website for a password to activate quicktime pro.

Once you've done this, export your iMovie clip as quicktime self contained file.  Open the file in quicktime and "export" using "quicktime conversion".

In the options choose H.264 compression and in the later options, limit the data rate to 800kbs.
For audio use AAC compression so that the audio doesn't take up too much bandwidth.

Let us know how it works out.

Oh, and my videos are in the quicktime format, not flash. I think you'll need special software to create flash videos, but almost everyone has a flash player...

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

wilburdl

Website Video Player
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:37:58 am »

I mentioned Flash (player-version 9) is supposed to support the H.264 format. So theoretically Quicktime should works as long as they've updated.

Good to know I won't need to build a player. I do have Quicktime pro and Vhub (very easy to use--converts to multiple formats) so that won't be hard to do at all. I would have never thought that being a photographer would mean I'd eventually be learning web design, video, and even some audio. Thanks again.

Ok, I think you're in good shape.

If you place the quicktime in your layout, you won't need to build a player, but the viewer will need to have the free apple quicktime player installed. I think most who want to video on the web will have done that. Some people put a link to the quicktime download page on the apple web site to help those who haven't yet installed the free player.

iMovie should be good enough for basic video editing, but I'm not sure about making the web compression in iMovie itself. You may need to buy (actually activate) quicktime pro. I think you pay $30 on the apple website for a password to activate quicktime pro.

Once you've done this, export your iMovie clip as quicktime self contained file.  Open the file in quicktime and "export" using "quicktime conversion".

In the options choose H.264 compression and in the later options, limit the data rate to 800kbs.
For audio use AAC compression so that the audio doesn't take up too much bandwidth.

Let us know how it works out.

Oh, and my videos are in the quicktime format, not flash. I think you'll need special software to create flash videos, but almost everyone has a flash player...

-bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=159628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Darnell
Pages: [1]   Go Up