Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC 2170 vs 1990 monitors  (Read 2093 times)

cn15

NEC 2170 vs 1990 monitors
« on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:13 pm »

My budget for a new monitor is around $600 usd and 2 monitors come to mind:  NEC 2170nx and 1990uxi, both cost about the same.  I am an amateur photographer and don't need the finest in color reproduction.  The size difference between 19" and 21" is not a big deal to me either although I would prefer the 21 incher if I am not giving up too much in IQ.  I have a Spyder2 Express calibrator and plan on using it for one of these monitors.  The NEC 2190 looks very nice but out of my range.

Is there a significant difference in image quality between these 2 monitors?  Are there other monitors in the same price range that would outperform these NECs?  Thanks.
Chuong

routlaw

• http://www.roboutlawphotography.com
NEC 2170 vs 1990 monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:40:12 pm »

I have the 2190uxi and can tell it is by far the best monitor I have experienced, and have compared it to the ACD's and spent sometime with another fellow who owned the Eizo CG210 at almost twice the price at the time. We both concluded the NEC 2190 to be better. From what I understand the xx70 series while still a good monitor is just not in the same league as the xx90 series nor was it intended to be. The 90 series uses the S-IPS type of panel but the 70 I would guess might not. Also I was told by the Tech Reps at NEC the 19 and 20 inch versions of the 90 series use a LG Phillips panel, while the 2190 uses NEC's own proprietary panel that supposedly is of a higher standard. Still I have no doubt you would be very content with the 1990 if you can get by the smaller screen size. I have heard some good things also regarding some Samsung monitors but do not which model numbers to tell you to look for.

Hope this helps
Pages: [1]   Go Up