Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List of flaws and needed revisions to version 1.3  (Read 1522 times)

marty m

• http://
List of flaws and needed revisions to version 1.3
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:07:11 am »

We had a good thread going on version 1.0, but I suspect that many of the issues listed in that thread have already been resolved in versions 1.1 to 1.3.

So I thought it might be useful to start another thread on what we'd like to see in version 1.4 to 2.0.  I already posted these suggestions in another thread, and apologize for double posting here, but did so to just a get a thread going on improvements that are still needed in 1.3

(1)  Output sharpening.  Maybe Photokit Sharpening for Lightroom is right around the corner?   Lightroom has no ability to do output sharpening, at least not on a serious level.  Everyone who uses Lightroom would buy the product.  If Pixelgenius doesn't do it, how about all of the other software developers?  There is a serious market for such a product.

(2)  Get rid of the really dumb import limit under which images cannot exceed 10,000 pixels in any dimension.  Geez, I'm just an amateur, but I have panos that exceed that.  Panos are a hot topic and a growth area for photography.  Lightroom has to be able to handle long panos that can often exceed that limitation, such as only three 1Ds files stitched together.  Maybe it means that a full preview is not possible.  But why not allow imports of completed tiffs, and then show them using thumbnails?  Then those files could at least be catalogued and printed from Lightroom.  This is a really dumb design decision that basically means that a complete catalogue is not possible within Lightroom.  It is the equivalent of the NY Public Library banning books exceeding a given page length.  This has to be one of the really dumb, self-inflicted, Achilles heels of Lightroom.  

(3)  Soft proofing.

(4)  Lightroom should import WAV files created on Canon Pro bodies, and be able to play them back when the shots are reviewed, rather than throwing them away and failing to import them.  LATER EDIT -- LR now does so in version 1.1  The audio files are shown in metadata and can be played by clicking on the action in metadata.  Adobe made this change but didn't tell anyone!  It would be nice if audio icons appeared on the shots, in the grid view, identifying which shots have the audio files.  That is how Photo Mechanic and other programs identify the shots with WAV files.  They are then easier to spot when reviewing lots of shots in the grid view, rather than having to carefully watch the metadata for every shot to see when the reference to wav files pops up.  

(5)  Better noise reduction.  Another need that could be addressed by Noise Ninja or Noiseware.  Competition is a great thing.  Which one will address this need first, and gain a huge jump on the competition?

As matters now stand, I am forced to use 5 programs whereas with the above I would only use one.  (The five are Photo Mechanic for imports and first review of shots due to wav files; Lightroom; Photoshop; and sharpening and noise reduction plug-ins.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:47:18 am by marty m »
Pages: [1]   Go Up