Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please critique my photography website  (Read 6674 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Please critique my photography website
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:24:02 pm »

I've had my website up for quite a few months now, and think it's getting ready for prime time.

The goal is to put the images first, to have a minimalistic presentation while hopefully adding some value with limited commentary - please note the Panoramio links which show a map of where most photos were taken!

I chose big thumbnails to put the images as the focal point, and put all the secondary stuff to the periphery at the bottom. I moved recently from a deeper hierarchy to a flatter one. The problem is that the portrait pages are now bunched up with travel photography, and I'm trying to figure out how to best separate them as I plan to do more non-travel photography in the future based on my interests and the positive feedback I've received.

Please let me know what I can do to make the site better. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

http://www.harrijahkola.com/

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:26:21 pm »

I've had my website up for quite a few months now, and think it's getting ready for prime time.

The goal is to put the images first, to have a minimalistic presentation while hopefully adding some value with limited commentary - please note the Panoramio links which show a map of where most photos were taken!

Please let me know what I can do to make the site better. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

http://www.harrijahkola.com/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154492\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It loads quickly and navigates well. It's clear.

However, on my PowerBook G4 15", about a quarter of the window is completely wasted by your logo at the top of every page. This means I have to scroll vertically to see the lower images, which is irritating and unnecessary.

It would be nice if the left and right arrow keys worked in the galleries as well.

My view, FWIW.

Jeremy

PS: the photos aren't too bad, either...

feppe

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:00:53 pm »

It loads quickly and navigates well. It's clear.

However, on my PowerBook G4 15", about a quarter of the window is completely wasted by your logo at the top of every page. This means I have to scroll vertically to see the lower images, which is irritating and unnecessary.

It would be nice if the left and right arrow keys worked in the galleries as well.

My view, FWIW.

Jeremy

PS: the photos aren't too bad, either...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I'm gonna change the logo some time in the future.

The left and right arrows are for some reason a bit messed up. They kinda work in FF, but only on the second click. Haven't tried with Safari.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:01:48 pm »

Great Photos!  Nice site, but I completely agree on the banner taking up too much space.  It makes scrolling necessary to see every image.  Make it as thin as you can.

I  find the image of the woman holding the hawk to be fantastic!  Great work!
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:05:57 am »

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I'm gonna change the logo some time in the future.

The left and right arrows are for some reason a bit messed up. They kinda work in FF, but only on the second click. Haven't tried with Safari.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154523\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I was using Safari, v3 under Leopard. They didn't work at all.

Jeremy

feppe

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:52:52 pm »

I made a smaller banner which will hopefully make seeing the photos easier.

I was using Safari, v3 under Leopard. They didn't work at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Safari 3 beta for PCs works fine with the arrows  Strange. I don't have a Mac so I can't test it further.

A new bug I noticed is that IE renders the About and Prints pages entirely in underlined font - works fine in FF and PC Safari. I searched for this "feature" online and found quite a few sources which acknowledge this as a CSS bug in IE. The only thing is that none of those sources could explain to me in plain English how to fix it - I hardly know what CSS is. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:50:10 pm »

Hi

I read with interest your "You set the price" theory. I'd be very interested to know how this is working. I dabbled around with this idea a little bit and although I really like the concept my impression was that the majority of the consumers found the prospect of deciding apon an "added value" daunting and therefore didn't bother purchasing at all.

Many Regards
Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h
Pages: [1]   Go Up