Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 500 Shots in Madagascar  (Read 5452 times)

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
500 Shots in Madagascar
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:53:06 pm »

Edit: meant 5000 shots...
----

Hello Michael,

Much thanks for the writing of Madagascar. Sounds like really nice place for travels and photo   .

My own experience has been that when upgrading to DSLR from SLR I was snapping too much, and yielding lower success ratio than slides in SLR (although DSLR made me learn more of imaging due processing in computer). Being new to medium format this year (Mamiya 7II and ZD) I find myself plan my shots more and get higher success ratio than 35mm slides. This makes me feel I have improved my shooting, and likewise it has resulted in less time in computer for processing. These are some of reasons why I enjoy medium format. I guess it has made me see better.

You have substantial experience of both DSLRs and DMFBs. With that I note your shooting of 5000 photos in just two weeks. What is your experience as far as success ratio between DSLRs and DMFBs? Would you have likewise been happy to have made that trip with a DMFB, or something like the Mamiya ZD camera? How about slide film in a medium format camera, either AF645 or 6x7 rangefinder? In what ways would your images have differed?

I enjoy photography on travels and when living in different countries, both landscape and people living traditional lives (e.g. China, Africa, Vietnam, Cambodia), so it is much interesting to hear your view.

Thanks  

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:57:50 pm by Anders_HK »

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
500 Shots in Madagascar
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:48:10 am »

Well, I would not want to put words into Michael's mouth for him, but I think his frequent use of the phrase 'horses for courses' pretty well covers it. A DSLR is unquestionably more versatile and far better adapted to experimentation than a MFB based system. With the latter, you are obliged to work at a slower rate and so your ratio of keepers to duds is certain to increase. At the end of the day, does the ratio really matter, apart from the fact that it seems to increase your time spent in front of the computer? Surely, you want your peers to judge the quality of your photography on the basis of the results you choose to show them, not on the contents of your unedited flash cards?
Anyway, that is my 2p for you to read if and when you might get an answer from the horse's mouth itself(!)
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

mahleu

• 500px
500 Shots in Madagascar
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:18:36 am »

5000 shots in 14 days makes 357 a day, or 10 rolls of 36 from 35mm.

It seems like a lot until you consider that

-it was a photographic trip, this is what he did for 2 weeks
-Madagascar is an amazing country
-It doesn't cost anything to shoot a lot on a dslr
-He had to create a review and only had the camera for for a limited period.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
500 Shots in Madagascar
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:46:49 pm »

5000 shots in 14 days makes 357 a day, or 10 rolls of 36 from 35mm.

It seems like a lot until you consider that

-it was a photographic trip, this is what he did for 2 weeks
-Madagascar is an amazing country
-It doesn't cost anything to shoot a lot on a dslr
-He had to create a review and only had the camera for for a limited period.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=154362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Schewe shot like that many per DAY in Antarctica, lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up