Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Profile Size  (Read 2258 times)

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
Color Profile Size
« on: November 08, 2007, 02:38:26 pm »

The other day was was wondering why my jpg cmyk files where bigger than usual and it was obiously because of one profile a printer send me "ISOcoated_v2_300_eci" , what bothers me is that the file size of the files grow considerably, lets say for example the same file saved with pgotoshop's Fogra 27, weights 1,18Mb, and with the other 2,47Mb, it may sound like a small amount but when you are sending 2000 photos across internet it makes a difference.

So basically the icc file weights 1.787kb, is there an easy way to remove non necessary information from the profile (in case there is something unecessary)?

Arnau.
---------------------------------------

papa v2.0

Color Profile Size
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 08:34:35 am »

Hi i tried posting but it disappeared

anyhoo here goes again

Not really in answer to your question

In producing a cmyk profile the profile is made from a target such as the IT8.7-3 (see attached)

and the data is stored as two 3d Lookup tables
one for the forward transform from PSC (profile connection space, usually XYZ) to output space CMYK (A to B tag) and one for the reverse transform from device space CMYK to PCS (B to A tag)

these look-up tables contain the colormetric measurements of each of the patches in the test chart.
this make the profile large unfortunately

smaller charts are available but not as accurate in the transforms.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:35:55 am by papa v2.0 »

bjanes

Color Profile Size
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:50:08 am »

The other day was was wondering why my jpg cmyk files where bigger than usual and it was obiously because of one profile a printer send me "ISOcoated_v2_300_eci" , what bothers me is that the file size of the files grow considerably, lets say for example the same file saved with pgotoshop's Fogra 27, weights 1,18Mb, and with the other 2,47Mb, it may sound like a small amount but when you are sending 2000 photos across internet it makes a difference.

So basically the icc file weights 1.787kb, is there an easy way to remove non necessary information from the profile (in case there is something unecessary)?

Arnau.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you are sending a large number of files, there is no law that says the large profiles need to be saved with the file. You could save the files as untagged and send the profile separately. The recipient would then have to assign (not convert) the profile to the file.

Bill

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Color Profile Size
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 09:33:05 am »

If you are sending a large number of files, there is no law that says the large profiles need to be saved with the file. You could save the files as untagged and send the profile separately. The recipient would then have to assign (not convert) the profile to the file.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=152391\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. And since CMYK in this case is being used, its an output color space, we have to assume the numbers will be sent to this device 'as is' meaning there's no real reason to have an embedded profile. Embedded profiles are absolutely necessary to view and edit images. But in this case, we assume that's not going to happen. Strip out the profiles, maybe send the profile with the job separately so someone could embed it if necessary and maybe write a not explaining this.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pantoned

• http://www.arnauanglada.com/
Color Profile Size
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:46:20 pm »

Thanks for your replies, I think it is a good idea to leave the 80% of the photos that I think won't need to be retouched untagged and the other ones with profiles. Expecting the agencies or design studios to assign profiles later is too much, they have too many other things to think about. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Arnau
---------------------------------------
Pages: [1]   Go Up