Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what to use with canon 500mm  (Read 3137 times)

paullantz

• http://www.lantz.ca OR http://paullantz.com
what to use with canon 500mm
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:18:10 am »

I am thinking about getting a 500 mm lens. So far I have done bird pictures with the 100-400 and the 400mm 5.6. I use a 40D and a 1D Mark IIN. With those lens I am mainly using them hand held.

I would like to get a longer lens and probably would get the 500mm f4

Some people mention using it for a bit of handheld work but it sounds too heavy to do that for very long. I am interested in getting a tripod and appropriate mounting.

What do people use? I have looked at the Wimberley but get a little confused about exactly which bits and pieces (plates and bushings) I would need. For a tripod, there are lots of suggestions, some of which I cannot find online in Canada.

I live a long way from a camera store so I order online. This means that I dont have a chance to see things first so appreciate comments from people who are using this lens.

thanks

I am 5 7 tall.

scubarob639

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:12:11 pm »

I use a 500F4 and 1Dmkll.  It's a bear to handhold, but I have got a few good shots that way.  Normally I use a Gitzo monopod, or better yet a 1300 series Gitzo with a Whimberly V2 gimble mount.  The tripod works the best, but it's a pain to carry around.

Rob

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:00:40 pm »

Hand held   your name must be Hercules.  I have it mounted to something all the time.

Birds with 2x  

Also did butterflies with a wimberly sidekick/flash with 2x  mounted to my 4 wheeler (looked like a gun turet)   I drove around our field till I came close to a butterly, jumped off and aimed and shot   I got a couple out of 500 shots.

I also shoot from window with bean bag and window attachment at times.

Great lens

BobShram

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:45:22 pm »

I use a 1D mk2 and a 600mm for birding there is no way I can hand hold and get a half way good photo, and I am fairly heavy duty! I would think the 500 would pose the same problems. Weight is a good part of the problem, but zeroing in on a moving bird quickly is tricky unless you are well fit. With a 100-400 you can pick up the bird at the wide end and zoom in.

I use a Gitzo GT5530S which is a 3 section leg model, it is more stable than the 4 section model though it does not extend as high. My head is a Wimberly Version 2. You should not use a tripod with a center colum and a wimberly.

I am 5'7" and only when I following birds moving up and down a lot do I miss the extra hight of a 4 section tripod. The stability makes up for the extra flexability required.

The 500mm I beleive will take a Wimberly P-40 Quick release plate. Though you could also use the longer P-50 plate (which is the same price) which will allow more room to play with.

I have found that using the longer lense has changed the way I have to approach taking photos, It requires more method to get set up and take a photo quickly. How you put the equipment in your car, who is with you. I have a young daughter and a large dog along alot of the time

Hope this is of help.  Bob.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:09:07 pm »

I used to have a 500 with a 1Ds II combo.  I tried it with a 2x converter but soon found that combination just plain sucked.  I got my best images either using it by itself or with a 1.4.  While you can handhold this lens you will soon find out that you’ll get 1 or 2 quick shots before your arms feel like lead.  A very good tripod and Wimberley head is a must.

I had the lens for just short of a year and sold it to pay for a 300 f/2.8 which is simply one of the best lens I’ve had a chance to work with.  Great images with any converter and can be used handheld with little problems.  I’ve had the 300 for close to 2 years now and love it.

You might want to look at the 400 DO.  I have this lens as well and while I’ve only have had it for a couple months and see that it’s a great lens as well.

Do a search here on 300 and 400 lens just to see what else there is besides the very heavy 500.

Don

akclimber

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 06:31:04 pm »

I use a 500 f/4 IS to shoot critters (bears, eagles, etc.) and landscapes.  I use a heavy, 4 section aluminum Gitzo 1346 with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead and Wimberly Sidekick.  I find the tripod, ballhead and Sidekick combo to work very well and to provide a maximum amount of flexibilty.  Since I'm rarely out to shoot just critters, I want to be able to shoot landscapes, etc also, hence the ballhead and Sidekick combo.  A full Wimberly head would be your best bet if you'll be going out just for birds.  While I love the Sidekick, the full head is much nicer to use.  I believe Wimberly will let you try out a piece of gear prior to purchase.  You may want to contact them and explain your situation. About my 4 section tripod, it may be slightly less stable than a 3 section pod but I like the folded compactness and for me, at 5'8", the pod, when all sections are collapsed, is the perfect height for me to use while sitting crossed legged.

The other 2 pieces of gear I find invaluable for shooting critters are a flash and a flash extender (I use a Better Beamer).

Good luck!

I am thinking about getting a 500 mm lens. So far I have done bird pictures with the 100-400 and the 400mm 5.6. I use a 40D and a 1D Mark IIN. With those lens I am mainly using them hand held.

I would like to get a longer lens and probably would get the 500mm f4

Some people mention using it for a bit of handheld work but it sounds too heavy to do that for very long. I am interested in getting a tripod and appropriate mounting.

What do people use? I have looked at the Wimberley but get a little confused about exactly which bits and pieces (plates and bushings) I would need. For a tripod, there are lots of suggestions, some of which I cannot find online in Canada.

I live a long way from a camera store so I order online. This means that I dont have a chance to see things first so appreciate comments from people who are using this lens.

thanks

I am 5 7 tall.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

paullantz

• http://www.lantz.ca OR http://paullantz.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 01:05:23 pm »

I have thought about the 300 f2.8 as well. Sometimes when I am taking picture of large birds (e.g. ravens) that come fairly close 400mm is overkill and I think it would be nice to be able to take close up pictures on overcast days with the larger aperture. Generally I find that focusing is too slow/aperture is too limiting to get a lot of close up shots of birds in flight when they get really close.
I generally do not travel very far to take photographs (as in across the street to the river bank) so weight for carrying is not a big issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up