Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180  (Read 21943 times)

Rob C

HP B9180
« on: October 31, 2007, 03:57:37 pm »

I´ve noticed that there are hardly any posts here regarding the B9180. Is this because A3+ is simply too small a maximum format for these august pages; am I its only user, or are all other owners so delighted with it that they are speachless with wonder?

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:58:09 pm by Rob C »

meyerweb

HP B9180
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 06:49:43 pm »

I´ve noticed that there are hardly any posts here regarding the B9180. Is this because A3+ is simply too small a maximum format for these august pages; am I its only user, or are all other owners so delighted with it that they are speachless with wonder?

I can't tell you why there are so few posts, but I don't think it's your last guess. While researching what A3 size pigment printer to buy, I found too many posts from people who had serious reliability and performance problems with this printer. A number of users were on their 3 or 4th replacement printer, and still having problems.

DarkPenguin

HP B9180
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:50:57 pm »

I use it.  I love it.  It just works.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
HP B9180
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:08 pm »

Hi, I am using a B9180.

I did have some issues with my printer (July 06) and I sent back. I live in rural Canada and this worked OK. I did have fairly significant issues with the telephone support!!!!

The printer works better now and produces fine looking prints, although as this is my first "proper" printer I do not have a reference. However clients are happy with pictures and I have sold a few prints in the $300 range (framed)

My images are generally tripod mounted D2x pictures and I produce print files at 600dpi at the output size, sharpened with Photokit plugin.

I generally use the HP papers, the smooth fine art being a popular choice for both colour and BW, I use the soft sheen too. The gloss produces rich images, but I can notice bronzing on them, although the majority of non photographer folks that I have given test prints too don't notice any problems.

My biggest problem is supplies, I've resorted recently to getting them from the states.

I'd love to use some differnt papers but am unable to produce profiles - Glossy BW and really super glossy colour like Ilfochrom (cibachrome.)

Happy Printing
image examples are at my website  [url=h

DougJ

HP B9180
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 12:33:04 am »

Hi Steven,

Although I'm a Canadian living on the west coast (Sechelt, BC), I bought my B9180 last March in southern California where my wife and I try to spend two to three months in our motorhome each winter.

It works just fine, not withstanding the problems reported on the Yahoo site, as mentioned by meyerweb.  

The problem reporters are, IMHO, a relatively small number of folk, posting many times as they try to arrive at a solution to their problems.  So we might draw the conclusion that there are lots of problem machines out there.  If we knew how many machimes had been sold, that might give us a different perspective on the failure rate of these machines.  

All this reminds me of the headline that read "Ten percent of men in the lumber camp screwing 100% of the women in the camp."  Turns out that there were ten men and one woman in the camp, and the one man and the one woman were married.  Well, it's a story to make my point.

I'm happy with my machine and the people dropping cash to buy my prints love the product.

Ciao,

Doug

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
HP B9180
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 05:06:56 am »

I use it.  I love it.  It just works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here.  
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
HP B9180
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 05:10:24 am »

Rob C
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For what it's worth I have put up my learning with the 9180 [a href=\"http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Equipment/Printer/]here[/url].
It's collection of my own findings and things I have picked up on the net.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 05:10:48 am by ronnynil »
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Rob C

HP B9180
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 05:37:31 am »

For what it's worth I have put up my learning with the 9180 here.
It's collection of my own findings and things I have picked up on the net.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Delighted to hear from you all - I really did start to think that I had an odd take on things, getting that machine!

I´m very happy with it for b/w but do not really get the colours I want from it. My only comparison is with two much cheaper Epsons that I had/have. The first one C82, did quite nicely in colour - not that good in b/w, and that with office chemicals: DuraBrite inks. When it died I replaced it with an even cheaper C66 and its colour is also rather pleasing.

The place that the cheaper units do better is with the warmer tones. I´m thinking here of a set of shots I did on the D200 of parts of a rusting old commercial fishing boat. On Epson, the rust looks good whilst trying to get the HP set to work is getting nowhere - it is printing in a very gingerish sort of way which doesn´t look good at all. Changing that - toning it down a shade, only serves to make the other colours go unpleasant.

Reading here about the larger Hps I gather that there is a problem with the reds - and I have to agree that that is my experience too. I did a series of very out-of-focus flower shots and where the blurred reds are alive on the monitor, they are like bad plums on the print. Yes, I´m well aware of the difference between transmitted and reflected images and I don´t feel it´s a matter of over-expectations.

I´m using Hahnemuehle Photo Rag Bright White on the HP and it was Epson Heavyweight Matt on the Epsons. I have to say, I tried downloading a profile from Hahne (or was it HP?) and that was even worse than the built-in profile for HP Smooth Fine Art that comes with the printer, and which I´m currently using.

It´s little fun gathering this huge pile of test A5s!

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:07:07 am by Rob C »

DarkPenguin

HP B9180
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:44:29 pm »

The epson 3800 (And the canon ipf 5000, too.  After all the price drops.) caused a lot of people to rethink buying a 13" wide printer.  It wasn't a huge jump to 17" so I think a lot of people took that leap.

gcl

HP B9180
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:42:16 pm »

Same here. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Count another happy customer who has never had an issue with the B9180.  It sits right next to my Epson 4800.  I like them both, but when I don't need larger than 13x19, the B9180 gets the call...

merg

• http://
HP B9180
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 09:37:29 am »

I use it.  I love it.  It just works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep, same here. I've only used it with 2 kinds of paper so far (HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art and HP Advanced Photo Paper) and love the prints. So far most of them are B&W on the Hahnemühle.

That's the general issue with a lot of forums on the net, a lot of users go to there if they have problems. If all works well, it goes by without any fuss.
Regards,
Peter Mergaerts

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
HP B9180
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:09:09 pm »

I suppose I'll post more here now on the 9180 as well.
I still have my first production model without any faults at all. Is it because I didn't use it much while doing testing on Z series printers? Perhaps, but all I know is , it is printing as day 1 and the quality of prints as good as I need to make pro prints that sell my photography.
 PS I thought it funny to see someone post from Sechelt where i lived for a year or more!

For better profiles go to the Yahoo 9180 users groups.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
HP B9180
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 12:04:47 am »

I'm *very* happy with my B9180, no problems, very nicely laid out driver.  I bought mine mainly based on 2 reccomendations:

Michael Reichmann's impressions of it in the From Camera to Print Tutorial
and David Saffir's personal impressions of it after a demo of the Hp Z3100

At discount of under $600, i think its a great value.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 12:18:38 am by Joh.Murray »

Pete Kossaras

HP B9180
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 10:03:58 am »

I have had mine for roughly one year, and I think for the money it's hard to beat. I'm trying to decide now on a larger format printer, not sure on what to get between a Z3100 or a 7880.

Pete

gunnar1

HP B9180
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:49 pm »

I'll resurrect this topic now that I'm printing regularly with my 9180. After de-mothballing mine, I had what seemed to be terminal "service stall" messages that drove me crazy. After literally pulling the machine apart, I discovered that the ink dumps had become clogged up and the carriage that they ride in was all gooey and sticky. Suffice to say that a good cleaning of everything, including all four printheads, and it is printing *flawlessly*.

I am using primarily Hahnemule and HP Advanced papers with what I consider truly outstanding results. Perhaps the best feature is the BW printing. On the satin-matt it's great, and on the glossy HP the blacks are about as good as I've ever seen. Count me as a very satisfied 9180 user.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
HP B9180
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:21:32 am »

Me too - I'm really happy with mine.  Best printer I have owned so far.  Excellent hassle free printing.  If HP makes a 17 inch big brother to this, I'll buy that too in a heartbeat.
Rolleiflex USA

DarkPenguin

HP B9180
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 10:52:23 am »

This thing drinks light gray.

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
HP B9180
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 12:31:51 pm »

I have generally been very pleased with the printer. However, i wish it had 2 things - Ability to print panoramas (from spool paper), and gloss enhancer like its big brothers...

But, every time i get a printout from the Harman FB Al - i am just amazed...again and again...like a gold fish with 45 sec memory.
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

DarkPenguin

HP B9180
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 01:09:18 pm »

I've been playing with the harman FB Mp.  Very pleased.  Haven't cracked the seal on the FB AL sample pack yet.

Philip Weber

HP B9180
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »

This thing drinks light gray.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=165004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mine does too but some of the other inks (Magenta, Cyan) last forever. I ordered mine from Amazon and the first two were both bad, which was a real pain given the set up, packing and unpacking but the 3rd time was the proverbial charm and I couldn't be happier with it. The fact that the price went down $100 and a free set of ink between the 1st and the 3rd didn't hurt either!

A slightly larger unit with roll feed would be an immediate purchase for me too!

Phil Weber
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 01:49:37 pm by Philip Weber »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up