Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 driver update question  (Read 5678 times)

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
Z3100 driver update question
« on: October 29, 2007, 09:53:42 am »

Hello,
Is there anyone that can share with me whether or not it is safe to upgrade to the newest z3100 driver (winxp pro)...I'm currently running 61.71.341.0.  I was forced to uninstall the most recent upgrade when I lost the functionality of Color Center.  Did everyone upgrading experience this same problem or was it limited to a few people?  Does anyone know why it happened?

I say all of this because I would like to install the new firmware but I'm concerned that I should be running the latest driver given that some have cautioned against upgrading without an even newer driver release.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Thank you!

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 11:27:37 am »

I think this has been covered to some degree in this thread.

It doesn't appear as though HP has new drivers, just firmware.  Those running the new firmware without new drivers are not reporting problems.

HP, however, hasn't provided much in the way of information or guidance.  We're all just kind of learning as we go.
Regards,
Ron

dhoelscher

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:40:55 am »

It doesn't appear as though HP has new drivers, just firmware.  Those running the new firmware without new drivers are not reporting problems.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps it would be most accurate to say "Windows users running the new firmware without new drivers are not reporting problems."

Just my two cents,

DDH

tharrington

• Light Poet Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:42:01 am »

I think this has been covered to some degree in this thread.

It doesn't appear as though HP has new drivers, just firmware.  Those running the new firmware without new drivers are not reporting problems.

HP, however, hasn't provided much in the way of information or guidance.  We're all just kind of learning as we go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149345\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron, thank you kindly for your response.  The thread that you provided is actually the one that led me to start thinking about all of this again!  I guess you're right about taking the plunge  .  In case this helps anyone else, I asked HP about this question specifically (regarding color center) and they responded by saying that I should uninstall color center before upgrading to the newest driver and that should solve the issue.  Here is there response:
"Our advice to you is, when you upgrade to the latest driver, uninstall your Color Center and reinstall it after upgrading the driver. This will eliminate any issues you have had with it in the past. Also, be sure to download the latest Color Center and drivers from www.designjet.com."

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 12:03:34 pm »

Perhaps it would be most accurate to say "Windows users running the new firmware without new drivers are not reporting problems."

Just my two cents,

DDH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're absolutely correct.  Worth a lot more than two cents.  
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:48:36 pm »

So, is it safe to move to new firmware? I'm thinking of holding off, although I'm dual booting with XP and Vista 64 now and to print, right now I reboot from Vista 64 where I work on my files, to XP to print. Not really necessary, but when I saw the new firmware was on the way, I figured I would wait to completely migrate to Vista 64.

Actually I will never be able to completely migrate because I use a SCSI scanner with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card and there are no 64 bit drivers for it, so I will always have to scan in XP!   And, no, Adaptec doesn't have a equivalent to the 2906 card with 64 bit driver.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 12:49:49 pm by Roscolo »

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:22 pm »

So, is it safe to move to new firmware?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149364\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That depends on your tolerance for risk.  At this time I'd say the sample size is pretty small although encouraging.  If there aren't features in the new firmware that you're anxious to use you may want to wait another week or two to see how its going.
Regards,
Ron

Jon Abbott

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:48:22 am »

Ron, thank you kindly for your response.  The thread that you provided is actually the one that led me to start thinking about all of this again!  I guess you're right about taking the plunge  .  In case this helps anyone else, I asked HP about this question specifically (regarding color center) and they responded by saying that I should uninstall color center before upgrading to the newest driver and that should solve the issue.  Here is there response:
"Our advice to you is, when you upgrade to the latest driver, uninstall your Color Center and reinstall it after upgrading the driver. This will eliminate any issues you have had with it in the past. Also, be sure to download the latest Color Center and drivers from www.designjet.com."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149352\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
!!!Don't upgrade the firmware if you don't have the new HP Printer Utility (v 1.4.0.14)- it replaces Color Center, which is functionally disabled after the update and is a recommended uninstall (although it didn't hurt to leave it installed, it just really didn't do much of anything anymore)!!!

I don't know if your older printer driver software will work with the newer firmware, since I installed a slightly newer version 61.71.841.0, before doing the firmware update using the new Printer Utility. The interface visually appears similar, so the older version may work, but it may have trouble talking to the new Printer Utility, which seems important for passing status and paper updates to the printer driver.

Natermo

• http://www.suncrestdigital.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

Hello,
Is there anyone that can share with me whether or not it is safe to upgrade to the newest z3100 driver (winxp pro)...I'm currently running 61.71.341.0.  I was forced to uninstall the most recent upgrade when I lost the functionality of Color Center.  Did everyone upgrading experience this same problem or was it limited to a few people?  Does anyone know why it happened?

I say all of this because I would like to install the new firmware but I'm concerned that I should be running the latest driver given that some have cautioned against upgrading without an even newer driver release.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Thank you!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Iaccidentally downloaded and installed the xp pro 64 bit version of the driver and then HP printer utility vs Easy printer care.  I installed the HP printer utility without a hitch and the driver seems to work also.  I then uninstalled Easy Printer Care YAY!!!  I am using xp pro 32 bit but all seems good.  I will upgrade to the 6.0.0.7 Firmware next but as of right now, the site will not let me download it.  It says it was not able to locate the firmware?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:37:03 pm by Natermo »

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »

Iaccidentally downloaded and installed the xp pro 64 bit version of the driver and then HP printer utility vs Easy printer care.  I installed the HP printer utility without a hitch and the driver seems to work also.  I then uninstalled Easy Printer Care YAY!!!  I am using xp pro 32 bit but all seems good.  I will upgrade to the 6.0.0.7 Firmware next but as of right now, the site will not let me download it.  It says it was not able to locate the firmware?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For the base Z3100 the firmware is currently unavailable and I'm unable to find new drivers as well.  

HP has obviously withdrawn the new goodies or are attempting to do so.  Too bad they don't communicate better what's going on.
Regards,
Ron

Natermo

• http://www.suncrestdigital.com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 01:08:21 pm »

For the base Z3100 the firmware is currently unavailable and I'm unable to find new drivers as well. 

HP has obviously withdrawn the new goodies or are attempting to do so.  Too bad they don't communicate better what's going on.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149820\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I chose the xp pro 64 bit dropdown option and it gave me download links for 61.71.361.42 and HP Printer utility.
Pages: [1]   Go Up