Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New To LR Advise  (Read 3201 times)

Ludwigia

New To LR Advise
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:01:09 am »

Hi,
I'm very new LR and at the stage where I want to import the thousands of photos that are located in various places all over my computer.  (They're organized in various folders)

I have RAW files in one folder structure and TIFF files in another folder folder structure.

What would people suggest in the way of importing all of these files into LR?  It seems live a very looooong tedious process to bring every file in and tag it with keywords. Took me over an hours just do do my October files from this year and I'm looking at files from the last 4 or 5 years.  

Also are people importing both RAW and Tiff versions (if that's what you use), of their files or just the RAW versions, or what?

Any suggestions on how to make the best of use of LR in this situation?

Thanks.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
New To LR Advise
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:32:06 pm »

You can import from disk and import all the contents from that folder.  Don't remember how it treats xmp files (which, presumably, is where your keywords would be?).  If no xmp I'm pretty sure you'll have to re-keyword.  (I can't imagine your raw files are DNG, but that would have solved the problem as well).

I only bring the RAWs into LR, not the subsequently processed images.

When I need to deal with a final image, Bridge is fine for me.  (I print from Qimage) and use JAlbum for web, but if you want to print from LR our use their gallery functionality, you'll need the tiffs in LR as well (or maybe just new tiffs going forward).

Booswalia

New To LR Advise
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:21:41 pm »

You can import from disk and import all the contents from that folder.  Don't remember how it treats xmp files (which, presumably, is where your keywords would be?).  If no xmp I'm pretty sure you'll have to re-keyword.  (I can't imagine your raw files are DNG, but that would have solved the problem as well).

I only bring the RAWs into LR, not the subsequently processed images.

When I need to deal with a final image, Bridge is fine for me.  (I print from Qimage) and use JAlbum for web, but if you want to print from LR our use their gallery functionality, you'll need the tiffs in LR as well (or maybe just new tiffs going forward).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Tim.  I only print with Qimage as well, so it's good to know that I don't have to import all my "final" images.
I think I will just import all of my RAW files and add keywords as I feel necessary.  It's just too much to go through every image.  I ordered Scott Kelby's book "Lightroom for Digital Photographers" in hopes that it's as helpful as his "PS2 for Digital Photographers".

I'm off to experiment a little for now....

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
New To LR Advise
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:20:56 pm »

Also remember that if you do have to keyword, you can use the 'Painter' tool to paint keywords over similar photos.  Saves having to type them in for every image...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Meerkat

New To LR Advise
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:32:19 pm »

I would also recommend taking the time up-front to create a directory structure on your drive(s) that suits the way you work.

I also had images all over the place. It took me a good weekend's worth of effort to come up with a directory structure that I was happy with. The time that this effort has now saved in being able to quickly find and work on images that I have in Lightroom was worth the pain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up