Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Giant's Causeway's best kept Secret  (Read 2759 times)

amcinroy

The Giant's Causeway's best kept Secret
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:28 am »

This cave is 5 minutes walk from the Causeway visitor centre in Northern Ireland.

No causeway warden will ever tell you where it is (either they don't know or they don't want to be sued if you die). 500,000 visitors a year to the causeway headlands yet only one other photo of this cave exists online.

PM me if you want directions.

I photographed it a couple of weeks ago.

And the old paintings and legends that inspired me to find it.

There is a weird traditional story that Portcoon cave was occupied in the olden times by a gaunt hermit, who retired from the world with a vow that he would spend the remainder of his days on earth in prayer and fasting and that he would never accept food from human hands. Often was he tempted by women swimming in on the flowing tide who offered him food, but without avail. As the cold arms of death were almost clasping him in their last embrace from exhausting hunger a seal came into the cave with food in her mouth. With insinuating graciousness she invited him to partake of the food and live, as she had no human hands to tempt him to eat, and from that moment until his death the seal supplied him with a sufficiency of food for his simple life. A little to the west of Portcoon is runkerry cave.
by Rev. Canon Hugh Forde, M.A., LL.D., T.C.D.

Andy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:39:49 am by amcinroy »
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I
Pages: [1]   Go Up