Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will we ever get bigger sensors....  (Read 7218 times)

jonstewart

Will we ever get bigger sensors....
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:04:54 pm »

Reading a lot of the other threads at the moment, and it strikes me that nobody's asked that question.

We have the Hy6 (by all the brands) coming out, but will we ever have a full size sensor for it? It seems to me that the shrinking sales of MF (particularly with digital backs), as evidenced by Hasselblads apparent marketing strategies to consolidate their sales / customer base, and Phase One's presumable panic at the moment, that any company or companies would have the financial muscle to develop such a sensor.

It seems to me that such a development will have to come from a consortium, and with the market fragmenting in different, and more closed, directions, this seems unlikely.

Any thoughts on the matter would be of interest.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

TechTalk

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:14:01 pm »

Reading a lot of the other threads at the moment, and it strikes me that nobody's asked that question.

We have the Hy6 (by all the brands) coming out, but will we ever have a full size sensor for it? It seems to me that the shrinking sales of MF (particularly with digital backs), as evidenced by Hasselblads apparent marketing strategies to consolidate their sales / customer base, and Phase One's presumable panic at the moment, that any company or companies would have the financial muscle to develop such a sensor.

It seems to me that such a development will have to come from a consortium, and with the market fragmenting in different, and more closed, directions, this seems unlikely.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145624\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
With a current market for less than 10,000 digital back sensors a year split between two different makers (Kodak and Dalsa), your question is a very interesting one.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 08:21:49 pm »

I think it depends on the viability of the camera as a platform.

For >6x4.5-sized medium format SLRs that are current (as in, still in production), the market seems to boil down to two: the Hy6 and the Mamiay RZ 67.  And the RZ is well-known, so I don't expect it to suddenly take the market by storm.

That leaves the Hy6 platform as the big unknown.  If it evolves to become the new Hasselblad V-series, then my guess is that we will eventually see 6x6 sensors.  But if it doesn't do so well, all medium format shooters will be on either 6x45 systems or out-of-production 6x6's.  I think the likelyhood of a 6x6 sensor in that case would be dramatically lower.

Sinar has cited a 48x48mm sensor--whether that is actually in the works or just something that marketing dreamed up to differentiate the Hy6 from the 645 competition, I have no idea.  My guess is that the Hy6 camp would like some differentiating value ASAP from the regular 645 camp, and that the larger sensor is in the works.  A full 56mm x 56mm is probably at least another generation away, at best.  (Sad, for me too, because I would love one as well).

-Brad

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145624\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:39:46 pm »

Well, anyways if someone Up There in larger sensors heaven is listening I would pay $100K for full size back integrated with Rz67 in case if you need beta tester. 35MP is perfect with me.
Andre

SeanBK

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:22:01 pm »

One need not look any further than proliferation of $1 million + exclusive cars. They have a waiting list? Bugatis screens their buyers whether they are worthy, true auto afficianado & their pedigree before they will take $100k + deposit! Audi just introduced their new $118k new car, Porsche is coming up with their $138k Panamera in 2008/9, Range Rover Sport just introduced "Limited" more expensive 14MPG SUV (they are last in JDPowers reliability & probably will be sold by Ford by Dec). There is more demand by the Nouveau riche - the bling crowd than ever. So you can bet the Brand recognition is alive & well. There is an absolute demand for just a handful of extra large sensor camera. And they WILL be scooped by few "special" rockgraphers, while we will be salavating on outside the velvet rope & blaming their business model. That's what my crystal ball shows.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:25:26 pm by SeanBK »

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:05:45 am »

Well, anyways if someone Up There in larger sensors heaven is listening I would pay $100K for full size back integrated with Rz67 in case if you need beta tester. 35MP is perfect with me.
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145643\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may be in luck. Dalsa has already created a 100MP sensor for the military. Anyway, more MPs than you may need but they could probably trim it down to fit in your small Rz67.

David

Caracalla

• http://
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 12:39:01 am »

You may be in luck. Dalsa has already created a 100MP sensor for the military. Anyway, more MPs than you may need but they could probably trim it down to fit in your small Rz67.

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Who would make the housing?

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 01:27:26 am »

Who would make the housing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145655\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Leaf or Sinar, naturally.

jonstewart

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 04:32:06 am »

By then, there might only be one company called Hasselphasamiya. I shouldn't leave out other options, Leafinaramiya, Hasselblolleiphase, Syanarabladaphase. Just having fun.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145652\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ha Ha! Now I laughed at that one!

Personally, I'd be more interested in a 'proper' full frame 645 sensor. I'm thinking more about interior shooting here, where I can do with cropping what the lens can see!
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Michael HG

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 01:20:44 pm »

Did you take into account the lenes?

I talked to a technican of Linos yesterday about the Rodenstock Apo Sironar Digital HR lenses with bigger Image Circles. He told me that lenses with this Resolution and an image circle of  120mm (quad stitch for the 39mpx sensor) would require front and back lenses that doesn't fit into existing large format scale cameras! (I think he took 8 x 10 cameras into account).
Yes this is an extreme example, but think about the BIG lenses you need for bigger sensors with high resolution (6,8 µm pixels). And bigger sensors with lower resolution seems to be a step backward to me.

So if you want to stay in the pixel race you have to join the NASA ;-)

Michael
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:21:16 pm by Michael HG »
Pages: [1]   Go Up