Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is a definition of "cityscape"  (Read 16201 times)

Peter F

What is a definition of "cityscape"
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:40:03 am »

I just joined our local Photo Club and one of the themes for next month's contest is "cityscapes".  This question may seem obvious, but I am new to this.  But is a cityscape merely any photo taken in a city that includes multiple buildings, people, and/or scenery??

I don't currently have a camera with which to go out taking pictures, so am going through my summer pictures for a suitable submission to these fun competitions, when I was lent a Nikon D40.  

Would the following fit the definition... in your opinion?

Peter F

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 08:11:15 am »

I would define cityscape as a landscape taken in an urban environment.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:29 am »

I would define cityscape as a landscape taken in an urban environment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
and the term "landscape" suggests that it was taken outdoors. Same for "cityscape", so your photo fits, IMHO.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

larsrc

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:02:55 pm »

and the term "landscape" suggests that it was taken outdoors. Same for "cityscape", so your photo fits, IMHO.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's a lot more you can take outdoors than landscape pictures.  The OP's photo is to cityscape what a picture of two trees is to landscape, IMHO.  I think of cityscape as something more sweeping.  You wouldn't call a macro photo landscape just because it was taken outdoors, would you?  A search on Google Images for cityscape gives very few images in the same vein as yours.  Of course, the judges are the final arbiters of what's a cityscape and what's not, but having an idea of what's commonly considered a cityscape will help you guess their opinion.

-Lars

walter.sk

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:46:40 am »

I just joined our local Photo Club and one of the themes for next month's contest is "cityscapes".  This question may seem obvious, but I am new to this.  But is a cityscape merely any photo taken in a city that includes multiple buildings, people, and/or scenery??

I don't currently have a camera with which to go out taking pictures, so am going through my summer pictures for a suitable submission to these fun competitions, when I was lent a Nikon D40. 

Would the following fit the definition... in your opinion?

Peter F

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While some judges might accept that as a cityscape, I would lean toward portraying a larger vista as a cityscape.  I do lots of city work, and in my mind, I consider a shot like yours to be more of "street shooting,"  or a type of portrait.

A word about club competitions:  There is a lot to be learned, in terms of how to portray your ideas effectively.  However, two dangers arise:  

1) to take the guidelines for composition as "rules" of how to see and compose your pictures, and to actually judge pictures on their conformity to the rules.  That would disqualify 95% of the photographic art you will see in galleries and museums today.  Take the "rules" as suggestions for consideration.

2)  Concentrate on shooting what you see and are excited about, and doing it better.  However, if you begin to shoot for what would please the judge you can lose your own vision, which should be at the root of developing your own style.

That said, a good photography club can be educational, stimulating and fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up