Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about grey market equipment repair  (Read 3053 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Question about grey market equipment repair
« on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:17 am »

My question is more idle curiosity than anything else. I've often read that one of the reasons for not buying grey market equipment from US mail order houses, for example, is that local Cdn offices won't repair them. I just saw this again in another forum, with respect to Nikon Canada.

I understand why they would not honour warranty on grey market equipment, but why wouldn't they repair a unit? For all they know, the owner may have been living in a different country when they bought the equipment.

Am I attributing too much importance to internet noise?
--
Robert

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:08:47 pm »

My question is more idle curiosity than anything else. I've often read that one of the reasons for not buying grey market equipment from US mail order houses, for example, is that local Cdn offices won't repair them. I just saw this again in another forum, with respect to Nikon Canada.

I understand why they would not honour warranty on grey market equipment, but why wouldn't they repair a unit? For all they know, the owner may have been living in a different country when they bought the equipment.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Canon will repair them, and if it's an issue with the product itself which is cause for recall, or repair on return, they'll usually even fix those for free. (even outside warrenty).
I've also been fortunate to have my grey market stuff covered under warrenty here in Australia without issue.

David Hufford

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 03:53:09 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I e-mailed Nikon concerning this a few years ago. Nikon USA said that they will honor a warranty/repair a camera that was purchased through authorized channels in other countries provided you have receipts or other evidence to prove it. However, it is true that they will not repair true "grey-market" cameras even if you offer to pay. Why? My understanding (from "internet noise") is that since they are not making money on grey market sales (Nikon Japan is, but the regional Nikon is not) it is somewhat counter-productive to repair them.

As mentioned, Canon seems to be do it without problem. Seems to me that it would be better to attract customers instead of angering them by refusing to repair their equipment. ("No, we won't repair your grey-market Nikon-made D2X for any price. However, would you like to buy your next camera from us?")
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 03:53:58 am by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c
Pages: [1]   Go Up