Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web site revised, please review. Thanks!  (Read 2125 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Web site revised, please review. Thanks!
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:21:00 pm »

A few weeks ago I asked for a review of my newly posted web site, Richard Smith Photogaraphy. You can see the thread here http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19205

I have considered many of the comments made and revised the site extensively. I would appreciate comments from the forum. The address is still http://www.myrsphoto.com

I have corrected some alignment problems in IE, changed some font colors and styles, revised the galleries extensively, taken out the gold buttons that seemed to me like they didn't fit as well as making some overall design changes and changes in the galleries.

The photographs in the galleries have been edited much more than in the previous galleries. The older 35mm scans have been replaced by better ones and many good photographs for which I do not have good scans yet have been removed until better scans are available.

Two specific requests: Is the main body font too large?  Chris T, you mentioned not liking the pop-ups. I tried to put information there to keep pages brief but make it available for those who are interested. Is there another way you prefer to do that? I really want the site to be simple yet elegant and for the photographs to be the subject.

I am aware that some of the index pages for the galleries are right aligned but do not know why. The galleries are in a Jalbum and I will post on their forum to see if I can sort that problem out.

Sorry for the long post. My thanks to any of you who are willing to comment. I am interested in comments on the web design, any errors found, galleries and the photography. Thanks to all.

RGS
www.myrsphoto.com

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Web site revised, please review. Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:22 pm »

I think it is a great improvement because you removed some of the less impressive images.  I am in the process of doing the same thing and it can be painful.  The overall effect is far better.

I don't really like spawning a new window for each gallery.  I spent 30 seconds on the new window looking for a link to go back to the homepage.  Generally you should only open a new window when you are sending your viewer to a new website.

* I don't like the logos from W3C and Firefox.
* In your intro text, you mention your gold buttons, although I think you said you got rid of them.
* Some of your images look a bit over-processed: My Webpagehttp://www.myrsphoto.com/Galleries/Oklahoma/slides/568.html
http://www.myrsphoto.com/Galleries/Oklahoma/slides/10.html
 I would be more gentle with the unsharp mask and contrast enhancement.
* You have some significant problems with fonts and font sizes.  If you are using different fonts and sizes deliberately, it isn't working.  

MORE ON FONTS
It appears that you are mixing verdana and arial with different sizes.  If I had to guess, I would think you are struggling with consistently applying your styles in your editor.  Pick one font for text and, if you must, another for headings.  More than two fonts on a page is very difficult to make look good. You used a non-serifed font for your paragraph text and then a serifed font for your headings.  You have it backwards.  While there are no hard and fast rules in typesetting, this is one rule you probably shouldn't break.  

Non-serifed: Arial, Verdana, Geneva
Serifed: Times, Times New Roman, Georgia

Typically, serifed fonts are used to improve readability in paragraphs while non-serifed fonts are used to improve readability in titles or lists.  

I really like your Alaska Photographs.  In my opinion, they stand out as your best. I like this one. I would include only one of the Exit Glacier, Kenai Fijords images.  They are a bit repetitive.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up