Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100ps GP Paper Presets  (Read 4521 times)

William Chitham

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« on: September 15, 2007, 02:14:06 pm »

I wanted to add the paper presets recommended for some non HP papers (Ilford Gallerie Smooth Gloss and Fuji Satin 270) to my z3100psGP. The process all went as described in   the "working with Non HP papers" newsletter except that after the printer had restarted itself the new presets didn't show up in the paper list on the printer or in Colour Centre. Has anyone had any success with this? Perhaps they are not compatible with the ancient firmware that the ps models are still stuck with - speaking of which, has anyone seen any sign of the updated firmware due this month?

Will.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 02:55:03 pm »

Will:  From my experience, it won't show up as a custom paper name in the printer's control panel, but will show the generic category name on the control panel, which you should select when you load the paper.  After profiling, I go to HP Printer Utility:  Manage Papers.  When you have the Manage Papers screen up, click on the refresh button in the lower right corner and it will update the paper list.  After that, in Photoshop's soft proof profile list and printing profile list, you should see your custom profile name and select it.  In the printer driver window, under Image Quality: Paper Type you should again select the generic paper category that the control panel on the printer is set for.  Make sure that you tell APS to save the profile on the computer and the printer's hard drive when you save the profile.  This is how it is working for me, I'd love to hear if others are doing things differently.

I haven't heard anything about the firmware update and have asked HP Tech Support and the technician who was in my office yesterday and neither had any clue as to the timing of an update.  The GP firmware is older than the base model's, but I think it had less issues than the standard firmware, so I'm more interested in the additional control than any specific fixes.  I have to say that the red problem others have complained about is non-existent for me.  I've had good luck matching Pantone reds for graphics and getting saturated reds in photos.  There is still room for improvement, but I have no complaints.

-Ron
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 02:55:21 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »

Yes I think it is different between the non PS and your PS model. I'm just adding a new Hahnemuhle Bamboo paper, profiling it with the new APS multi sheet all as custom/Fine Art >250 g/m2. The added paper name shows in the front panel, and is also shown in APS as Hahnemuhle Bamboo.
Hope it goes well though as I only have ten sheets A3 to try.
The new firmware will be out very soon. It has changes for naming, and ragged edge paper which turns off skew checking.

casterle

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »

This is how it is working for me, I'd love to hear if others are doing things differently.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had the same problem with my 24" ps model. I called HP and was told that you can't use APS to add a new paper to the printer. What you have to do is use the Color Center software to create the profile.

Here's what I've been doing...

Load the paper you want to profile on the printer, and select the closest paper type from the front panel when prompted.

On the PC, start Easy Printer Care. On the Color Center tab click on 'Create and Install ICC Profile'. On the next page, click on the 'Add a new paper' radio button, then click on the Next button. The next page allows you to enter a paper name, and choose the paper type (for some reason, not all paper types are listed - this may have to do with the paper type to selected on the printer).

From this point on you can just follow the prompts to calibrate and profile the paper. Since I'm going to profile the paper with APS anyway, after the calibration is finished, I cancel the procedure and don't profile from within Easy Printer Care. When prompted, I update the paper list in my PC.

This seems to work, but I'm so new at inkjet printing, color management, photoshop, photography, etc that I can't say for sure (I'm doing this as a hobby).

I'd be interested in hearing if what I'm doing is correct!

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 05:17:34 pm »

casterie:  What you are saying is that you calibrate and add the new paper name to the printer's control panel via Easy Printer Care, then profile with APS?  Presumably APS sees that the paper is calibrated and it lets you skip that step and then move directly to profiling?  With your technique, do you wind up with unique vs. generic paper names to choose from on the printer's control panel?
Thanks,
Ron
-Ron H.

William Chitham

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:01 am »

Thanks for all the replies but I think we're talking about different things. I have defined and profiled a number of custom paper types already, with both the colour centre and APS. The key step in this process is choosing the right paper preset, which defines various settings such as carriage height, black ink type and ink limiting, before calibration and profiling (see attached screen grab). HP have made a number of new presets available which can be added to those installed as standard and it is these that I haven't been able to load successfully. All this is explained in the newsletter "Working With Non HP Papers" (I'm looking at v.3 of this, obtained from this location: http://tinyurl.com/2o9vyr , thanks to an earlier poster for this link). The thing is, the newsletter is for firmware v.5004, a non ps version, and I don't know if the process is applicable to a ps model on firmware TR12-TR12PS_4.0.0.6.

So, has anyone had any success with adding paper presets?

[attachment=3274:attachment]

rdonson

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 08:46:24 am »

William,

Here's a link to the HP website for the Z3100ps GP that has paper presets.  I had to login to get to the info.  There's a ref about having the latest firmware and a PDF that's the first one they put out on the topic (May 2007).  

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ron

William Chitham

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:07:53 am »

Quote from: rdonson,Sep 17 2007, 01:46 PM
Here's a link to the HP website for the Z3100ps GP that has paper presets.  I had to login to get to the info.  There's a ref about having the latest firmware and a PDF that's the first one they put out on the topic (May 2007).

Thanks Ron,
Yes, this is pretty much where I came in. I downloaded a couple of presets and installed them as per the instructions but they don't show in the preset list in Colour Centre. I'm guessing that it is a firmware problem but since I can't find any reference to compatability with ps model firmware versions anywhere I thought I'd ask if anyone else had successfully loaded them on a ps printer, or for that matter on a non ps model - have you had any luck with them, and if so do they make a difference?

Regards,

Will.

casterle

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 10:56:44 am »

casterie:  What you are saying is that you calibrate and add the new paper name to the printer's control panel via Easy Printer Care, then profile with APS?  Presumably APS sees that the paper is calibrated and it lets you skip that step and then move directly to profiling?  With your technique, do you wind up with unique vs. generic paper names to choose from on the printer's control panel?
Yes, that's what I'm doing. APS sees that the paper is calibrated, which is what lead me to believe that the calibration had 'taken' even though I'd cancled the EPC profiling after the calibration step.

Using this technique, I end up with the unique name I gave the paper (in EPC) on the control panel in the Custom Papers category and presumably don't affect the calibration of the existing paper that I used as a base.

When I first tried to profile with APS (starting with APS without creating a new paper with EPC), I could not get the new paper to appear on the printer. HP told me that what I had been doing was overwriting the profile of the existing paper with the data from the new paper that I was profiling! I had to restore the original profiles for the installed paper types.

IMHO this system needs improvement (and I know that my level of knowledge needs improvement as well). When I use a new paper, I seem to have no way of being sure that I'm using the right existing paper as a 'base' for the new paper, and since the 'base' paper information controls many important parameters like inking levels, I imaging that making the right choice is critical to getting good results with the new paper.

I'd love to hear suggestions on making the right 'base' paper choice.

casterle

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:16:02 am »

HP have made a number of new presets available which can be added to those installed as standard and it is these that I haven't been able to load successfully.
I had this problem, too. I called HP's tech support about this, and didn't find an answer until my case had been escalated to a 3rd level support engineer.

The problem is that all of those profiles that HP had on their website for the Z3100 were for the non-ps verson. They had NO ps version profiles listed at all, and no indication that what they did have listed didn't work on ps versions. This has since been corrected, as you'll see if you follow the link that William Chitham posted.

The non-ps profiles do not load on a ps machine. The software acts like it's loading them and reports success, but they never appear on the printer control panel. I tried several of them, and one actually did appear on the printer, although even the support engineer couldn't explain why that one worked.

He sent me a DVD with a few profiles on it (as none of them were on the web yet - I had is conversation on 8-28), and told me that other than these few, and the profiles that come installed on the printer, no others were available for the ps version. He did say that they were working on more profiles.

I think the reason that I had to be passed to a 3rd level support engineer to get this answer is that there is confusion within HP regarding the differences between the ps and non-ps versions of the Z3100.  

From what I've read elsewhere on this site, HP is close to releaseing new firmware for the ps model, and I got the impression that new profiles would be released at that time.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 01:10:31 pm »

When I first tried to profile with APS (starting with APS without creating a new paper with EPC), I could not get the new paper to appear on the printer. HP told me that what I had been doing was overwriting the profile of the existing paper with the data from the new paper that I was profiling! I had to restore the original profiles for the installed paper types.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139938\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

casterie:  Are you saying that you were overwriting the existing profiles, even when you gave them a new name, simply because you started the calibration process with a stock paper name?  With the process that I am using, doing it all within APS, I get as far as calibrating with a stock name, but create a custom named profile that shows up in Photoshop and on the HP driver window.  My understanding was that I was simply using the ink limiting and other settings from the paper presets, but that everything else was specific to my profile and handled by APS.  I can see your approach working fine, but question what I could be overwriting.  Perhaps I'm losing multiple paper calibrations that are made, if more than one is calibrated using the same paper type?  I know that I am not overwriting any stock profiles.
-(the other) Ron
-Ron H.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 01:28:35 pm »

Actually there still is the question of adding new media set ups, compared to using an existing set up. This is supposed to be improved in the next V6 firmware update.
The doc on adding custom set ups is on the HP site, which does explain it. A bit hard to understand when and where overwriting can and does occur. It's probably easier to wait for the update which is not on the HP{ server yet) as of today...

casterle

z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 05:40:19 pm »

casterie:  Are you saying that you were overwriting the existing profiles, even when you gave them a new name, simply because you started the calibration process with a stock paper name?
Not because I was using a stock paper as the base upon which to create the new paper, but because I had not created a new paper on the printer first with Easy Printer Care.

With the process that I am using, doing it all within APS, I get as far as calibrating with a stock name, but create a custom named profile that shows up in Photoshop and on the HP driver window.
This sounds like what I was doing. When I was using only APS, I was giving my profiles a new name, and saving them to both the disk and the printer. I was also saving the measurement data to disk. The profiles were not showing up on the printer, although I could find them on the disk just fine. I didn't look for them in Photoshop or in the printer driver list, so I don't know if they showed up there or not.

I know that I am not overwriting any stock profiles.
I can't say if I was really overwriting them or not because I don't know how to tell for sure. HP said that I was, so I used EPC to restore the factory profiles for the types that I had used as base types. This is easy to do via EPC/Color Center/Restore Factory ICC Profile.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
z3100ps GP Paper Presets
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 06:25:11 pm »

Thanks, casterle.  Still more questions than answers.  It would be nice if the HP Tech Support folks had a bit more familiarity with APS.  I'm at a second disadvantage with them since I'm working on a Mac.
-Ron
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up