Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a desktop inkjet printer  (Read 7287 times)

01af

Moving a desktop inkjet printer
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:31:26 am »

I am almost ready to drop the money and get a decent 17" inkjet photo printer finally. I think I'll get the Epson Stylus Pro 3800. I've also been looking at the Canon iPF 5000 (and yes, I did notice this model's latest price drop) ... but at 41 kg/90 lbs this model is too large and too heavy for me.

The point is---I will need to move the printer occasionally (maybe twice a year or so). I will carry it down a stairway (alone, no help) and into the trunk of my car, and then back again.

Question: Can I haul a large desktop inkjet printer (the Epson 3800, specifically) around when it's set up and ready for operation (i. e. with all ink cartridges installed)? Or will I have to uninstall the cartridges, flush the ink lines, and lock any moving parts? If the latter, how much of an hassle is it to get the printer ready for transport/for operation, and much ink will get lost?

And oh, is there any information/rumour/announcement about an Epson 3880 yet?

-- Olaf

SteveBlack

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 11:18:15 am »

I am almost ready to drop the money and get a decent 17" inkjet photo printer finally. I think I'll get the Epson Stylus Pro 3800. I've also been looking at the Canon iPF 5000 (and yes, I did notice this model's latest price drop) ... but at 41 kg/90 lbs this model is too large and too heavy for me.

The point is---I will need to move the printer occasionally (maybe twice a year or so). I will carry it down a stairway (alone, no help) and into the trunk of my car, and then back again.

Question: Can I haul a large desktop inkjet printer (the Epson 3800, specifically) around when it's set up and ready for operation (i. e. with all ink cartridges installed)? Or will I have to uninstall the cartridges, flush the ink lines, and lock any moving parts? If the latter, how much of an hassle is it to get the printer ready for transport/for operation, and much ink will get lost?

And oh, is there any information/rumour/announcement about an Epson 3880 yet?

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From my limited experience and previous online research (read: not an overly informed opinion  ), if the printer is kept level during the move, it isn't worth flushing the ink lines ($) before the move.  I can't speak to the ability of one person to move the 3800, though I've heard it is fairly reasonably sized.

The ipf5000 would be impossible to move on your own and keep it level (likely just plain impossible to move on your own, at lest for most people).

Hope that is somewhat helpful!

Steve

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:32:17 pm »

Olaf,

Moving the 3800 occasionally (or even frequently) is no problem. You do not need to remove the carts or flush the lines before you move the printer. In fact, it is significantly better if you leave the carts inside the printer, properly installed, when you transport the printer. This applies even if you ship the printer. With the carts removed, you risk air bubbles getting into the print head and causing severe clogs.

The 3800 user manual has detailed instructions for transporting and/or shipping the printer. In short, there's nothing special you have to do if just moving it short distances. It may be wise to run a nozzle check and/or a print head alignment after transporting the printer.

No info about a 3880 yet. I assume you are thinking about a 3800-like printer with the new Vivid Magenta ink set and other goodies. No such announcement yet from Epson, but one can expect an eventual update within a year or two. (Remember, the 3800 is just about a year old -- the last of the K3 printers.)
Eric Chan

ScottWald

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:47:16 pm »

I probably shouldn't have done this, but back in May I taped the print head on my 3800 in place, put it in the backseat of my car, drove from New York to Halifax, printed there for two months, then taped the head again and put it back in the car, drove to Newfoundland, printed an entire 24-image exhibition, then taped the head once again and drove all the way back to New York, all without any hint of trouble--not even a clog.  I'm not a big fellow, and was able to carry the printer 50 yards or so with reasonable confidence. I'm not encouraging you to do the same, but this was my experience, for what it's worth.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:57:08 pm »

I probably shouldn't have done this, but back in May I taped the print head on my 3800 in place, put it in the backseat of my car, drove from New York to Halifax, printed there for two months, then taped the head again and put it back in the car, drove to Newfoundland,etc[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=139500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I too did that drive recently and think about it often. I loved the angled light and moody maritime weather. I did the drive without a printer but FWIW, when I got back my 4000 was clogged but not the 4800 or ipf 5000. Man, what a great drive that was! Cheers.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up