Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EOS 40D  (Read 2424 times)

digital novice

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
EOS 40D
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:11:54 pm »

Canon states that the 40D has 14 bit processing.  As a digital novice, I'm wondering if this processing applies to RAW files?  In other words, if I export the RAW files to Photoshop, does the 40D RAW file contain more information than the RAW file from the 400D (xti)?
Logged

phila

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 327
    • www.philaphoto.com
EOS 40D
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:33:06 pm »

Quote
Canon states that the 40D has 14 bit processing.  As a digital novice, I'm wondering if this processing applies to RAW files?  In other words, if I export the RAW files to Photoshop, does the 40D RAW file contain more information than the RAW file from the 400D (xti)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135534\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It only applies to the RAW files in as much as post processing is concerned, as while the JPEGs are originally "constructed" from the full 14 bit RAW, and thus get some benefit, they still end up as 8 bit.

Yes there is more "information". The analogy normally used is that of a ladder. The cameras may (for sake of the argument) have the same dynamic range - height of the ladder - but 14 bit gives you many more steps (graduations of tone) between the top and bottom, compared with 8 or 12 bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up