Hi guys,
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. My shop can't get ram for a week or two so I'm back to square one with Lightroom.
I did as recommended above as best I know how, and then homed in on the work: Hey presto, no crashes, no whirring, no smoke from the computer, no virtual memory running low, no egg timer while LR did its thing, no interminable delays In fact, everything went like a dream. It was the smoothest session yet in my experience with Lightroom. All this without the extra ram.
I turned off a few things like AVG, Zone Alarm, etc. Turned on Task Manager and I noticed that the minute I did anything much in Lightroom, the CPU usage soars to 100% quite a bit. Is this telling me that in the long run, more ram is just a stopgap measure and that I really need more processing power along the lines you have suggested. Having said that, however, I see users with very powerful firepower also having speed problems with Lightroom.
Anyway, whether tonight's session is just 'a fluke' remains to be seen, but I want to express my sincere thanks to you all for helping out with your suggestions. Being a pessimist at heart, however, I fear I may be back to haunt you again with more questions!
Seamus