Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow Question  (Read 1651 times)

monkeydeus

Workflow Question
« on: August 22, 2007, 01:29:51 pm »

I am grudgingly moving away from the folder-centric approach as  I get more used to Lightroom's alternative categorization tools.  My problem is this: previously, I would organize by folders, and in each main or top level folder, I would have an "output" subfolder.  Items in this folder would be named according to their output purpose, e.g. MyPic1_W for web use, MyPic1_P for printer use, etc.  The other nice thing about this, was, I could use the PS image processor script, and point it at my output folder, to get another subfolder to hold the jpgs that the script processed.

I can't think of an elegant way to model this in lightroom.  I've resorted for now to just color coding the secondary, non-master copies.  Blue for web, purple for print.  However, the other problem then, is if I create a copy of my master file, it winds up with a name like MyPic-edit-edit.tif.  

So my two questions, general and specific respectively, are:

1) What have you found is the most effective way to manage copies of images that are for specific purposes, e.g. web or print.  This assumes that you want to keep separate copies, be it for specific output sharpening, size, what have you.

2) Is there some way to get away from the -edit-edit naming convention?  I know you can configure the base name and put whatever codes you want in it, but it seems to me, regardless of what tokens you use, you are just going to be getting a duplicate clause in the name when you open a copy of a master to create a different version.  I rely on the stack functionality, so don't want to lose that, I am just surprised that Lightroom has to stack based on actual file name (or so it appears) -  I would have thought there would be a hidden file identifier that would enable one to dynamically rename a pic in PS when saving (e.g. MyPic1Web) and still have it associated with the stack.  I checked, and you can't.

Thanks much for any suggestions  
Pages: [1]   Go Up