Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a Watch  (Read 32350 times)

Andy M

• http://
Buying a Watch
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2007, 11:59:25 am »

I recently took delivery of:

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Buying a Watch
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2007, 02:36:16 pm »

I bought a cheap Rolex Oyster knock off in Hong Kong some years ago. Two full rotations of the hour hand takes 28 hours - I guess that is where Chinese productivity comes from 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My girlfriend got me a Chairman Mao watch from China a few years back.
But there was a problem as the watch stopped before she gave it to me and she and her work colleagues  were completely baffled as to how to replace the battery.

It was a wind up watch!
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
Buying a Watch
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2007, 02:54:10 pm »

Yep, Rolex will take you to the cleaners whenever you get your watch serviced. Mine has cost me about $600 each time I've had it in. Their "minimum" in the U.S. is $300 for cleaning, etc.

Thing is, you´re supposed to re-proof and service a Rolex Submariner every year. I have done so about three times since ´72 or ´73 when I bought mine. The first time, in Scotland, it was away for about two months; the next time, in Spain, they lost it for about the same length of time and on the last occassion it came back more accurate than it had ever been since new. Go figure that one out!

Pull out a couple links and adjust the band - no need for it to fall off your hand - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

I´ve long abandoned the sea to the fish - the heaviest duty it´s had (the watch) in the last ten years is facing the inside of a pool. I took an intense dislike of the ocean experience - the shore, that is, whilst my experience and pleasure in boats died with my friend who had a few of them. The single, most important thing I learned from him about boats was that they are never big enough, even at over 90ft.; another thing I picked up was that it´s fun when you have a crew - you just leave all of the hassle to them. Equally, I also learned that a crew that doesn´t want to go somewhere will quickly find a mechanical or electronic reason why a trip at a precise time is currently impossible to contemplate.

The Rolex, however, just sits there on my arm, getting heavier and more loose as I get older and thinner.

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=148600\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Lin

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2007, 04:02:26 am »

Andy M

Act now, or forever rue the day you lacked the courage to get your own back!

Lin

The band is set at its second-last smallest hole - I don´t dare go the last notch in case my life runs out of even more options than nature intended...

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 04:05:58 am by Rob C »

Ray

Buying a Watch
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2007, 04:22:19 am »

What is it about this obsession with watches? Four pages about watches on a photography forum??

I hope you guys do not buy cameras with the same sort of motivation that people seem to have who buy expensive watches. Ie. jewelery and status symbol.  

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2007, 01:39:06 pm »

Actually, Ray, in my case at least you are mistaken.

I first saw, and fell in love with the Rolex design ethic when I was a lad of about twelve years of age, long before I had any notions of ostentation etc., for which I might well have made up since, but that´s another story altogether.

Some things in life are valuable for their own, intrinsic charm; a Rolex of the right design is one such. I have no qualms about condemning the wrong type: I have a relation who went into the marque and bought a monstrosity bedecked with diamonds around the bezel which has had the net effect of turning him into a bookie look-alike. I would not, of course, venture to tell him so: he might run me over with his CLS....

Ciao - Rob C
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 01:41:27 pm by Rob C »

stever

Buying a Watch
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2007, 01:42:13 am »

i love my casio disposable plastic watch - weigts nothing, costs almost nothing, extra time zone, calculator, and keeps nearly perfect time - and frees up the budget for cameras and lenses

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2007, 06:40:41 am »

Thing is, a Rolex (in my opinion) is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase which gets handed down through the generations; I don´t imagine myself buying anything else again, unless it gets stolen. One watch per adult lifetime is even good for your carbon footprint, when you think about it. Certainly not a lot of people think about having to recycle them, the watches...

Rob C

macgyver

Buying a Watch
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2007, 01:45:14 pm »

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2007, 02:31:31 pm »

Indeed; it would go very well with those trendy sandles that people sport out here when they come on holiday - you know, the things made up from old tyres, nouveau pauvre fashion at its most pure.

Rob C

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Buying a Watch
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:13 pm »

Thing is, a Rolex (in my opinion) is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase which gets handed down through the generations; I don´t imagine myself buying anything else again, unless it gets stolen. One watch per adult lifetime is even good for your carbon footprint, when you think about it. Certainly not a lot of people think about having to recycle them, the watches...

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=149145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My husband bought a Rolex 35 years ago from his first season of growing smallcrops. He left school at year 11 and ran his dad's farm with an agreement that he could keep the net profit for that season. It was a blinder of a year and he purchased his Rolex, with the intention of it being an heirloom.

When we were first dating he had had his watch for about 6 years, and as young men do - was trying to impress me with his machoness. He decided to scale to the top of the mast of a 70 foot sailing boat and dive from the spreaders. The dive was not as spectacular as he had hoped and he landed flat on his back. After many of us dived in to rescue his motionless body, on the deck he realised his Rolex had broken the band and was on the bottom of the ocean. Desperate as he was to reclaim his Rolex, we hired a diver with a metal detector to dive where the boat was anchored. To no avail.  An heirloom no more !    
ps. he now has a TAG-Heuer for diving

Julie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:47:44 pm by jule »

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Buying a Watch
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:20 pm »

A Stainless Daytona.

You bastard!

At its list of $7K or whatever I'd probably buy it with cash.  I just can't pay the extra $4K markup though, and the DeBeers-style artificial supply limitations burns my butt.

Ray

Buying a Watch
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2007, 03:17:08 am »

Yep! Definitely status symbols and items of jewelery; quite unlike cameras.  

Andy M

• http://
Buying a Watch
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2007, 04:43:08 am »

A Stainless Daytona.

You bastard!

At its list of $7K or whatever I'd probably buy it with cash.  I just can't pay the extra $4K markup though, and the DeBeers-style artificial supply limitations burns my butt.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150157\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Over here in the UK they're approx $9,000, and $13,000 with the markup  

I waited a few years to get mine. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much if I'd paid over the odds.

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2007, 06:31:03 am »

Yep! Definitely status symbols and items of jewelery; quite unlike cameras. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150194\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Clearly no loss of sense of humour, then!

Rob C

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Buying a Watch
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2007, 11:51:33 am »

Over here in the UK they're approx $9,000, and $13,000 with the markup   

I waited a few years to get mine. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much if I'd paid over the odds.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well that's because you have all that VAT to pay to the queen  

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2007, 03:18:40 pm »

Well that's because you have all that VAT to pay to the queen 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bad info, baby: that VAT goes to finance the Surrender Monkey farmers and their Suddenly Pacifist neighbours who favour thin men with moustaches. The poor old Queen just takes all the kicks and is unable, because of the crappy UK laws and protocol, to defend herself  and her family against all the speculative rubbish that is produced around her and hers.

That, my friend, is the reality of freedom of speach: as long as it enables the sale of gutter periodicals, suits the morality (joking, here) of the ruling left-wing party and keeps the what´s-yours-is-mine voters faithful , anything goes.

Rob C

Edit: I should add that the main beneficiaries of the Common Market, much to nobody´s surprise, are the Euro politicians who live high on the hog at our expense (the infamous VAT), pay zero taxation on their salaries, employ their immediate families on the same VAT-powered account and laugh their collective heads off at us, the mugs that keep them there.

As a matter of interest, I remember when VAT was introduced to the UK: it raised the cost of living by the same direct amount; complicated my business tax return no end and the paperwork was horrific. I was also here in Spain at the start of it, and on the very first day of the new regulation we went to the local café for our usual coffee and it had doubled in cost. Yes, doubled. So yes, I do have a very short fuse on that topic.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:03:17 pm by Rob C »

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Buying a Watch
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

Edit: I should add that the main beneficiaries of the Common Market, much to nobody´s surprise, are the Euro politicians who live high on the hog at our expense (the infamous VAT), pay zero taxation on their salaries, employ their immediate families on the same VAT-powered account and laugh their collective heads off at us, the mugs that keep them there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Clearly the real beneficiaries are the major international corporations who can move their goods across borders more freely and cheaply. THEY benefit far more than the few bureuacrats living high of the hog.
I sincerely doubt there'd be a common market if it wasn't in the interests of capital.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Buying a Watch
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2007, 11:20:05 am »

Personally I own over 25 watches....I don't choose them for status as I can't afford the watches that purport to have 'status'. My favorite brands are Tissot, Seiko and Hamilton. I doubt you can get better value for money than with these brands. They are great watches in the $100 - $600 range.
For me a watch is a fashion accessory. For example, I choose the one I am wearing to match my shirt or activity. If I am sporty casual I'll pick a nice diver's watch or chrono. If I am at the office I'll pick a classier watch to match my attire. I often buy a leather strap top match the dial. Seiko 5 are great cheap watches. I also own a Chairman Mao watch that I wear on occassion with my red shirt.

Rob C

Buying a Watch
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2007, 04:27:51 am »

Clearly the real beneficiaries are the major international corporations who can move their goods across borders more freely and cheaply. THEY benefit far more than the few bureuacrats living high of the hog.
I sincerely doubt there'd be a common market if it wasn't in the interests of capital.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You would appear to have completely forgotten the economic migrants currently swelling the national debt of the more ´western´ countries within said Common Market - it appears to me that they are getting much more out of it than any major business, which was always able to go wherever it wanted to anyhow.

Buying companies outwith one´s own country has usually required permission from a long variety of foreign governmental bodies - to the gratification of many officials´ pockets - so a little light corruption was never far from the centre of things. The difference now, with the advent of the CM, is that it is increasingly more difficult to throw the mothers out  - they have an even wider common interest grouping behind them than ever before: why would any of them rock the gravy train?

Frankly, if something is in the interest of capital, then it is in the interest of the mechanism that makes the world go round. Without capital and capitalists you have Cuba and the failed USSR, North Korea et al. No other way has ever worked for the basic reasons that all people are not created equal, will never attain equality and if they have any talents they are normally quite different. That allows the differences to capitalise (one of your favourite words, perhaps?) on the collective talents or abilities available and, in coming together, produce a holistic solution to trading one talent for another. But even there, it is acknowledged within the power structures themselves that regulation is necessary

Of course, the big fly in that ointment is the one with no talent whatsoever. Anybody have a swat?

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:50:05 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up