Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squashed image with EPSON 3800  (Read 3161 times)

wesley

• http://www.memphiswest.com
Squashed image with EPSON 3800
« on: August 21, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »

Hello all,

I have had some images printed on A4 (1 inch border) in B&W via the latest driver (via ABW). I am using on Windows XP with a Apple Cinema Display 20" at native rez. On closer inspection, the images are slightly squashed compared to the screen display in CS2 and Bridge. I can tell because they are half body shots. Does anyone else have the same experience? It's really bizarre because I never had this issue with the 2100.

Best
Wesley

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:36:56 pm »

Hi Wesley, can you explain in more detail? Do you mean that part of the printed image is cut off? Or that somehow the image is being scaled in a way you do not expect? Quick sanity check: since you know what the output dimensions are supposed to be, try measuring the exact printed dimensions and compare. They should match pretty closely ...
Eric Chan

wesley

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:18:02 am »

Hi Wesley, can you explain in more detail? Do you mean that part of the printed image is cut off? Or that somehow the image is being scaled in a way you do not expect? Quick sanity check: since you know what the output dimensions are supposed to be, try measuring the exact printed dimensions and compare. They should match pretty closely ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding. The is image is a 36.98cm x 24.59cm 300dpi image. I resized it via CS2 to 24.69cm x 16.41cm (449dpi). There is no loss in data. The print out measures 24.7cm x 16.4cm. It corresponds to the CS2 size.

I also took a ruler and measured the image on screen. The ratio is 1.506, a 0.002 difference from the size reported by CS2.

The horizontal image is not cropped in any way. It just looks squashed in the vertical axis. I haven't noticed this effect because I have done portrait shots in the vertical format. In that case, the squash effect would have been in the horizontal axis, meaning the person's face would have been thinner. That's a good thing in my book. :-)

And just before I finished this post, I realized I had the same image printed on a A5ish glossy print by my old Epson 2100 (my mistake on the 1st post, i didn't the check the print of the same image). I checked and looks the same as the A4 print, there's a squashiness to the image that I haven't noticed before.

It could be due to:

a. rasterizing algorithm of the driver
b. my XP system
c. both

I have a old powerbook g4 on hand, I'll try to print the same image in the next few days and see how that goes.

Best regards
Wesley
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:28:34 am by wesley »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:58 pm »

I'm amazed you can see a squashing effect. What you are saying is that your printed image differs from the reference by 1/10th of a millimeter, which is pretty darn small. Am I missing something?
Eric Chan

wesley

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:53:36 pm »

I'm amazed you can see a squashing effect. What you are saying is that your printed image differs from the reference by 1/10th of a millimeter, which is pretty darn small. Am I missing something?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Eric,

I've made a mistake, sorry for wasting your time. Just now, I did a quick shot of the print, processed it without touch-ups and resized the image and print to the same size.

The image on top is the CS2 image, The bottom image is the print. Open the image up in CS2 or Windows Preview. On first glance the woman's body on the bottom print looks fatter (or squashed). I wanted to be sure and over-layed the images, they turned out to be exactly the same. It was some sort of an optical illusion and it's even more apparent with a dark background, it had me fooled.

Apologies,
Wesley
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:15:20 pm by wesley »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 08:21:18 pm »

Gotcha, glad you figured it out.  
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up